400,000 cars on the roads without a WOF

Page 3 / 7
franc123, May 15, 11:19am
They can't do that either unless where its parked is classified as a public road. Otherwise its no different to a warden demanding to enter your garage to check WoF expirys. Not legal.

cjohnw, May 15, 11:19am
Agree.
New vehicles only require a new wof after 3 years.
My car is due it’s first wof (after delivery) in August this year.

franc123, May 15, 11:23am
The MTA are fond of putting these statistics into the public domain and putting a dangerous spin on it because their members lost a considerable amount of inspection business when 6 month WoF's got scrapped on the over 6yo/back to Y2K model cars. Thats all.

gazzat22, May 15, 12:19pm
If a supermarket isnt a public Place what is ?.Is it considered public property? My mother got a ticket a few years ago for her car which she had reregistered but not put the new sticker on.My dad had just died so she had other things on her mind.This was a Council Warden in a public car park and the council were very reluctant to waive it.

curlcrown, May 15, 12:30pm
With fully comprehensive insurance you would not have to worry about you car being covered by my “unsafe wreck”

bill-robinson, May 15, 12:32pm
i already pay a lot on top of the pittance you pay if you register your vehicle. but if everyone pays it would not increase as you claim.

bill-robinson, May 15, 12:36pm
but why should i cover your unsafe wreck and pay for the priviledge. user pays was the word i got when i returned a few yeas ago.you do not want to pay get off the roads.

apollo11, May 15, 12:44pm
Hoho, so old and yet so naive. Look at the average cost to insure in the UK, several hundred pounds per year! And old people like you get to pay far more, because you are considered to be less safe.
A better way would be for your insurance company, whom you pay a stack of money to, to completely cover all of your expenses (including any excesses), and then take the uninsured party who hit you to court and pummel them for their losses.

apollo11, May 15, 12:45pm
And the people who don't have insurance now, will still not get compulsory insurance, anyway.

tygertung, May 15, 12:50pm
Why should the police be doing safety inspections? They are not mechanics. It takes several years apprenticeship to become a mechanic, should the police have to do a mechanic's apprenticeship before they can become a police officer?

bill-robinson, May 15, 12:54pm
use the english system with the cameras stop, no proof confiscate the car. get insurance pay storage and towing get you car back. makes money all round. and they also have yearly inspections.

apollo11, May 15, 1:08pm
Enjoy your sky high premiums then. I suggest you move there.

alowishes, May 15, 1:08pm
There’s a few people from Alexandra that could tell you different about being in a supermarket car park and getting tickets.

cjohnw, May 15, 1:11pm
Not actually. Young drivers in the UK are considered to be a massive risk and insurance for them is astronomical.
We have family in England and their V8 Range Rover is insured for the parents only. The teenage son could not get insurance cover so cannot drive it.
He has a small VW which is all he could buy and get insurance cover for.

apollo11, May 15, 1:15pm
Yes, young people pay thousands in yearly premiums, if they can get insurance at all.
At age 50 premiums are lowest, then they start to rise again with increasing age.

curlcrown, May 15, 1:15pm
Why do you assume I’m not paying to use the roads? Insurance has nothing to do with paying to be on the road.

franc123, May 15, 1:33pm
Correct, thats why it needs to be done by another separate body of appropriately trained people who can make correct judgements on these things. I dont know how old you are but many of the former staff of the MoT, latterly known as the traffic safety service 30+ years ago were indeed former mechanics. But like I said this is an excercise politicians dont want to know about.

cjohnw, May 15, 2:06pm

saxman99, May 15, 2:33pm
There’s a bloke in my street driving a car which hasn’t had a WoF or licence for a couple of years. It has fallen off the system, a nzta search just comes up with an error. Presumably when he gets caught they’ll take it off him. The car is about 20 years old but appears to be in good nick so I’m not sure why he would let it go so long. The thing that bugs me is that I share the road with people like him who likely haven’t had their brakes, tyres, suspension etc checked for ages. Oh well.

tgray, May 15, 2:40pm
So about one in every 10 cars on NZ roads does not have a current WOF?
I simply don't believe it.

bill-robinson, May 15, 2:57pm
i lived there for 25 years which comic do you get your info from?
1970 plymouyh roadrunner 3rd party,fire, and theft 90 pounds a year. tell me again how expensive it is.

apollo11, May 15, 3:34pm
I'd be interested to find out just what that insurance would cost you nowadays, especially with your advanced age.

franc123, May 15, 3:39pm
Yes well all sorts of dodgy things happen there, its not called Central for no reason. Greed Central or Extortion Central are good alternative names for 'Central' Otago. Mind you DCC aren't any better but thats a whole other story.

houseofdad, May 15, 3:58pm
But there is already hundreds of thousands of vehicles with no WOF, so where are all these accidents that are soley down to a vehicle not being to a warrant of fitness standard ?

Too are countries that do not require a wolf accident rates any higher than ours ?

kazbanz, May 15, 4:04pm
ACTUALLY Just thinking about it--of about 70 cars sitting here about 20 of them aren't complied yet let alone having a WOF.
Then there are the trades which may/may not come in with a WOF
Im just a small yard so even if you half my 20 cars and multiply it by the number of dealers that's 10x3000 cars 30000 cars.