Toyota fielder reliability

sasabro, Jan 27, 10:33am
Hi there, any experience with toyota fielders reliability? I'm a bit wary on buying an earlier version of hybrid. Do they stand the test of time?

msigg, Jan 27, 12:34pm
Well my son has an older fielder its done 240k no problems and my daughter the newer version, slightly more power and economy, they are not hybrid, but toyota lead the way in this tech, i would have no hesitation buying the hybrid if wanted, do your normal ppi and good to go.

intrade, Jan 27, 1:43pm
fact is a battery lasts under best circumstance 14 years . i would not buy any old hybrid. Pure based on that fact and that best case is hardly ever going to happen when that's the figures on paper

meow_mix, Jan 27, 1:50pm
The Toyota Fielder is basically a top-spec Corolla with a different badge, they are the epitome of a reliable car, excellent Toyota reliabilty. You could just buy the non hybrid version. As Intrade said, any hybrid car will have it's own issues, but taxi drivers like them so they must be quite good.

s_nz, Jan 27, 2:02pm
As somebody who owns a hybrid over 14 years old, I can confirm your fact is false.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 2:07pm
They have proven to be 'boringly reliable" . The ONLY issues I have had with the several we have imported is the STARTER battery dying/being dead.
Just to clarify this point -the starter battery is in essence a normal 40 ah battery which costs about $100. Its reasonable to expect a 7-8 year old normal car battery to be dead

intrade, Jan 27, 2:47pm
yea let me guess you also still have the original tyres as they also never worn out right.

Anyway. There are several known problems with the Toyota Fielder Hybrid. One common issue is that the hybrid battery may fail prematurely, requiring expensive replacement. Another issue is that the Fielder Hybrid may have problems with the electric power steering system, which can cause the steering to feel heavy and unresponsive. Additionally, some owners have reported problems with the transmission, including jerking and hesitation when accelerating. Overall, these issues can be frustrating and costly for owners of the Toyota Fielder Hybrid.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 2:57pm
Given the age of the oldest Fielder hybrid for sale : here" is 2013 that means 7 years more running with no issues based on your numbers.
Based on my experience your numbers are wrong. I'd say for non commercial use you should expect 20 years.

intrade, Jan 27, 3:00pm
https://www.serratoyota.com/blog/toyota-hybrid-battery-life-expectancy/
i should live to 150 also. should. is not would.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 3:04pm
My comment was Based on my experience they should.
This is from trading in a reasonable number of older (gen 2/3) Prius
Your link doesn't give a time based longevity and its distance comments are vague at best

s_nz, Jan 27, 3:10pm
Tires have been changed once in my ownership. At 202,000, and being a heavy, powerfull vehicle it would have chewed through a few sets in it's time.

It's far from maintenance free. Had a new radiator put in yesterday due to a crack in it. Also in my ownership it has had a new cambelt, waterpump, new rear break pads & rotors, new spark plugs, new trans fluid, and I had the aircon gas & oil replaced as a precaution (apparently it can go conductive and cause the motor to fail - A hybrid specific issue as the air con compressor is electric rather than belt driven).

intrade, Jan 27, 3:20pm
my comment is based on facts from chemists explaining battery lifespan and facts toyota them self made public. The risk and cost to have to replace a battery is far to high considering the little saving you get.
100 tousend miles is 160,000km .
just because somone thinks it should last longer does not mean it does when toyota states that it dont.
#11 you start to proof my point in case you did not notice .

msigg, Jan 27, 3:27pm
Kaz is on to it, he has to trade, buy or sell some of these things so i think he knows what he is talking about.videos and u tube are not here on the ground with these in new zealand, give kaz some credit. s_nz jas real world experience from his own vehicle. These are worthy comments.

intrade, Jan 27, 3:32pm
as per 11 that is correct the Aircondition compressor oil needs to be special non conductive . as its high voltage driven and it would result in fire if somone used normal AC oil

s_nz, Jan 27, 4:54pm
It is powered off the 288v nominal traction battery pack, and my understanding is that the motor contained in the pressurized system, avoiding issues with a seal leak, and the need for other cooling for it. This does mean it is exposed to the AC refrigerant and oil, which as you say is special non conductive stuff. Apparently it can turn conductive after many years, damaging the the motor, and requiring an expensive repair, so I had it swapped as a precaution. Cost $180. I think regassing a cars aircon at the 10-12 year, cira 150,000km is a good idea anyway, to keep the system preforming well.

No idea if other toyota / lexus hybrids use the same system.

BTW, under IEEE definitions only DC voltages above 1500v are considered to be "high voltage". This is where the defining risk changes from electric shock to electric arcing.

dutchess46, Jan 28, 5:15pm
Friend has a 3yr 3mth Renault EV that has died just out of warranty.
Dealer does not want to know. $30,000 to replace.
Lets all go EV. Great savings with your motoring costs.

kazbanz, Jan 29, 10:15am
What has a piece of eurotrash EV got in any way to do with a high quality Jap HYBRID?

intrade, Jan 29, 10:42am
what it has to do is the same battery chemistry is used and there is 2 big players who supply cells LG and Panasonic.
Tesla makes no battery they use Panasonic cells. its only electric hesus who pretends otherwise.
same cells same chemistry same chance for 1 or more cells to fail.
also Dewalt milwaukee makita original power tools will most probably have the same 18650 cells that tesla uses hundreds off in each of the packs.
The trick is how they are charged and balanced . Like Hilti is the worlds best tool to balance charge there cells its why i own HILTI tools and nothing else and why my 300 doller flashlight still works after 6 years from phillips . There is a chance the toyota hybrid battery have as good a charge system as hilti The worst system is on nissan leaf Who use LG puches if i recall correct. 14 Years is the expected live span of a lithium ion chemistry like the panasonic 18650 cells. they also have a live span of charge discharge . before dendrites make it thru the separator and short it dead.
overcharge under discharge is the death of the cells premature. faulty charge electronics is death also as dominos fall

intrade, Jan 29, 11:02am
x1
The GM volt EV has 20% charge left in the pack when the car wont move its to stop under-discharge and premature damage to the pack. Toyota share the same battery tech Rav 4 toyota EV1 Gm 1996 who killed the electric car docu if you want to know who has the wolds best R&D for electric cars . So why dont toyota made full electric cars. well REASONS. electric cars are over-hyped is 100% correct.
i almost did buy the best hybrid the volt range extender. but having to repair the battery sooner or later made me not go ahead plus the fact that electric to charge the battery cost me more then diesel once electrics need to pay RUC.

kazbanz, Jan 29, 11:16am
The point being a Feilder is NOT a full EV nor is it even a PHEV and they have many years of proven reliability. That specific eurotrash not so much

sw20, Jan 29, 12:00pm
intrade Toyota use NiMh in their hybrids which have been shown to be far more durable than these early stage lithium cells. This is why you see Prius Taxis with 400,000km on the OG battery.

gblack, Jan 29, 3:24pm
They use a mix. Most Prius are NiMh, but the Prime PHEV versions use LiION.

Toyota NZ the batteries - LiION or NiMH for up to 160,000kms or 8 years*.
There are a couple of PHEVs on TM with 170,000+ km (Outlanders) but not heard of any issues and there will not doubt be enterprising people getting into battery refurb business

s_nz, Jan 29, 8:58pm
To my knowledge the fielder gets a Nickel-Metal Hydride pack.

sw20, Sep 21, 8:53am
Indeed, they have only just started in the last couple of years in very select models using the Li-ion cells.