Nissan Wingroad vs. Toyota Fielder

andy61, Apr 11, 8:22pm
The Nissan engine have issues with the timing chain stretching,can be expensive to fix .Go for a 1800 Fielder,awsesome cars.

intrade, Apr 11, 8:34pm
x1
naigboug got a corolla 2008 model new for 18 grand it was the 1.5 vvti engine manual and she always complained it had no power unless she reved it she now traded it in and got a same year 1.8 and paid 8 grand on top . She was to stinchy to pay the extra money for the 1,8 at the beginning. personally i seen no problem with the 1.5 you just have to rev em up to 3500rpm to get the power as i suspect its variable timing is only shifting at higher rpm to produce power. Personally i would have looked in to remapping the ecu for mor low end power but she got plenty money just pretends she dont like all rich people.
on that basis you would want to test drive the 1,5 it myght not be your cup of tea and you would want the 1.8 also autotrans are better on toyota usually then nissan you would have to ask a automatic trans rebuilder place as to how reliable the auto trans is on the car you like better.

gg_s2h, Apr 11, 10:25pm
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Think we'll stick with what we know (and what our mechanic told us would be a good way to go) and that's Toyota. Interesting about the difference between the 1.5 and 1.8, I'll take a couple for a test drive and see what I like/feels like.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 11:10pm
x1
hi, me n other half had to make same decision back dec 2010 and decided to go the nissan wingroad way. we got a 2001 version with 73,000 on clock for $6500 from turners car auction (which was actually listed here on trademe). we are the first owner. came with real dark factory tints which is a bonus as we got 3 dogs to load into the boot so keeping them cool was a priority. the chain driven meant to cambelt to worry about. i do the regular 5-10000k oil and filter change myself and it hasn't missed a beat. with the 1.5l engine it was perfect for what we needed. it had pretty reasonable power at lower torque band and it takes off when we throttle it. it may not be as spacious if you are of large build, but small to medium you should be sweet. it's pretty good on long road trips. we goto rotoruaevery few weeks from wellington and cost us $80 bucks car loaded with me n missus, our baby, luguage and 3 dogs in boot. very quiet car. auto shifts smoothly. can't complain.

erosmf, Apr 11, 11:21pm
x2
I have a Wingroad.its a lovely wee wagon, very spacious, I can even sleep in the back. The wagon part is wider than most I think and no wheel thingys to get in the way when packing stuff.
As above, I have tints too, so its more private for leaving stuff in the car or sleeping.
Its 1800 motor is ok if you drive it properly.
It doesnt like the hills over to Napier from Taupo and loses a bit of guts.
Only other thing is, there is not much storage in and around the seat, like no pockets on the back of drivers etc
Also, as Ive now been told. as I had the same problem with my other Nissan.they have problems with the starter motor. Ive had it replaced in both my Nissans.
All cars have their particular flaws, but yeah, I may not buy another Nissan.
Other than that its a sweet wagon :-)

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 11:28pm
in saying that our family owned a 94 corolla hatch 1.3l man for 15yrs. started at 17,000k back then and today at near 300,000k it still runs. we sold it to the inlaws to get the wingroad. so we can vouch for both brands in reliability. take both for test drive and give throttle a good blip and do take it uphills so you know how it handles under load. key is maintenance really. look after her and she'll look after you=) best of luck in finding your ideal car.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 11:33pm
hey how many ks has your wingroad done! we haven't had any mechanical issues for last yr and half. agreed about every car has it's flaws. some parts may go kaput on one car but never on another of same model. comes to luck really. back seat is real tight n def not suitable for above average people aye lol. but mind you it's designed by the jappers for skinny lil jappers not larger europeans=P

trdbzr, Apr 12, 1:27am
I'd recommend going for a Wingroad over a Fielder, simply because you are likely to get a better deal on a Wingroad rather than a Corolla. They are both similar in terms of performance, fuel use, reliability etc.

erosmf, Apr 12, 2:35am
Its a 2004 and its done 156,000
I do a reasonable amount of driving though.around 50ks a day and do lots of stops and starts with the engine.so I may be wearing the starter motor out quicker than normal haha
Yeah the back seat is a bit small, leg room wise
Nice looking wee wagon though :-)

kazbanz, Apr 12, 5:45am
x1
can you offer evidence to support that statement! or is it something you heard third hand from a mate of a mate!
YES ONE of the nissan engines did/does have accellerated cam chain wear -that being the neo engine 2.0l vehicles. The 1800 and 1500 nissans do not have issues with cam chain stretch.

bellky, Apr 12, 5:46am
Sounds to me like that's what he's saying.

kazbanz, Apr 12, 5:47am
x2
GG-- My best freind was making exactly that decision. Because he is my best mate I gave him a feilder for a few days then a wingroad for a few days. He really couldn't pick between them to drive so it came down to money in the end. The wingroad won by being about $1500 cheaper than the toyota.

gg_s2h, Apr 12, 5:58am
Thanks everyone for your informed replies - much appreciated from a person who knows not much about cars.
Kazbanz, that's really good to know - I think that is what it might come down to for us too, I'm just wary of getting another "brand" because I know Toyotas are so reliable. argh, so hard! Money is a real priority here too so we will have to check a couple out and get our mechanic to look over them both and then make a decision after that I think.

So excellent to get some good answers!

kazbanz, Apr 12, 6:00am
incidently GG--from 06 on the wingroad even looks like a feilder

stevo2, Apr 12, 6:09am
I have 2 daughters, 1 has a 98 corolla hatch and the other has an 01 Wingroad. They both go well (for what they are) and they are both happy with their cars.
The corolla has been owned for 2.5 years and the wingroad for 1 year. So far niether has cost any serious money. The wingroad is 1500cc and the corolla is 1600cc, both are autos

gg_s2h, Apr 14, 4:07am
Just been to test drive and have a look at a 1.5L Nissan Wingroad and now I'm confused but think money will win in the end and we'll end up getting it. Fingers crossed the inspection with our mechanic is clear. :)

Thanks again for all of your advice!

andy61, Apr 14, 4:28am
can you offer evidence to support that statement! or is it something you heard third hand from a mate of a mate!
YES ONE of the nissan engines did/does have accellerated cam chain wear -that being the neo engine 2.0l vehicles. The 1800 and 1500 nissans do not have issues with cam chain stretch.[/quote]
Yes, A local rental car outfit had Nissans with that motor,had all sorts of issues,sometimes the motor failed first,they worked out it was the timing chain, and replacement engines were unobtainable.They unloaded the Nissans and replaced with Toyota Corollas.

jonb, Jun 20, 9:44pm
x1
I know this is late to the conversation but given that I recently purchased a 2001 1.5litre wingroad with 149,000k's. I can confirm the 1.5 litre models do have chain stretch issues. I am currently experiencing them at the moment. I've been quoted $1500 to fix. I've always gone toyota's and recently went to the nissan wingroad. Had I known the timing chain issues on nissans exist I would've steered clear of it.