Push button start or key start - advice needed

Page 2 / 3
bill-robinson, Nov 19, 10:50am
not with my Austin 7. turn a nob.and push the button. the key was for the door lock only.

snork28, Nov 19, 11:01am
my old 105e prefect required me to push start, push until you have a bit of momentum up then jump in crash gearbox into second gear and drop the clutch, fail-safe and foolproof method that worked every-time.

tgray, Nov 19, 11:12am
At least with key start, you know where the key is at all times.

tygertung, Nov 19, 11:21am
Yes, often people seem to lose the key with the button gimmick start feature.

bill-robinson, Nov 19, 11:23am
1929 chrysler had afoot start, turn hob on dash, then push solenoid on the floor in front of thr gear lever. key was for door only, unlock door put key in pocket get in.

martin11, Nov 19, 11:39am
No you would be suprised how many lose the key and it was the only one they had for the vehicle , that also is the same for keys with transponders in them . Suppose on ones with just a key it easier to hot wire them .Much more difficult if it has a transponder .

trackim, Nov 19, 11:47am
I've had push button start in various cars for the past 5yrs or so. I do like them but couple of problems I've had - rushed home once and opened house door with house key on the proximity car keyring, leaving the car running. Kids were home so left the keys on bench. Drove off only to find I didn't have car key with me until I went to start it again - 20kms from home! The newer ones bip and flash if key is too far away.
Other issue was key slipped between seats and magically disappeared for a few days. Was ok as we could still start drive the car, but so could anyone as we couldn't lock ether. Took a bit of finding the key as had managed to get under the carpet!
Other than that, I like them.

vtecintegra, Nov 19, 12:38pm
It's on the left on both of my cars (plus everything I've rented recently) and I don't see any issue

peanuts37, Nov 19, 12:40pm
Push button start proximity cars be very easy to steal if you use remote to lock, always use lock button on exterior of door. Someone sitting close with right gear can pick up code and use to enter and or steal car. I read some new cars now have rolling codes so impossible now but that is very recent for some manufacturers cars.

vtecintegra, Nov 19, 12:42pm
That's untrue for a couple of reasons - rolling codes have been standard for many years and the remote unlock signal and the proximity signal needed to start the car are different anyway

peanuts37, Nov 19, 12:54pm

s_nz, Nov 19, 12:59pm
While possible security exploits are interesting academically, the reality is that the security systems are good enough that it is typically easier for potential thief's to steal the keys rather than hacking the system.

As such the types of keys doesn't really have a big impact on theft risk.

bigfatmat1, Nov 19, 1:02pm
Push button start and remote unlocking are two different systems combined into one. The remote lock/unlock is programmed separate from the push button start on all cars I have ever reprogrammed new fobs for. They thieves simply relay a signal from the key. I dont think we have any people in nz that would bother to do this to steal a car here most our thieves are opertunists.

peanuts37, Nov 19, 1:07pm

vtecintegra, Nov 19, 1:27pm
That is talking about a relay attack by reading the proximity key. Using the lock button on the exterior of the car is not going to prevent that at all.

tgray, Nov 19, 2:27pm
I guess I should have added "while driving" to my sentence (post#28).

duncb, Nov 19, 2:54pm
My Austin 1956 A35 had a pull button start (as well as pull down windows). All my following cars had key starts with the exception of my current 1958 VW beach buggy that has a (non original) press button start. I can't say it makes much difference to me if you pull, turn, or push a button to start you car

kazbanz, Nov 19, 3:31pm
Gran-there are several variations on the theme. "traditional" key start .A "hybrid" system where you still twist the "knob" and full just pushbutton start.
From a mechanical reliability prospective the push button start has less moving parts as a result is more reliable. The ONLY issue is that with that setup if the battery in the key goes totally flat then you can't drive. -You do get a LOT of warning (weeks) the battery is going flat and particularly with Toyota vehicles changing the battery you do with no tools so a spare $4.00 battery in your glovebox and you are safe. ALSO the emergency key they always come with always gets you in the car. The real positives is the key never needs to leave your pocket/handbag and they have the very highest factory security level.
Just to clear something up. If you start the car and (for example) accidently put the key somewhere -or drop it in the driveway your car will NOT shut itself down 100m -100km from home. What it will do is refuse to start after YOU turn it off until the key is close by.
They ARE the most expensive key to replace but nowadays it costs about $250 for a spare. On a side note it is possible with some Toyota models to have a traditional key cut with a transponder in the handle. use it in the normal manner to open the car then press IT against the starter button to start the car.
Traditional keys you know already the benefits. They are the cheapest to cut but replacement central locking remotes can be expensive.
Hybrid keys work almost the same as push button start with all the same benefits they do have the added advantage that they always come with a backup key built in. If your remote key gets damaged in any way or just dies (flat battery) the backup key will always work and you can drive home.
I must say after a few years with my personal car being button start I find it by far the easiest to use and Ive never had an issue.

kazbanz, Nov 19, 3:36pm
You see it on tv/the movies. in the real world it doesn't happen for a number of reasons. Actually in the real world high end vehicle security has become so "good" that its easier to mug the owner to grab their keys than to break in.

peanuts37, Nov 19, 3:45pm
Most push button start cars can be started with flat remote batteries, there's a chip in remote and if placed close to push button system will activate.

kazbanz, Nov 19, 4:18pm
Ive got about 65 cars here --about 30% are push button start. Chokkie fish if you can start even one of them as you describe.

peanuts37, Nov 19, 4:27pm
My Honda Jazz does, friends Peugeot 308 and Mazda CX5 does also.
https://www.fontanamazda.com/blog/how-do-i-start-my-mazda-if-my-key-fob-dies/

peanuts37, Nov 19, 4:43pm

lythande1, Nov 19, 4:46pm
Personally I'd buy a car based on Brand, Model, known reliability etc rather than how it starts.

vtecintegra, Nov 19, 7:51pm
Easy chokky fish there, it works on most cars with push button start. Certainly works that way on my Mazda3 and Nissan Leaf.