Push button start or key start - advice needed

Page 3 / 3
peanuts37, Nov 19, 10:24pm
Yeah waiting for my chokkie fish, want it refrigerated too so it travels well lol.

nzmax, Nov 19, 11:52pm
Glovebox manual for my 2012 Maxima says that if the intelligent key battery is flat, to insert it into the key port, located below the start button, which will allow you to start the engine. The key port guidelights will blink along with a warning on the dash info panel to warn of a flat battery in the intelligent key.

stevo2, Nov 20, 6:28am
Works on my Mazda too when the battery was flat. You actually have to hold the fob on the button and push. Says it in the handbook as well.

joanie32, Nov 20, 6:18pm
No keen on push button start
Constantly looking for keys, that have slipped down side of console or under seat etc.

Prefer it if keys were just in the ignition, where I can always find them.

gamefisher, Nov 20, 7:24pm
I know of a guy that has a microchip inserted in a finger and doesn't need a key to unlock or start his vehicles a sign o the future.

nzmax, Nov 20, 7:26pm
My Nissan has what they call a key port, basically a holder for the key fob. I believe most later model Nissans also have this feature, and I am sure other brands would have something similar too. No reason for your key to end up stuck down the side of the console or under the seat.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1438184944.jpg

mrcat1, Nov 20, 8:28pm
My Ram does that as well with the fob.
Is there a Gilmores near you, as I think you'll be off down there buying cases of chokkie fishes just quietly.

kazbanz, Nov 21, 9:34am
Actually Not so easy. Honust injun. None of em start by pushing fob etc against the button Including my own car.
BUT as ol Crumpy said.--"bugger me" It looks like the next generation stuff has improved the technology. -Thanks guys ya learn something new every day.

bwg11, Nov 21, 12:13pm
Adding to the irrelevant memories, my fathers 1949 Studebaker had a floor mounted starter switch, positioned so the outer rim of the underside of the clutch pedal would hit it when fully depressed, thus operating the starter, so, turn on key, clutch to the floor, engage first, release clutch and you're away - provided it starts.

nice_lady, Nov 21, 7:28pm
Mine stays in my bag and Hubbys stays in his pocket.

sw20, Nov 21, 7:57pm
My old Toyota Blade’s battery went so flat it wouldn’t let me in unless I pulled the emergency key out of the fob and manually unlocked the car. Holding the fob to the start button and pressing it started the car until I got to Jaycar to get the strange battery size.

rpvr, Nov 27, 9:10pm
I had a 1949 Bradford ute which was the same. Best of British.

smallwoods, Nov 28, 9:06am
Not by much, could rewire it straight to the button.

kiwilandchch, Nov 30, 11:22am
that push bottons horrilbe it takes quite bit getting use to and its like ok cars going what do i do with my keys
also confuses you when u go to start car without push botton . but im bit older so maybe more a age thing lol

saki, Nov 30, 12:45pm
I'm ancient and I dont have a problem with my push button start or transitioning to my key start my bumometer tells me what car im in, as for the fob I use it to take up space in my pocket.

tegretol, Nov 30, 10:14pm
My 30 year old Cobra has a push start. Why are they such a big deal in 2020 then?

gunhand, Nov 30, 10:18pm
I had a 1960 something 850 Mini with push button start. But I would imagine if id lost the key it would be a simple fix, not almost wright the car off like nowadays.

trade4us2, Oct 22, 2:54pm
My 1964 Daimlers had a push start. But they still had a key to turn the ignition on.