Push button start or key start - advice needed

Page 1 / 3
gran333, Nov 18, 8:27pm
I am looking at replacing my car. I am unsure as to go with push button start or the key in ignition start.
Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

nice_lady, Nov 18, 8:32pm
I would think that would be a much less important consideration than many other of the cars features.

gran333, Nov 18, 8:36pm
It is actually something I feel is important to me, that is why I have asked on here.

franc123, Nov 18, 8:37pm
What specific concerns do you have about PB start?

gran333, Nov 18, 8:42pm
No specific concerns as such. Just wondering which one is better. I have heard a few things about push button start not being very good.

axelvonduisberg, Nov 18, 8:57pm
i think Jacinda Ardern is a crap Prime Minister, yet i am stuck with her.

nzmax, Nov 18, 9:18pm
I was a little dubious when I bought my current Nissan with push button start a year ago. Felt a bit weird for the first few weeks but got used to it pretty quick. Still have an older classic with a key though, so still get to use a key occasionally. I could liken the difference going from key to push button start like going from wind down windows to electric windows. Dont know anyone that has had issues.

mouse265, Nov 18, 9:28pm
i have a push button start and sometimes i have a wee bit of a problem with my arthritic fingers but thats only on cold mornings i just use my thumb

gran333, Nov 18, 9:31pm
Thanks nzmax, that helps a lot, especially from wind down windows to electric windows.

mrcat1, Nov 18, 9:32pm
I've had a issue with a PB vehicle, but wasn't a vehicle fault, was a fault in my gyro unit for my drill rig, it had gone faulty and I couldn't turn it off, it had got wet so i put it in the passenger footwell on the way home, stopped at a Mcd's for a coffee, as the gyro was transmitting inside the vehicle it threw the security system into a tail spin, I couldn't open it with the fob, or the touch on the handles, had to get the key out of the fob and open passenger door, then get in and alarms went off, then get drivers door open and use the fob on its end in the PB to reset the alarms and start the vehicle, I then placed the gyro in the wellside for the rest of the ride home.

tgray, Nov 18, 9:47pm
I see so many people hold the button down until the engine starts. All you do it push the button briefly and then let go.
Just thought I would say that since we are talking PB starting.

bwg11, Nov 18, 9:49pm
I own both. I find batteries in the "push button start" vehicles key fob have a shorter life than those in the conventional key with just lock and unlock functions. Only speculating, but I guess the conventional fob only transmits while locking and unlocking whereas a proximity key must transmit constantly? I have no preference for either method and it certainly would not influence my choice of vehicle.

bagal, Nov 18, 9:51pm
My story as well. Have had a car with pushbutton start for three years. New car this year is key start. I would have preferred pushbutton but that wasn't an option. However the car is kind of retro anyway so key is OK.

s_nz, Nov 19, 1:59am
As others have said not a big deal.

Kinda convenient not having to dig the key out of your pocket and just being able to touch the button on the door to unlock.

They have a mechanical key hidden inside incase you let the battery go flat - most will give a low battery warning on the dash so you know when to replace. There is a place you hold the fob to allow the car to start with a flat key battery.

To get accessory mode you press the button without you foot on the break. press it again to get the equivalent of on without starting the engine.

Need foot on break and a press to start the car.

If you ever need to kill the car while in motion (say stuck accelerator), You have to hold the button down for a few seconds. This is to avoid accidental bumps. In reality such a situation is incredibly rare (there are two return springs on the accelerator), and you would be better off just putting the car in natural, and letting the engine rev against the limiter, hence maintaining power steering and breaking.

Be aware you the keys leave the car while it is running (say if another driver is going to use it), it will keep running, but without the key the new driver won't be able to restart it if they turn it off (without the key inside). Car dash will have a key not in vehicle warning on it.

Can't get a passive key to take swimming, or into flammable substance workplaces where battery electronics are banned.

Make sure the car comes with two keys and look after them. As with modern immobilizer remote keys they will be $300+ to replace.

I say go for it. But only if the car is good for your needs in other aspects too.

craftylady1, Nov 19, 5:57am
Had a new Honda CRV 2 years ago and push button start on the left of the steering wheel wasnt ideal so when trading it in a year ago, checked to make sure the push start was on the right. Had actually read in the brochure it was, but wanted to make sure lol. Much better on the right, and Im very happy with push button start.

tygertung, Nov 19, 6:31am
I prefer old fashioned keys myself. Less to go wrong.

stevo2, Nov 19, 7:02am
Push button start with proximity key was top of the wish list for Mrs Stevo when we bought her new Vitara turbo last year. She'd had it previously on her S-Cross and loved the fact that she didn't have to fumble around in her bag for keys all of the time.
We also have it in our MX5 and it doesn't worry me whether we have it or not because a guy keeps his keys in his pocket.
Battery lasted 2 years in MX5 and 3 years in S-Cross.

bigfatmat1, Nov 19, 7:19am
I would disagree. Considering how many push button start vehicles there is on our roads I seem to fix a hell of alot of key/ignition lock faults. And virtually no pushbutton start faults. Keys = mechanical = wear

smallwoods, Nov 19, 7:27am
Gee, my first PB vehicle was my first one.
46 yrs ago.
They have been around that long.

bwg11, Nov 19, 8:08am
Both of our Swift Sports have had similar battery life, whereas the Prado and FJ last 7 or 8 years. Battery voltage is also at its lowest at cold temperatures, so they fail at the most inconvenient times. I'm not aware of any "emergency" alternative on the Suzukis but there may well be.

bill-robinson, Nov 19, 8:18am
mine was a 1937 austin 7. progress is great isn't it.

loose.unit8, Nov 19, 8:26am
We got stranded a km or two away once, when the person with the key in her pocket got dropped off and we carried on.

snork28, Nov 19, 8:27am
tgray wrote:
I see so many people hold the button down until the engine starts. All you do it push the button briefly and then let go.
Just thought I would say that since we are talking PB starting. [/quote
This is correct do not push and hold, just push and let go, PB starting is so much easier, you wont regret updating to the latest tech and not having to fumble around with keys etc, go for it.

andy61, Nov 19, 8:55am
True BUT you have to put the key in, turn the key ON, then push the Start Button - a little different to todays setup! lol

rbd, Nov 19, 9:04am
The worst problem with push button start (well, the issue is actually with a proximity key, they are different things of course) is having to get out of a key start car as you forgot to pull the key out of your deep pocket before getting in!