1999 - 2000 Toyota Celica

bill1451, Apr 26, 11:42am
Thinking maybe one of these could be a cheapy fun car or a second car for weekends or whatever, Thought about a Puegot 406 coupe but being European HMMMM expensive to repair and on the superann, your thoughts.
70 yrs young here so not looking for a "real sports car"

tamarillo, Apr 26, 1:23pm
Go on get an mx5 or mr2! Nothing complex about either just jap hatch running gear.
Or Honda prelude.

intrade, Apr 27, 2:34pm
toyota with spark wires should be good . you will get problems like ecu faults or idle air carbon buildup but thats about the only 2 main issues on 20 year old stuff. other then that codes are only set for open circuit = its a wire broken or the part it relates to died. This is not the case on modern stuff when you have gearvox codes for a missfire. like i had on 2003 astra. implausible speed torque converter limp mode on a stray spark missfire= no such codes on dinosaur toyotas.

meow_mix, Apr 27, 2:48pm
I would say the Celica is a real sports car, Toyota really tried with that model, it was styled in California, they looked at the Celica's heritage, obviously remembering the older GT-FOUR model, so the 1999 model has a bonnet scoop but sadly no turbo as turbos were starting to go out of fashion in Japan, instead the Celica has a high revving N/A engine, some with Yamaha bits. Great as a weekend car and very reliable.

djrandomguy, Apr 27, 7:17pm
one is a cruiser the other a highly strung sport coupe.
The only real issue with the 406 coupe is the 4 speed A/T. The V6 is a dependable unit if serviced.
To look at them side by side there is no comparison to be made, the 406 coupe is gorgeous and the Celica is an old Celica.
If you want to wring the VVT-i engines neck , go do it, if you want to slot the Pug into D and demolish distance, do that.
Chalk & cheese

trogedon, Apr 27, 7:21pm
The Pugs come in manual too though rarer. Beautiful Pininfarina styling!
All the Celicas look cool - apart from the last one. and it's not terrible in the right colour.

tgray, Apr 28, 6:12pm
A 76 year old guy bought my 2019 C7 manual Corvette 2 years ago. The left hand drive permit is a 4 year commitment, so he was planning to own it until at least 80.

gunhand, Apr 28, 6:15pm
Well im sure if you are going to sell the OP a similar car for about $4000 or so he will be knocking on ya door. So would I for that matter.

bill1451, Apr 29, 5:56pm
Yea its kinda weird you ask an obvious question on here and within a couple of q,s its completely of topic, when most of that muscle car stuff will be in mueseums probably when I,m long gone.

kiwilandchch, Apr 30, 2:38pm
had one about 10 or so years ago . i was kind of young and fit but they kill your back getting in and out them after while being so low. kept year an flicked it . but back in there day they where good little cars

tgray, Apr 30, 2:55pm
Not off topic at all and my comment had nothing to do with price.
I was referring to the OP saying he is not looking for a real sports car due to his age and simply made the point of someone buying a manual sports car and being a lot older than him.
In fact he never even mentioned price.

trogedon, Apr 30, 3:18pm
A good reason to do stretching exercises that include back work.

gunhand, Aug 15, 3:47am
The current price of the model Toyota he mentioned is about $4000 on average on TM at mo, some cheaper some higher. So he is not looking at spending 80k or more.