2006 Toyota Ractis Help

tygertung, May 19, 9:27am
I have borrowed my parents 2006 Toyota Ractis as I have a torn calf muscle and can't bike and it is not so good driving manual so am avoid driving our Lancer.

However it is a bit tappety when cold. It is due for a service so I was going to give it an oil change.

Should I put a bit of diesel in the oil and let it idle for a bit to flush the oil system a bit, or is that a bad idea on the high-tech engine?

It has a 1NZ-FE with VVT-i.

It has about 139 000 Km on the odo.

What grade oil would you recommend?

strobo, May 19, 9:36am
Treat it with some proma mbl8 (upper oil retention cold start and noisy lifters) with the service,dont add diesel fuel to flush! ,just drain it hot.use the recommended grade and what type of oil it uses ie whether it is mineral/ semi syn or full syn.brand is your choice.It has a few kms on it.!

cattleshed, May 19, 9:37am
First of all you have to determine where the noise IS from. 139K is low but could be high IF it has not had correct maintenance throughout and more so if coupled with poor driving habits ie cold running. If the engine is caked up inside essentially like any modern engine it is a throw away as it requires a full strip down and an acid bath clean and then rebuild if that is even possible. Oil flushes are worse than no flush. The oil recommended by manufacturer. Go to Castrol oil selector. I THINK 10/30 FS

franc123, May 19, 9:37am
It will be fine on any good quality 10W/30, they're not particularly oil fussy. The best thing you could do for it is get the correct Toyota oil filter for it and run it for a while, Ive seen aftermarket filters cause timing chain slap after cold starting. If the noise persists it could be due for a valve clearance check/reshim, or the VVTI unit is crook or chain stretched. Difficult to know without listening to it.

intrade, May 19, 10:03am
What you need to find out is if it has shimmed valves or hydraulic buckets. For hydraulic proma mlb8 or what ever it is called supposedly can cure the problem. You would also want to see with a snake camera in to the intake valves for carbon build up this should not in theory be an issue, but you rule one thing after another out to find what's wrong
Basically you want to find the issue before you take action.
Also, what is it looking like inside the camshaft baked like a burned cake tin? = that could be chain vvti problem if you find the above.

intrade, May 19, 10:16am
toyota are not exempt from problems they just only later on done what euros had way sooner and its to do with emission laws. It was clear as Day when I got a year 2000 verso in Europe, and it had emission monitoring Mode 6 via canbus. As where a funcargo has half an unused canbus on the system with no emission obd monitor at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku49nFowC2Q
you can clearly see that baked colour usually way worse, but that's a clear sign wrong oil was used and let sit in, its way past what it should have been Brown baked coating on all parts. Next step will be black tar everywhere if it doesn't break down first.

kazbanz, May 19, 12:57pm
a good synthetic 10 w 40 would be the go.
I'd have a looksee at the oil filler cap and down into the engine and see if theres anything crispy down in there. If there is it might be a case of the oil not getting to the VVTi unit properly

franc123, May 19, 1:25pm
I would stick with a mineral 10w/30 at this stage if there is evidence it may be sludged internally. I will stress again its preferable to use a genuine filter if you can access one easily enough. My wifes Vitz was rattling after cold start which I thought was a timing issue which got eliminated by just servicing it with the proper gear.

tygertung, May 19, 4:40pm
I put in some fully synthetic "Repco" brand 5w-30 which was on clearance and a "Ryco" oil filter.

It seems quieter now.

It previously had "Halvolene" 10w30 in it from "Oil Changers" Maybe the thicker oil was not interacting with the engine properly.

I couldn't be bothered going to Toyota to get a Toyota oil filter so just bung in a Ryco one.

It is actually at 191 000 Km, it is only 3K overdue for the service.

Not outrageously grubby under the oil cap and the oil was reasonably clean, relatively.

whynot47, Aug 5, 6:08pm
listen to the experts