How to tell if speedo has been stopped

Page 1 / 2
allan7, May 7, 11:34am
Looking at buying a 2010 NZ new Toyota Hilux but the speedo is only reading 63000 kms.

Is there away to find out if someone has had a switch on it?

tweake, May 7, 11:55am
a lot of newer cars you can't put a switch on.
however you can hack the speedo and make it read whatever you want.
afaik no real tell tale signs other than condition of the vehicle.

ginks, May 7, 12:02pm
Do a check on Ks at W O F times ,this will indicate if is genuine Ks.

stevo2, May 7, 12:11pm
The milage is very low.
Type the rego number into https://www.carjam.co.nz/ and see if the mileage looks genuine on the km graph.

socram, May 7, 1:05pm
I sold my 2002 Cooper S in 2020 with just 41,000kms on the clock. However, I'd expect a workhorse such as a Hi Lux to do more than 6,000kms a year, but who knows?

Giveaways may be the condition of items such the foot pedal rubbers and maybe even the tyres, mats and interior.

likit, May 7, 1:19pm
If it’s a diesel it’s been tampered with, just about guarantee it.

franc123, May 7, 1:23pm
PPI needs to be carried out as always, along with an examination of its service history, and if you can find out who has owned it previously. Some rural people buy a ute to drive from their house to their mailbox and nowhere else. I'm being serious and its from experience too.

msigg, May 7, 1:28pm
Overall condition of vehicle should give u an idea. As frank do a proper ppi, if it checks out then good to go

sandypheet, May 7, 3:06pm
Long shot but see if there are any extra ruc lables in the window pocket andcheck the purchase dates. May be a clue there,

annie17111, May 7, 6:56pm
that's a really good way to stuff a diesel ute with short trips.

saxman99, May 7, 7:27pm

gph1961, May 7, 7:30pm
is that craggy island?

kazbanz, May 8, 9:47am
The only way /route to find a hint your suspicions are correct is to dig deep into the service history. If its been serviced every 1000km for example you have a pretty strong hint they are cheating.
They might have tripped themselves up with odo readings going down but service history is the most likely

franc123, May 8, 8:47pm
#10 tell me about it. The correct and cheaper tool for the job was probably one of those 3cyl petrol Suzuki Carry flatdeck trucks. What was funnier was the moron salesman paid too much for it as a trade thinking he would make a killing at the other end due to the markets obsession with paying far too much for used diesel 4x4 utes, especially low km ones. Several weeks after it was sold it comes back with a horrid whine from the engine and flickering oil pressure light, oil pump was being starved due to a blocked pickup. I yanked the sump off and cleaned it all out as best as I could, reassembled it which got rid of the whine for a while. until the motor expired a couple of months later which is what our service manager and myself warned could happen. It escaped the attention of several clean fingernailed people out the front that after they sold it new several years prior it hadnt been serviced for several years by us or anyone else, but hey this negligent old codger who traded it was a 'good customer we needed to look after' despite him stitching them. No money to be made outta that one.

bill-robinson, May 9, 10:10am
sounds like it is missing a '1' or '2' as the lead number as in '163,000'.

sgrants, May 11, 2:45pm
check wiring at speed sensor on gearbox and/or pull the speedo and inspect wiring, if it;s been "Switched" there will be evidence !

tgray, May 11, 3:41pm
It's low K's but not crazy low. If it's had multiple owners, then I would be suspicious.
I sold a 1991 Toyota MR2 last year with 41,000k (got $10,000 for it).

onl_148, May 13, 10:33am
63,000kms in 12 years is quite low. but you'll be surprised how few km / years some people do ! if it has multiple owners you would think at least a couple of them would be doing "sort of normal number of km's per year" a look at its ownership history compared to the kms at WOF time may turn up some periods of greater per year km's.
If it has had multiple owners and there was a switch installed. were all of the owners using the switch ?
If the km's are false then I assume the concern is that the motor has done more k's than indicated. being a Toyota Hilux, which have pretty reliable motors, would it be the end of the world if the engine had actually done 100,000 kms. ?

bumfacingdown, May 13, 11:13am
On one oil change it could be the end of the world for that vehicle

stevo2, May 13, 7:00pm
If you were selling a ute, would you let anyone pull the speedo before they buy it?

mrfxit, May 14, 7:17am
Last 5 years with my van.
Out & about in Hamilton city nearly everyday/ 7day weeks.
The odd trip out of town couple-ish times per month.
Still only clocking about 8-11 thousand per year
That would put me about 90k in 12 years on that ute
But then again, it's not the only vehicle I have the use of & thats mostly business usage.
Private usage would be more like 5k per year

mrfxit, May 14, 7:25am
Theres also the ppl that claim to do 80k per year but have an office/workshop in town.
Others travel from Hamilton to Auckland daily so thats probably around 20/30k per year just for that trip
Manufactures km base for std warrantys is 20k per year.

houseofdad, May 14, 8:44am
Yeah I often let potential buyers pull the speedo in my driveway when I'm selling vehicles, crikey it someone else's property.

houseofdad, May 14, 8:47am
Yeah not everyone drives to the moon each year, some of the mileage of vehicles for sale on here I think do people have a life that own them, constantly behind the wheel never sleeping.

lythande1, May 14, 8:50am
I don't know, husband was a plumber for a few years, he didn't do an extremely high mileage. He was a work for himself and only did West Auckland, not the whole of the region.