PHEV battery replacement cost!

Page 4 / 4
harm_less, Nov 14, 2:09pm
https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/commodities/energy Using this link, pick a country and see where their energy is derived. Some haven't been updated for a few years but the same mix of sources should still apply except in those that have recently embraced wind and solar. Of particular note is the proportion of "Rejected Energy" (waste) from Electricity Generation and Transportation for those countries that use primarily fossil fuels for these applications.

tygertung, Nov 14, 7:30pm
I've got an electric cargo bike which I use almost exclusively in the city for all transport. I have two children so need a cargo bike to carry them, and when I'm doing the supermarket shopping or transporting other large items I use a cycle trailer.

It's much more convenient for the parking.

I guess it isn't really an EV, more of a hybrid as I also pedal, so there is two power sources.

s_nz, Nov 14, 9:02pm
This is a bit of a red herring. A country doesn't need to have 100% renewable energy to encourage EV uptake. Research has indicated that EV's result in a net decrease in emissions even when run on an all fossil fuel grid. (in short grid scale power plants are way more efficient than a petrol engine you can fit under a car bonnet.)

Buy if you really want to know, only Iceland has (approx) 100% reneable power generation. Norway gets pritty close on 98%. NZ is some way away, but still considered pretty good at around 80%.

harm_less, Oct 24, 11:16am
Not only that but you only have to see the amount of petroleum most countries are importing for their transportation with 80% of that energy being "rejected" as waste heat. By converting their national fleet to EVs provides potentially huge savings in overseas debt for them, particularly if those EV owners can be coaxed into installing PV to contribute to the charging of those EVs.