PHEV battery replacement cost!

Page 3 / 4
kam04, Nov 11, 2:09pm
I think it's good that these people are coming on here doing their gripe. A lot of people don't know these facts and I'm sure now those who were contemplating purchasing an EV will think twice now. I know I'm one of those people. I think this post has been very helpful and feel sorry for those who have been caught out

gazzat22, Nov 11, 3:00pm
Did any one see Fair Go the other night.? I,m told there was an item re a Nissan Leaf,not sure if was a 2011 model purchased for $13000 or a 2013 model purchased for $11000 but the owner had been quoted $121,000 for a new battery.Surely that was misprint or something. Google Fair Go Nissan Leaf Range Anxiety. item was,substantially correct. But Nissan NZ running for cover.!

bryshaw, Nov 11, 4:09pm
Saving the planet and depleting the bank account.

bryshaw, Nov 11, 4:10pm
The woman wanted to save the world and be a goody two shoes.

cattleshed, Nov 11, 7:54pm
ICE cars have increasingly become so sophisticated and so full of electronics and now heading for auto drive and a slight tap in the front and airbags are deployed, all sorts of complex gear hiding behind the bumper broken because they are made of brittle plastics and mounted on panels made of brittle plastics and on and on it goes! Along comes EV and PHEV and the sales pitch is as you know it to be. Just a wee bit of clear thinking ought to have save many a person from getting taken in! Consider: in switching to EV and PHEV do you really think that car manufacturers are going to say goodbye to all that ever increasing revenue generated by the complexity and reduced lifespan and increase of consumables? Never! The revenue will be undoubtedly packaged differently but there will at least be the same revenue but most likely an increased level of it! What is being seen is the tip of the iceberg.

harm_less, Nov 12, 10:17am
Nissan NZ has made a real botch up of marketing the Leaf here. Originally $70K then they tried to flog off old Aussie stock Gen 1s for $40K. The problem was that they required 5 years of servicing by Nissan to fulfill the warranty conditions and that required transporting the Leaf to the nearest EV compliant service centre which for Taranaki is Auckland at a cost of $500/trip every six months, so add $5,000 to the price for that.

Now virtually every Leaf in the country is a Jap import and Nissan are doing their level best to disadvantage those owners. Month's delay for even minor spare parts and ridiculous prices for major items such as batteries. The Blue Cars aftermarket batteries is just one of the ways Leaf owners are avoiding dealing with Nissan NZ whose actions have basically made them irrelevant.

An example of how not to market a new product, and a total lack of understanding of where the car market is heading in the near future. No wonder Tesla are now the world's highest value car maker when the incumbant manufacturers have so much inertia in regard to EVs!

onl_148, Nov 12, 11:25am
Perhaps the quoted $6,000 to $8,000 install price for a replacement battery includes a "disposal fee" for the old battery ? . similar to the disposal fee sometimes included in the cost of a replacement tyre on a car.
It is my understand that there is a ready market for the old batteries, for people building their own off-grid / solar / wind power set-ups.
Does the cost of a replacement battery include the supplier / installer keeping the old battery and sending it off for reconditioning, if possible. Maybe if an owner get a battery replaced, they should get it and flick it off on TradeMe to an off-gridder. may help to pay the supply / install cost of the new battery.

I think some of the current EV owners who are "pleased" with the running cost savings, will be in for a nasty surprise when in late 2021 the government decides on the road tax for them. I would think that a good starting point for the cost of road tax would be it should be the same as the RUC on diesel vehicles.

harm_less, Nov 12, 2:28pm
The current 7c/km RUC that applies to light diesels would hardly be a deal breaker for EVs considering the very low running costs of them.

I suspect the introduction of RUCs for EVs may well coincide with RUCs being paid separately by all vehicles based on distance travelled, perhaps satellite tracking supported. Long overdue and a perfect opportunity to catch the RUC dodgers and remove RUC from petrol used for non-road going engines. It would also provide an opportunity to incentivise EVs by giving them a lower rate than fossil fuelers which would be in line with CO2 reduction strategies.

marte, Nov 12, 6:04pm
Up to post #60 & the OP has not returned at all & it's doubtful if they even were in the situation they posted about as it seems a near 'cut n paste' of a artical or letter in a magazine.
But without any quotation marks to authenticate it.

Another troll tread I think.

cattleshed, Nov 12, 6:27pm
Regardless, important conversation. Who knows why the OP has not returned. There can be reasons.

strobo, Nov 12, 9:32pm
Why do you refer to a difference of opinion as a "hate issue" .I'd be likely to say correctly a "dislike" or to disagree "of such and such, and at least have a discussion about op's post and thread title. "Hate" derives from medical or psychological issues with deep seated problems within that person and to sum up all those disorders that person can't manage will call out a certain group as just "Hater's" because the one calling the "hater shot "has no other answer or wishes to discuss things further. there is no explanation needed all this is alreadysummed up because one word "hater" in their thinking will excuse themselves of all answers cause the brain is too fried with energy drinks or whatever to care! .The term "Hater" is cliche & is used a lot nowadays so they can fit into a group of populace among their own peers to prove they have an identity too .Lazy gits.Most people are interested in EV or hybrids and want to know more including me ,so should be entitled to a discussion and hearing others views on the subject without pointing out the "us and them." scenario.Enough said from me.

smallwoods, Nov 12, 9:42pm
Not sure what you are getting at.

Our friend has taken it to someone in Hastings who knows his way around mitsi phev's and has corrected some things, but it will only extend the life a short while.

smallwoods, Nov 12, 9:44pm
Yep, everyone seems to be putting their views across.
This is what a discussion board is.
I can't make our friend do things any quicker than what he wants, regardless whether someone on here wants to know whatever.

gazzat22, Nov 13, 11:31am
Yes .A lot of people myself included are interested in EV,s but are very cautious on spending a lot of money on something that is not fit for their purpose/use and when one sees the item on Fair Go which is not answered satisfactorily it creates more doubt.I would describe a lot of us as justifiably cautious when one views the derogatory statements made by the EV brigade in referring to "ICE" vehicles. Post#60 is a prime example with the reference to "Fossil Fuelers" How much of the electricity used by EV,s world wide is generated by Fossil Fuel.Nuclear Generation creates waste problems in itself.

cattleshed, Nov 13, 2:14pm
true!

toenail, Nov 13, 6:11pm
That's correct. Nissan NZ have a lot of explaining to do. Their dealerships also look down on imports and lack the skills to properly fix and diagnose Leafs so they just refuse them.

Infiniti could have been successful in NZ, but they made a mess of that too.

framtech, Nov 13, 10:25pm
Best laugh I had all year this week, Australia is going to start making EV owners pay road taxes (some 500 plus bucks a year). way to go, tax the shitboxes off the road

marte, Nov 13, 11:28pm
Thanks for the update.
I honestly still think the EV market is still for 'shortish trips to & from work, supermarke/school trips, & hybrids as Taxis, but mostly in flat areas.
IF you have good access to charging facilitys'.

On the other hand, most households in NZ have several cars & each car does it's own specific job, so a EV would have it's nichë. Depends on your income & intrests I guess.

s_nz, Nov 14, 12:19am
Nissan was in a bit of a tough spot. New electric vehicles get substantial subsidies in japan. When stacked on top of the premium that car companies are used to charging for new cars in NZ, and a years or two's depreciation in japan, there wasn't really any way that Nissan NZ could competed with used imports.

They could have embraced this, and run a program similar to Toyota signature class where they imported hand picked used cars from Japan and prepped them for sale with a warranty in the NZ market.

It took many years for the aftermarket to work out how to do English language conversions of the dashboard & stereo head units of the leaf's, something that adds a lot of value to many buyers. Nissan could have controlled a decent chunk of the 10,000 or so used leaf imports into NZ.

Sadly they chose the other route, and shunned those with imported leaf's.

With regards to the initial $70,000 leaf's in 2011. I think they were a bit optimistic with sales projections, and still had stock in 2012- early 2013 when imports started landing many thousands cheaper. By mid 2013 (and with a cria $10k price drop) they had moved their stock.

Nissan NZ couldn't get their hands on new leaf's at a price point that would compete with the imports, so stopped offering the car for some time.

Subsequently Nissan Aussie sold them a whole bunch of leaf's that were built in 2011 which has been sitting in the baking heat in Aussie since then. Leaf's were quite unpopular in aussie, due to high power prices, dirty power grid, and concerns about heat related battery issues. Nissan NZ then sold these cars at $40k, and because they had never been registered they were sold as 2013 / 2014 cars. (they are the only ones in NZ with a factory fitted spare wheel if you are trying to identify them). Took a while to move these as post mid cycle refresh (AZE0 chassis code) cars were landing a little cheaper than that from japan. Nissan stopped offering the leaf here after they were sold.

Cycle has happen again. Nissan has started to offer the 40kWh leaf around the time of the launch of the 62kWh version. Now near new 62kWh cars are available cheaper than the Nissan NZ's 40kWh car. Realistically it is only fleets that have a new car only policy, or those not well informed about grey market cars that would buy from Nissan NZ.

harm_less, Nov 14, 7:31am
Australia are going to find themselves high and dry as the largest remain climate change denier on the planet now that the Trump administration is being relegated to the dustbin of history.

Taxing EVs heavily is essentially attempting to hold back the tide in respect to where the world's transportation is heading in the near future. Most enlightened countries are regulating fossil fuelers out of existence.

gazzat22, Nov 14, 10:03am
Could you describe and list the "Enlightened" countries and how they generate the Electricity and the finance to build and maintain their roading systems, apart from small overpopulated congested countries like the UK and Japan. .How are India and China dealing with these problems?

toenail, Nov 14, 10:21am
Thanks, yes I remember some of that history in the NZ market. The problem with Nissan NZ is that they are a low volume seller and will have problem securing the Aria electric SUV which will probably sell like hot cake given its clean interior and exterior design and starting price point. But to sell such a car, they would need to invest in stocking parts and training to service them. Not to tell their customers it would be a 3 month wait for some part to arrive from Japan on their brand new Aria.

harm_less, Nov 14, 10:49am
The table in this link will provide you with an indication of how widespread the phasing out of fossil fueled vehicles is worldwide. You are probably best to do your own research on energy generation and roading infrastructure investment on individual countries based on your own interest and agenda.

harm_less, Nov 14, 11:54am

gazzat22, Nov 14, 12:16pm
I havent got an "Agenda".It just seems rather hypocritical of the High Priests of Ev,s who ignore the facts that dont fit their agenda Should be quite simple to list the "Enlightened" countries you mention that dont use Fossil fuel to generate Electricity.