Lexus IS250 2007/08

integrety, Aug 6, 1:00pm
Hello, I have been looking at these vehicles, would any one have comments on reliability, problems, etc looking at moderate Kms say 50000-80000. I have heard about the dash boards melting over time gone sticky.

Thanks

kazbanz, Aug 6, 2:19pm
Mechanically they are rock stars for reliability.
All cars of that era you need to check the dash.--it was when dash panels needing to be biodegradable was introduced.
BUT--Like anything it comes down to the individual car. They might have been created equal -same production line but after 12 years they can vary in condition a LOT

sw20, Aug 6, 3:56pm
My mum has a NZ New 2007 Lexus IS250 Limited. The NZ new cars have a much better spec list than the Japanese imports. Her and my late father bought it from it’s second owner in 2016. Zero problems, only yearly servicing.

It’s my favourite car to drive on SH6 from Blenheim to Nelson. It eats up the Rai Saddle and Whangamoa corners. Not the quickest thing in a straight line but it’s not Prius slow. Mum’s car is immaculate, 65,000km, no dash board problems. The only thing you need to be aware of is the cost of good tyres. They run a staggered setup. 255/40R18 rear and 225/40R18 fronts.

tamarillo, Aug 6, 4:26pm
Check it for size, great cars but at 6’2 I found import ones were cramped for me.

tgray, Aug 6, 5:58pm
The high spec ones have many up to date features like Bluetooth, multiple airbags, dual zone climate control. Some have leather interior.
The 6 speed auto is nice.
For about half the price, you could always buy a Mark X, which runs the same engine and transmission.
Yes, the dashboards tend to get sticky and break up. As it was an upmarket grand tourer type of car wearing the Lexus brand, they wanted to give the surface a soft touch feel instead of the hard plastic, so used a plastic and rubber composite material. Unfortunately over time the heat gets to them and they deteriorate. I have found ones that have been garaged all their lives tend to be much better.

poppy62, Aug 6, 7:28pm
I Like the apologist tones for the issue with the plasticky crap in what is, just a slightly better optioned Toyota Bland.

motig, Aug 6, 8:26pm
Is that a japanese import ? Can't find any on trade me.

sweetgurl108, Aug 6, 8:47pm
IS250 engine has a carbon build up issue. although I'm not sure it was an issue as far back as 2007/8

kazbanz, Aug 7, 10:36am
Honestly mate I don't agree with you on this one. ^^I was of the understanding that it was a law change in Japan that caused the change in dashboard cover material. I understand they required all cars to have dash covers made of material you could safely ingest. Nearly everybody about that time had issues of one sort or another. -Sylphies were terrible for it and it was a factory recall.

tgray, Aug 7, 6:35pm
I guess we agree to disagree.
I do not know of any other models apart from Sylphys, some Subaru's and the IS250's with this issue.
What other manufacturers had the soft touch dash? That was an attempt to bypass the cheap plastic look of other manufacturers. No one would know that 10 years later the rubber/plastic composite material used would not stand the test of time.
Mitsubishi, Honda and Toyota did not have this issue.
Who was ingesting dashboards requiring a law change?

jmma, Aug 7, 7:44pm
They were made sticking so your cellphone wouldn't slide around :oP

integrety, Aug 10, 2:18pm
Thanks everyone for your comments much appreciated

integrety, Aug 10, 2:22pm
Thanks valuable info

integrety, Aug 10, 2:28pm
On Trade me they are under the heading Lexus

integrety, Dec 9, 5:14pm
Hi Would that be Toyota Blade