This is the harsh reality of new battery tech

intrade, Mar 31, 12:17pm

tony9, Apr 1, 2:54pm
The article tells us nothing, just a bunch of fudge.

And if dissimilar metals are needed, how does a lead acid battery work?

BTW, I do know grow a Lead Acid battery works.

budgel, Apr 1, 2:57pm
How many lead acid batteries have you grown?

apollo11, Apr 1, 3:33pm
Not sure why they bothered writing this article, or why intrade bothered posting it.

tony9, Apr 1, 3:50pm
Brain tried to learn something from the article and misfired!

ronaldo8, Apr 1, 7:38pm
Because stuck records are stuck.
snik. snik. snik. snik.-

marte, Apr 1, 9:12pm
Interesting though. It's just admission that though there's billions being spent on battery tech, not much new is really comming out & what is is really just lines on a white board & even if something completely revolutionary did come out, it's not going to be a huge game changer.
And even then, anything new takes 5 years between being proven & hitting the highway.

So don't expect much except a gradual drop in prices, sorta like the history of flatscreen TVs.
Ok the tech improves in time, they do get more efficient, they do cost less.
But in the end they still do the same thing a B&W CRT did in 1965, but better.

martin11, Apr 2, 8:09am
He seems to have nothing better to do than to browse the net for silly articles .

tygertung, Apr 2, 9:46am
Li Ion are revolutionary. Before that there was Nimh which was an improvement on NiCad.

ronaldo8, Apr 2, 11:52am
Mr Sadoways molten metal batteries are revolutionary, if they ever see the light of day. I remain hopeful, the science is good, the jump to commercialization is the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRrvxjrJ1U&t=1334s

tony9, Apr 2, 11:55am
That is very debatable. Lead Acid, Nicad, lion etc. are just evolutionary improvements on chemical cells that can be electrically reformed. The improvements are in the use of different electrodes and electrolytes. The actual mode of operation is the same.

poppy62, Apr 2, 4:27pm
Sounds like you're in a Rut! Groovy Man!

tygertung, Apr 2, 9:02pm
All batteries work on chemical cells. That will never change. If it does, it isn't a battery, it is another type of component.

vivac, Apr 2, 10:13pm
I have been saying for years that i think itll move away from batteries to capacitors.
Alot faster charge if you bang enough voltage at them.

tygertung, Apr 3, 8:10am
Although the discharge voltage curve isn't good.

vivac, Aug 26, 3:50pm
I think the best bet would be a very high voltage rated cap so you can jam high voltage into it to fast charge, then all of the car systems will be of a much lower voltage so the draw off the cap is comparatively slower.