Replacing bulbs Toyota Vitz

rpvr, Sep 19, 8:11am
Checked over my partner's 2002 Vitz before she takes it for a WOF, and found a front indicator bulb was not working. Should have been a simple task, but it seems it's virtually impossible without unbolting the light, and part of the bumper to allow the light to be lifted up. What should have been a five minute job took me a couple of hours. Crazy design with no thought for routine maintenance.

intrade, Sep 19, 8:21am
and just think what fun you will have with later cars where all end everything is designed like this and every thing made of rotting plastics

sw20, Sep 19, 8:40am
Be thankful you can actually change the bulb. I had a tail light play up. It would switch off when the car was started but would work when the car was off. I had to replace the whole tail light.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 12:02pm
That's strange mate. I don't recall having that sort of hassle

rpvr, Sep 19, 2:57pm
Yeah, the indicator bulb socket can be seen and touched with a couple of fingers, but no way can it be turned. The light assembly has two straightforward screws on top, a sliding plastic clip on the inboard end that you can see from above, but also an unseen clip on the other end which can be reached by taking out the bumper screw at the top of the wheel arch, plus about 3-4 others underneath the bumper, which gives enough room to release that clip. Interestingly, the best video I could find on Youtube was a Russian guy who doesn't speak, he simply points to each bolt or screw and then removes it.

rpvr, Sep 19, 2:59pm
What car is that?

sw20, Sep 19, 3:46pm
The one I've got for sale.

saxman99, Sep 19, 5:53pm
I had to replace a taillight bulb on my car the other day, took 19.2 seconds no tools required.

motig, Sep 19, 7:07pm
Are you sure you couldn't get at it from the back of the light assembly? Headlight and tail lights you can.

gph1961, Sep 19, 7:13pm
your new friend

kazbanz, Sep 19, 8:16pm
AHH--you don't have access to Millars specialty tool 125/678/235 --otherwise known as an 8 year olds tiny hand (Baby girl)

rpvr, Sep 19, 8:29pm
That would work

gph1961, Sep 20, 6:21am
Yes,go asking around for a child.Only needed for half an hour or so.

drog, Sep 20, 7:44am
Hey Kaz. It is common knowledge that if want anything complex sorted in todays world. just ask a child. They're on to it.

rpvr, Sep 20, 11:28am
The bulb holder is not that easy to turn though, so there must be a fair amount of strength in that little hand. Just think, in a few years some poor guy will end up under that thumb.

kazbanz, Sep 20, 11:39am
Ya aint wrong mate

kazbanz, Nov 17, 11:48am
I feel very VERY sorry for any guy that tries to date baby girl. With four BIG brothers and ME for a dad to answer to.