How to find the code for the radio

differentthings, Sep 13, 11:26am
Did a cam belt on a 2001 Honda Accord. When I reconnected the battery the radio wont work until you enter the code. I have the original owners manual but they never wrote the code in that. It got brought S/H from a Honda dealership 8 years ago. If I ring Honda up tomorrow would they be able to tell me what the radio code is or is there another way to find the right code.

sw20, Sep 13, 11:40am
If it's the factory radio, and the vehicle is NZ New the dealer should be able to tell with a rego plate and/or model and frame number.

If it's an import lol.

differentthings, Sep 13, 11:44am
Hi. Yes factory radio and NZ new, but coming up 20 years old. Seems a shame to replace the radio just because I disconnected the battery. Will try Honda tomorrow I guess.

sw20, Sep 13, 11:53am
The other option, could the code be written on the stereo itself? This would involve removing it. The Alpine unit in my old Corolla, someone had written the code on the chassis of the stereo.

orphic1, Sep 13, 12:05pm
Found this in a Google search.
'Press the preset buttons 1 and 6 at the same time while turning on the radio. A 10 digit serial number will appear on the radio display. If you have a 2001 or older Honda the serial number is located on the body of the radio unit. the radio unit will have to be removed to see the code.'

peanuts37, Sep 13, 12:47pm
Sometimes sticker in glove box.

joanie04, Sep 13, 9:25pm
Sometimes written in the owners manual if still with the car.

differentthings, Sep 14, 10:59pm
A big shout out to Honda. Rang them up and they gave me the code.

intrade, Sep 15, 6:45pm
better write it on the manual now. no one is going to steal that radio.

sw20, Sep 15, 7:13pm
Relic of a bygone era. No one is going to steal a factory headunit. I don't even think someone would have stolen a factory headunit 20 years ago. Maybe in the early 1990s when everyone was broke and everything except a house and petrol were moonbeams.

joanie04, Sep 15, 9:27pm
joanie04 wrote:
Sometimes written in the owners manual if still with the car.

differentthings wrote:
I have the original owners manual but they never wrote the code in that.

The ex had a Commodore and had disconnected the battery for some reason and was in a mad panic because the stereo was no longer working. I rung my brother (ex Holden mechanic who advised it would have a code). So I contacted the previous owner and he advised that he had written it in the owners manual but it had to be deciphered lol. Can't remember exactly how it was deciphered, not my car lol.

differentthings, Sep 15, 10:19pm
been there and done that

kazbanz, Sep 16, 9:26am
Contact Trevor Bryon at Honda NZ. have on hand the rego number and chassis number of your Honda.

differentthings, Sep 16, 1:47pm
only needed the rego number.

kazbanz, Sep 16, 3:52pm
So its sorted?

differentthings, Sep 16, 9:05pm
Yes. Refer to post #9

trade4us2, Sep 16, 10:56pm
How do they know that you didn't steal the radio?

solarboy, Sep 17, 1:14am
Coincidently I removed my '99 Commodore's battery today and noticed after I'd replaced it the radio(/ cassette player) had lost it's stations and the dash clock wasn't working. Guess I'd better look for a code too.

tgray, Sep 17, 8:06am
I recently bought a 2017 Suzuki Balino and the screen was prompting me to enter a code. It's a multi functional screen with Bluetooth and reversing camera, so I needed it. NZ new car.
Suzuki couldn't help as it's a code that can be chosen by the owner for added security. They rang the previous owner and he says he never chose a code. The manual in the glovebox said you get 10 changes to put the code in before it locks you out. I used up 9 of them by guessing sequences like 1111, 0000, 9999, 1234 etc, then gave up.
Suzuki quoted me $1,300 to remove the stereo and send it away to be reprogrammed. I chose instead to put an aftermarket one in (that had all the functions of the original).
Total cost was $380.

differentthings, Sep 17, 8:30am
Don't know, but he knew my last name (even though the car is my daughters and is in her name). Might of asked more questions if the car was a couple of years old, but for a car that is close to 20 years old I don't think anyone is to worried that it might be stolen.

shakespeare6, Nov 18, 3:48pm
why would anyone steal a car stereo these days