6 year old vehicle, paint peeling off.

Page 1 / 2
vivac, Mar 25, 4:09pm
Hi motorists.
We have yet another problem with our van and i think a few of you may have some information that may help me out.
We purchased a brand new van 6 years ago, VW Caddy, we have recently discovered the paint is literally peeling out of the gutter areas on the roof, flaking off in chunks. I dont feel that this is reasonable durability for a new car to have its roof repainted so soon so will be having some words with the dealership at the next service which is very soon.
The vehicle was purchased to be used as a tradie van, but we as a company are still the end consumer, does the CGA apply or anything else that should apply here?
If it comes to it MVDT will likely be where we head with this and its dashboard issue (cracked around the airbag (technically should fail WOFs but they keep passing it.), VW didnt want to know when it was a year out of warrantee).
Any help is appreciated for things to say, who to talk to things like that, help me before i take a massive dump on the DPs desk, thanks.

hazelnut2, Mar 25, 4:35pm
Have a chat to the Fair Go team. they had a show about a young car peeling paint and a successful resolution.

budgel, Mar 25, 5:27pm
CGA doesnt apply to trade purchases.

saxman99, Mar 25, 6:20pm
Paint libellous obscenities about the dealer all over it and park it outside their showroom. Won’t help your case but it’ll give you the only smile you’ve ever gotten out of the vehicle.

curlcrown, Mar 25, 8:08pm
As mentioned above the CGA does not apply in your case. I think it very unlikely that you would be sucessful at the MVDT. My suggestion to you would to approach them nicely about it and suggest they get it done for you at trade price. You would still have to pay but much less than you would if you went to a painter yourself. The cracks around the dash I'm not convinced wold be a WOF fail.

wind.turbine, Mar 25, 9:54pm
same here, have not bothered chasing it as I doubt they will do anything, roof clearcoat is completely had it and flaking off, looks hideous

toenail, Mar 25, 10:02pm
has it been crapped on by birds often?

jmma, Mar 25, 10:04pm
Roof Racks?

kazbanz, Mar 26, 2:04pm
First of all all trade vehicles (trade use/company use) are excluded from cover under the CGA. Have a read of your VOSA it says it very clearly. Second the argument back at you will be that its user error. Ie something you did or didn’t do OR an outside agent -bird poo . Acid rain etc. for example—did you wash and polish the roof as per manufacturers requirements? -please don’t shoot the messenger—I’m just telling you what to expect.
‘T

vivac, Mar 26, 5:19pm
I wont shoot you, might come crap on your desk though.
Seems weird to me that just because it is a vehicle purchased for a business there is no CGA applicable, businesses are also consumers/customers.
The van is well looked after, washed regularly with mothers or meguiars products by hand.

vivac, Mar 26, 5:20pm
Yes, has roof racks, but they are mounted to the roof rack mounting points not the gutters and the peel is nowhere near the racks.

vivac, Mar 26, 5:21pm
Its not the clearcoat, its the paint. Leaving the base primer only.

vivac, Mar 26, 5:22pm
The dash crack is around the airbag, well its the cover for the airbag that is being pushed out from behind. VIRM states only sun damage is acceptable to airbag covers.

vivac, Mar 26, 5:25pm
Thanks for that, google turned up this story and Mt Roskill P and P are my local and have done work on my cars before.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/fair-go-long-should-your-cars-factory-paint-job-last

kazbanz, Mar 26, 10:33pm
but that is the law.

gabbysnana, Mar 27, 9:26am
Sales of goods act applies for those in trade, still has to be of acceptable quality.

intrade, Mar 27, 11:42am
The cga law is stupid for trade cars should be at least 25% cheaper then to anyone else as your on your own for anything cars and any other goods also if purchased for trade.

intrade, Mar 27, 11:50am
WATCH THIS the modern water crap paints the grrenies made law and all the other crap that dont last because of greenification laws. He uses a 40 year old paint or older to repaint that carburettor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYgEYKq7ng

vivac, Mar 27, 12:00pm
Sale of Goods act was repealed in 2017 and replaced with the Contract and Commercial Law act.
It appears as though there is very limited cover for business vehicles, once the warrantee is over which is pretty shitty.
https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/guidance-for-businesses/solving-problems-with-suppliers/faulty-goods-and-services-bought-by-businesses/

curlcrown, Mar 27, 12:18pm
Fair Go is not much interested in fairness any more. It seems to want to stick it to the so called rich. That example of the Citreon is not fair. A full paint jobb to factory standars on an eight year old car. That is betterment.

andrew1954, Mar 27, 12:52pm
Many of these so called “rich” give in to Fair Go, even when they do not have to, because having your company or product mentioned on prime time TV especially showing you in a good light, being “mr nice guy” is very cheap advertising / marketing / PR. If you fork out say $5,000 to an unhappy customer then that same $5,000 would not buy you much in the way of a TV ad at 7.4pm on a Monday.

vivac, Mar 27, 1:46pm
Not really, it was determined the paint was failing due to a factory fault.
It was more returning it to the condition it should have been delivered in.

vivac, Mar 27, 1:48pm
Interestingly i have just found my paperwork from the vehicle purchase.
There is no clause on the sale agreement about contracting out of the sale of goods act (which would have been in force at the time) or the Contract and commercial law act.
I may yet have a leg to stand on.

curlcrown, Mar 27, 7:41pm
After 8 years? What if it was 50 years old? And if you think 50 years would be unreasonable but 8 is not then what is or isn't reasonable?

curlcrown, Mar 27, 7:43pm
At one stage yes, but there have been a few stories in recent times where public opionin, or at least a signaificant percantge of it, thought the Fair go was not being fair. The spark plug sorty last year for example.