New Skoda cop Cars for the fleet!

Page 2 / 3
tamarillo, Nov 26, 8:44am
Stark raving mate. You been to Southern Europe, hotter than here. Been to Scandinavia, colder.

tamarillo, Nov 26, 8:47am
Replacement policy has nothing to do with life expectancy. Under your argument the Holden’s were only good for same.

onl_148, Nov 26, 12:33pm
They interviewed on TV last night the General Manager of Skoda NZ. gee he had was smiling like a very happy chappie. plenty of brownie points big time with head office with a nice little order / contract like that. The motoring dealership / francise to have will be the local Skoda dealer. just the regular maintance / oil change type visits will be a little money spinner ! It is my understanding that the vehicles are supplied via the local dealer, in that they get "brownie points / commission" etc.

poppy62, Nov 26, 12:56pm
Just another case of someone who has no idea/ experience with a particular brand showing their ignorance.

tygertung, Nov 26, 2:02pm
Why not some of these, already come in police blue:

https://www.subaru.co.nz/showroom/wrx-sti

martin11, Nov 26, 2:06pm
No room in the back for the crims

stevo2, Nov 26, 2:16pm
The cops actually carry quite a lot of weight in the boot. The Subie will be dragging its arse along the road even before you add 4 adults to the load.
The 3 most suited are Skoda Superb Wagon.
Ford Mondeo wagon (hybrid only)
Toyota Camry or Camry Hybrid (sedan only)
I think the Skoda Superb wagon is the best choice of the lot if they managed to get the price right down AND got the warranty period extended to 6 years/120,000km when they replace them. I'm sure Skoda would have bent over backwards to close this deal.

franc123, Nov 26, 2:51pm
Camry doesnt do anything better or cheaper than the opposition and Ford are not committed to the long term future of Mondeo are the main reasons they would have been rejected.

strobo, Nov 26, 3:02pm
ok ok ok I get ya point.According to stuff article .>"Patrol vehicles will be replaced as they reach the end of their useful life, at a rate of about 400 per year, police said."

strobo, Nov 26, 3:34pm
The fact the "Czech manufacturer was selected indicated police had assessed the cars on their merits rather than choosing the cheap or easy option"
So the choice was more about carbon footprint, power efficiency! and less about the cost. No one will say how much for commercial sensitivity reasons. . but they say cost analysis was factored in lastly. Anyway what do I care when Govt are useless at managing money. forever in debt and owing billions.just another example of Greenies screwing the economy.

tgray, Nov 26, 4:14pm
Anything will seem great after those awful Euro Commodores they have been driving.

strobo, Nov 26, 5:31pm
Agree. I don't like them either. It was sour grapes all round and esp for the dealerships that sold them too when the writing was already on the wall ."I know" I was 3 years at a Holden dealership but with another brand on the same premises . up till about a month ago.But "skoda" over all the 20 odd other contenders?Miles continental here here in chch ,have vw and skoda franchises ,but Toyota is their best no1 seller! maybe that will now change ,who knows ,just sit back and see how "superb" it pans out I guess.

ksam, Nov 26, 6:41pm
"back in the 70's" you mean 50 years ago? maybe you should pull your head out of your ar$3, and get with the times Clown Boy.

strobo, Nov 26, 6:46pm
Discuss the subject matter not the poster in other words. Id like to hear your point of view on the subject other than what you think about other posters!

tygertung, Nov 26, 6:50pm
Not sure if that is true, back in the 80s they used to use Mitsubishi Cordias, and they did use some Subaru Imprezza WRXs a few years ago, but the cops kept cooking the turbos as they'd have the turbo glowing orange and just shut down the engine without allowing the turbo to cool.

strobo, Nov 26, 6:58pm
#41 they had austin princess too that come with binoculars in the glove box lol and mitsubish galants /cordias as you say they have had a fair range of brands.Turbos are an engine killer ,higher temps,more stress on reciprocating parts etc .

s_nz, Nov 26, 10:27pm
This.

I also would have expected BMW to be in the mix. They do a nice range of factory fitted authority vehicles, and their RWD / AWD platforms are a selling point to many police forces.

To the other commented saying police used small cars years ago, times have moved on. our population is growing bigger, as is the amount of gear that police need to carry.

Should also note that "police pack's" are common on police cars worldwide, often featuring upgraded suspension and Breaks.

I think every marked front line police car now gets:
- Handgun lockbox in passenger footwell
- Rifle lockbox on cargo area
- Defirbulator & advanced first aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Traffic cones
- Police sign kit
- Radio's, computers etc
- Lightbar & other lights
- Wet / cold weather gear
- Body Armour.
- Partial battier between front and rear seats
- Crime scene type

I assume some cars get:
- Nudge bars
- Spare fuel tank (for motorway out of fuel incidents)
- Speed detection gear
- Spike strips
- Loud hailer
- Roof mounted LED sign

I'm not sure of NZ police cars get dual batteries, or the engine gets idled if the car needs to run the lightbar while parked.

Either way, that is a lot of bulky and heavy stuff.,

I imagine for fleet commonality the police would be keen for dog units & the trucking police to be in the same vehicles as general duties - As a two seater I imagine the supurb would have the space and payload for dogs / truck scales.

Interesting Info here:
https://fyi.org.nz/request/1901/response/6695/attach/10/Kelly%20M%2014%205411%20speed%20measuring%20devices%20PMV%20policy.pdf

Police vehicles are classified from A to D, with A being the most appropriate for a pursuit, and D the least (such as the landcruiser troopy on great barrier island). Police are to swap out lesser ranked vehicles for category A in pursuits as soon as possible.

Police consider a vehicle with 4 or more people in it to be heavily laden, and do not allow it to be used for pursuits.

skiff1, Nov 27, 9:21am
you are talking nonsense! New Zealand is not a hot climate, and they are driven in places like Spain and Italy and central Europe and summer where it gets at least as hot.
As for “one leak and it’s cooked“ how many water called cars run with no fluid in the radiator for any length of time?

skiff1, Nov 27, 9:23am
yeah definitely, I mean I drove a new Holland the other day that had a turbo, and it was starting to smoke a bit. It only had 27000 hours on the clock.

3tomany, Nov 27, 9:23am
No word on what ute they are going to use, i see a few Hiluxes replacing colorado already up here. Also what SUV will replace the holden crap they had.

joanie32, Nov 27, 11:22am
I have a 2019 Skoda Octavia scout diesel

My heart sunk when I was told I was getting a Skoda, but
It is by far the best company car I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a few.

I think it’s a very good call by the cops.

onl_148, Nov 27, 11:37am
As mentioned I would think Skoda would have had a "very sharp pencil" when it came to purchase price / support package etc. I would not be surprised if Skoda Head Office Technical do not base a few "boffins / experts" from HQ out in NZ for at least a year or two to assist with the technical stuff to get them kitted out for the police. the police have a s**t load of stuff on board.
This will be one contract that Skoda NZ will not want to muck up. they will be on their best behaviour !
Many years ago in more controlled times the polices choose of vehicle supplier would have a political component. in that the contract would go to a brand / country we currently wanted to be "nice" too, and were willing to buy our wool or diary products !

It would be interesting to know what other brands / models were in the running for the supply contract. I understand there were about 10 serious contenders.

noodleman4, Nov 27, 2:58pm

3tomany, Nov 27, 3:05pm

strobo, Nov 27, 4:44pm
A bit different from the higher speed short stroked petrol/diesel engines that are near over squared running in cahoots with a turbo lol.Ha ha New holland haha