Are emissions the problem

intrade, Jul 21, 10:25am

tweake, Jul 21, 10:38am
funny enough years ago it was auto's that where the problem. the sudden load change of the auto upset the engine emissions setup and produced more soot. hence a few of the auto's got dpf's while the manual didn't.
i suspect now they have much better control over the emissions system.
however i think they try to use engine control to passively clean the dpf's and that doesn't play nicely when the ecu is not in control of the gearbox.

curlcrown, Jul 21, 10:45am
Having driven almost every "normal average" car in New Zealand over the last 20 years from the 1980s to now and a few from the 50s to 70s I have never experienced what he is talking about.

intrade, Jul 21, 10:59am
thats a bit of the issue i dont know if thats the same engeneering explain guy as i said i dont watch. However i did notice with our dacia 2013 or so sandero R.i.p as my brother totaled it 2 times
What i did notice was if you try take off fast like you normally do with a car in manual it stalls. There was a half a secound delay to rais the rpm once you worked to that you could take off normal if you did not wait that half a secound plonk it had stalled. i was thinking thsi must be the time the engine needs for euro 5 emission to comply to to what you are about to do. Dump the clutch and floor it. lol.

bumfacingdown, Jul 21, 11:39am
So its not manual gearboxes that are the problem but modern vehicles fitted with electronic throttle bodies

tweake, Dec 19, 9:14pm
lol, you need to drive my ute, its a real bitch for doing it.
it will bunny hop you across the carpark, it can take off on you like your launching it at the lights. it can hit 4k rpm during an upshift gear change. (btw not the only person or ute that does this)
i see its pretty common in certain makes/models of petrol engines, but its also happening with diesels due to all the emissions stuff.