Trucks could likely run these diesel engines

intrade, May 19, 9:31am

laurelanne, May 19, 10:16am
The good old TS3. A very economical motor. There is one of the TS4 prototypes in NZ. Does anyone know whether this motor is powering anything yet.

sr2, May 19, 10:34am
Possibly just a new twist on old technology, I thought this configuration was used in rail engines last centaury?

intrade, May 19, 10:39am
I only remember opposed piston engines in 1950s. And also Mercedes had a normal piston 4 stroke Diesel converted to 2 stroke. The problem was emission where high= it would never happen on the Mercedes one.
Marine diesel are all 2 strokes and 54% efficient.
So what has changed well in 1950 computers did not exist and diesel only got "easy power" due to computer control.
So this could well be viable, for trucks only due to the size space required

intrade, May 19, 10:43am
Problem emission 2 stroke= a 4 stroke has an empty push of the piston to expel gas as a 2 stroke does not. But with opposing piston This could bring 2 stroke efficiency with pushing gas to meet emissions with electronics.

intrade, May 19, 10:46am
Now Why do Walmart looked in to having this Diesel? They got elon musk electric trucks.
Well well well. its because the electric jesus is talking more smack than anyone with engineered fake science. that is what dopheads doo and the media publishes it for revenue.

intrade, May 19, 10:51am
Why not stick to the original Diesel with more emission add-ons. The 4 stokers otto motor is getting killed by thes emission laws its why most probably volkswagen and loads of others wrote software to turn it off.

martin11, May 19, 10:54am
1950's technology .

intrade, May 19, 11:01am
Yes. Self landing rockets is also about 1950s Also anti gravitation platforms with a cable as thick as 10 inches attached another one.
There is nothing real new but the challenges that stopped the development back then can sometimes be overcome.

intrade, May 19, 11:07am
like the trubine car. i always said we should drive aircraft engines since they dont have to comply to emissions and i also said they make ultra high NOX pollution.
So Nz wants to be green then no aeroplane should ever come here for nothing. But i guess its only got to be green if they can milk you and me with it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWev6JTI6S0

sr2, May 19, 11:13am
Re #3
Woops. bloody spell check again. "century"!-

ebygum1, May 19, 12:35pm
Rover also built at least one turbine powered car in the 50's, I saw it in London, I think at the Science Museum.

tygertung, May 19, 4:03pm
What about a Napier Deltic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

two9s, May 19, 5:56pm
We had these diesel engines in the Chieftan tanks I drove in Germany, in the mid 1990's. Was old tech even back then. 19 litre donks that took forever to get up to operating temperature. Every night we would fill er up on the side of a road. Took anywhere between 600 -800 litres. And we may have only driven less than 100 kms. Got left running at idle a lot, and that chewed through the juice too.

tony9, May 19, 6:58pm
The large high efficiency (50+%) diesel cycle marine engines are two stroke with very low emissions. The long slow stroke and positive pressure scavenging makes sure all the fuel is burnt and exhausted by pushing in fresh air. Usually no electronics at all in the fuel and valve control.

tony9, May 19, 7:03pm
Nearly but not quite. They would be Leyland L60s. They had twin crankshafts rather than the single crankshaft and rockers of the Commer "Knocker".

mrcat1, May 21, 4:51pm
The most economical thing about a TS3 was to turn good diesel fuel into noise.

mrcat1, Aug 5, 5:07pm
The poms had Deltic diesels in their locos years ago, same deal.