Toyota Yaris GR. Any interest or driven it?

mcscottwgtn, Apr 16, 11:41pm
Has anyone driven it? Is their interest in this car?
It's great that Toyota has cars that are desirable. So bored of all the brick suv on our roads. A hatch is all most need. A fast one would be awesome

tygertung, Apr 17, 7:47am
Looks rad as, but maybe expensive and not many available?

vtecintegra, Apr 17, 10:15am
It looks hilarious but I doubt you'll be able to get one any time soon.

meow_mix, Apr 17, 10:15am
Toyota suddenly wants to do sporty versions of their cars, but they don't want to be seen as an obnoxious company like Subaru. But there were always sporty Toyotas like the FX-GT, Levin, Celica etc.

franc123, Apr 17, 10:40am
Not driven one, the appearance of it was offputting enough. Its big, bloated, too expensive and too similar to other models.

cjohnw, Apr 17, 11:10am
Really?
Care to elaborate why in your opinion?

meow_mix, Apr 17, 11:42am
I love Subarus, I've owned my Legacy RS since 1999, what I meant by obnoxious is the aggressive turbocharged models with bonnet scoops, huge spoilers, big gold mags etc.

Toyota is a very conservative company and maybe shied away from doing a twin turbo Camry because of the image it would attract to the company.

cjohnw, Apr 17, 12:35pm
Well, I guess going by your criteria there are a lot more “obnoxious” car manufacturers then?
Had a look at the new Nissan GTR lately?
Purely as an example, there are plenty more.

meow_mix, Apr 17, 1:01pm
Cars like the Nissan GTR and yes the Toyota Supra are really 'halo cars' designed to raise people's perceptions of the brands. The WRX while a very nice car is really just a turbocharged version of a regular saloon car, this is the sort of car Toyota has avoided doing over the years.

Back in the late 1990s when Toyota were successful in World Rally, they refused to do a road going version of the Corolla WRC, you know a turbo Corolla with holes in the bonnet and a huge rear wing. Subaru however have long offered road going versions of their rally cars.

tamarillo, Apr 17, 1:34pm
Rave road tests in Aussie

s_nz, Apr 17, 4:21pm
I think the price ($59,990 drive away) is pretty reasonable for what it is. But it seems they are going to be hard to come by for quite some time.

bwg11, Apr 17, 4:58pm
Appeals to me. I'm getting a bit old now, but love the concept. Owned FX-GT's, Corolla GT's, Celica's and MR2's in the past. If I didn't need a tow vehicle and could get one, I'd have one as a toy.

kazbanz, Apr 20, 11:00am
Amazing coincidence .The GR appeared on Top Gear last night and the guy just could not stop raving about how good it is.
Built to be a homologation special to qualify for WRC .Then WRC decided they would run last years cars.

alowishes, Apr 20, 11:08am
BUT doesn’t go ‘too similar to other models’
And that’s it’s appeal.

hesian, Apr 20, 4:53pm
We have had a Yaris but not the flasher GR for a couple of years. Wasnt brand new when bought. We really like it. Ours is an automatic. Like most cars nowadays it is made of "plasticized paper" but has good airbags. It is also expensive to repair. We now consider it old enough to live with its scratches and dents. We find it comfortable and zippy and use in town and longer trips. Averagely economical and cheaper say than bus between New Plymouth and Tauranga a trip I do often. Some people might not like the feeling of being in a small car. Trucks arent always kind but being small you can pull off the road in more places.

We would buy another.

serf407, Apr 24, 4:16pm

nesta129, Aug 17, 10:41pm
check out Carwow on youtube,the presenter has one and raves about it.There's also a tuned one (having 310bhp,I think) on one of the videos too.Apparently its loved by those who have driven it.