Toyota Mark X

stevo2, Apr 6, 2:38pm
Son in Law is after a car and he's quite keen in the 1st series (04 to 09) Toyota Mark X 2500cc V6. I dont know why because it seems like a crazy choice as a commuter car but its his money so.
What's every-bodies opinion of these for reliability and availability of parts?
Cheers Stevo

john1623, Apr 6, 4:50pm
Had a 3L Mark x nice car to drive apart from all the Japanese jibberish. Not very suitable if you are over 6 feet tall as the roof is low.I also found it was not easy to enter or exit for us older people.

kiwilandchch, Apr 6, 5:45pm
They are a nice looking car but not shore what they are like petrol wise . thought about buying one myself but need do more research

slacker8, Apr 6, 6:37pm
I had a first series 250G Sports version, great car to drive, reliability was excellant, only thing i needed were some shock absorbers, popped into Toyota and got them, not expensive, and those were the adaptive ones too. Be aware it is direct injection so needs 98 octane fuel.
Only sold it to upgrade to the Second gen Mark-X 350S.

intrade, Apr 6, 6:45pm
get a fresh import 2000-2001

tgray, Apr 6, 7:27pm
Just sold my 2004 an hour ago. 101k, Bluetooth, dual zone climate control, reversing camera, 18inch alloys, for $5,000. These are still one of my very favourite sedans. Same engine and trans as the Lexus IS250. but sell for half the price. Great, reliable, semi luxury grand tourers. Not too bad on gas - at 100kph it sits on slightly less than 2000rpm. Very reliable - loads of parts available.
Watch out for dashboard deterioration.

stevo2, Apr 6, 7:30pm
Thanks T Gray. It was actually yours that was at the top of his watchlist. Just had to figure out how/when to get him to Auckland. I saw tonight that you sold it.
Cheers Stevo

tamarillo, Apr 7, 8:20am
Is he a bigger lad? Had one, sold it as cramped drivers pace and seat won’t go far enough back. For size of car terrible.
Also weak rear shocks, found alternative that fitted and improved car.

tgray, Apr 7, 4:49pm
My 20 year old son is 6"5 inches tall and weight 94kg and had no problem?
I'm not convinced the rear weak shocks are an inherent issue with these cars or was just a problem with your particular one.
Not trying to contradict you, just haven't had the same experience, that's all.

stevo2, Apr 7, 5:01pm
x1
He took a BMW 320, a 325 and an A4 for a test drive today as well as a Mark X.
He didnt like the Mark X as much.
They are all in the $5k to $8k range and no doubt wont be trouble free so I think I'll stay out and leave him to make his own decisions.

tgray, Apr 7, 7:19pm
Little doubt the Toyota will be more reliable.
Personally I wouldn't touch a $5k BMW or Audi.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 7:22pm
I’m only 6’2., we tried to get seat further back but it was at max. Also felt cramped at sides. Of course I could use it but compared with a 3 series bmw I was cramped. When trying to find shocks a few suspension places said it was common and finally one place had alternative sorted.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 7:25pm
I’ve had several older bmws and have great reliability and cheap running. Easy to work on, good to drive. Lots of parts as heaps wrecked. My sons 318 has had a few lights and mirrors bashed as he learns and can get so cheap at wreckers locally.

gunhand, Apr 7, 7:33pm
I looked at a Mark X bout 5 years ago. Im not even 6 foot and not encased in any excess bulk and found it cramped. Wife is my size and she commented on that as well. Also the dealer had great pleasure in saying that the adjustable suspension had just been replaced. Well hearing that put me off too. Gobbly gook on heater controls etc etc also put me off as did hump in rear seat. It went ok. They are much cheaper now so prob not a bad buy but then, naaaa.

franc123, Apr 8, 11:10am
Only buy a Mark X if you are smallish and have a particular fancy for RWD, in every other way an equivalent Camry is a better buy even if it lacks a few toys. Theres good reasons why some models do not get officially released into overseas markets and the Mark X is a good example.

stornello, Apr 8, 8:09pm
The old Mark IX was better.

bumfacingdown, Aug 24, 2:06am
Or the old Mk1V