What SS commodore to buy as future classic?

Page 2 / 2
richardmayes, Feb 13, 3:11pm
I've always been around old cars, but never been a V8 guy, so take anything I say on that basis.

When Holdens and falcons get old, anything with a v8 in it is sought after, and anything that has a 6 cylinder starts to be seen in terms of "I could swap a V8 into that" We can see this from how the 60s, 70s and 80s cars are bought and sold and discussed now.

So any V8 Holden should have a built-in future if it's looked after.

HSVs of the 90s and 2000s were fairly iconic performance cars of their time and place so I would have thought that if age and condition were the same, an HSV should command a bit more than the equivalent model SS, Calais or the likes.

(I like the VY clubsport and Monaro, those were just good-looking cars without the massive bulk of the later models. And they remind me ofthe time when I was starting to notice nice cars as a kid.)

But the newer (VE onwards) models have much nicer interiors, and the power went up into the stratosphere with those, which is the reason anybody wants a V8.

I'd buy the black VY clubsport or the red Berlina station wagon with HSV instruments, those are the cheapest on your list to get into, and have more years of depreciation behind them. The black one in particular looks like a nice example of its type.

meow_mix, Feb 13, 10:23pm
I always liked the Falcon Tickford V8s, the FPVs are nice too but I don't know about the name, FPV is obviously a rip off of HSV.

hotelcarpet, Feb 13, 11:19pm
OP has raised an inflationary subject and yes dream on buick powered biathes cars do you really own a harley and have family. id put any petrol awd in the 90's aside for collection though.

gpg58, Feb 14, 2:48am
Asked on Friday night why it was written off, no reply yet(imported from Australia as a statutory write off).
Not sure even a very well repaired vehicle, would be a good investment, (does that fact remain on its title somehow, for all future owners to see?)

tygertung, Feb 14, 7:33am
It might be worthwhile for collecting, but not as an investment as there are too many ongoing costs involved with something like that.

tgray, Feb 14, 8:56am
Apparently $100 of Bitcoin purchased 10 years ago, is worth $48,000,000 today.

ryanm2, Feb 14, 6:26pm
Not apparently - in 2012 I bought 10 Bitcoin and that cost around $1100. ( no I don’t have them, sold them years ago )

likit, Feb 14, 9:54pm
I purchased a HSV GTS coupe in 2015 for $34k, have had 2 offers above $60k, still holding onto it.

gunhand, Feb 14, 10:00pm
I tried to convince a mate to guy a CV8 about 5 years ago for under 30k. It was a reasonably tidy one. He hummed and hahed and bought a SV6 instead.
Its now worth close to twice that price. I tried explaining they only made the new Monaros for about two years and never will again

curlcrown, Feb 19, 8:53pm
We've been 20 years away from the end of petrol for the last 70 years.

marte, Feb 19, 9:20pm
When they were US $3 I had a go at trying to buy some, was intending to get NZ$1000. Spent some time trying to find out how & where to buy it and gave up.
There were lots of obvious scam sites, dead ends & such, instructions were difficult to find & outdated.

ryanm2, Sep 11, 7:15pm
Mt Gox was the exchange most kiwis were using 10 years ago and that’s the one that got hacked, I highly doubt you’ll meet anyone that has held onto the coin for more than 10 years. It’s just too volatile.