Noise from timing cover area Mitsubishi Airtrek

sirdoug, Feb 21, 10:23am
I have a Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo which had timing belt replaced 70k ago. Everything was replaced .Both belts tensioners .water pump. It has now developed a noise which is worsening from that area. I have released the tension on the drive belt and the noise stopped. So can rule out air con ,power steering pump and alternator. Looks like I will have to replace everything again. Any help?

sirdoug, Feb 21, 11:08am
sorry ,should have read the noise didnt stop when drive belt released.

gazzat22, Feb 21, 11:38am
As a start take the cover off and make sure nothing is loose or has worked loose. cheers

intrade, Feb 21, 1:35pm
get it done soonest i ignored a noise on my astra s its belt was done 25k ago by me, the waterpump bearing was seeazing up making the noise. it was a new oem pump also= why i ignored it till the belt broke and valves bent. found out after the fact .

intrade, Feb 21, 1:38pm
so hang on removal of drive belts outside cover did stop your noise/?
ok i see your post after its inside timing cover. yes replace it all again is the only way try get bosch or gates parts or denso.

sirdoug, Feb 21, 1:40pm
Thanks.Thats exactly what I am thinking

sirdoug, Feb 21, 1:42pm
No .I made an error explaining it the original post.Releasing the drive belt did not stop the noise.

intrade, Feb 21, 1:47pm
its one big nightmare now. i fitted SKF wheel bearing to my car. but somone f. d the hub up so the play was in the hub not the bearing . so i pulled the hub this split the sealed bearing open and i found almost no grease in the bearing. so i refilled it with more grease the new SKF bearing before i fitted the new hub.
i also seen starter motors for cheap failed after 3 month. the bearing never had any grease in them at all.
waterpump bearings you are screwd if they have no or insufficient grease

sirdoug, Feb 21, 1:54pm
I think it can only be an idler or water pump bearing .Could the water pump or idler fail and derail the belt.Thanks for your help.

franc123, Feb 21, 2:01pm
How many years ago was the work done? If something like this happens in the last 30% of a timing belts scheduled life then it might just be a case of just biting the bullet and redoing it. You could try removing the upper belt cover, starting the engine and giving the belt a tiny squirt of water to see if the noise changes. While it's running observe the belt for any defects in its surface.

sirdoug, Feb 21, 2:07pm
Work was done 7 years ago and at 70k km. I will try what you say.

kazbanz, Sep 11, 11:50am
Put simply--don't muck around. The vehicle has done 70 k since being done--so 140 k in total--BUT its been 7 years. That's long enough for a seal to leak or a belt to break down. --Right now its an inconvenience.--wait and it COULD be Chernoble. -equally could be something simple