Battery dead ?

flynn999, Jun 26, 4:31pm
So I have a old Holden Ute 6 cylinder that’s more of a workhorse than commuter car it mainly does short local trips , been having battery troubles ( again !) and the AA agent ate probably getting sick of my call outs , the battery is 3 years old yesterday I had it running for an hour after jump start and drove a short trip , this morning it wouldn’t start , is it time to get s new battery or is it just due to lack of use ?

jmma, Jun 26, 4:37pm
Batteries ain't what they used to be, Did AA test it for you when they come out?

flynn999, Jun 26, 4:45pm
No just that the alternator is working .

franc123, Jun 26, 4:49pm
AA service isnt what it used to be either they should have been able to determine on the first visit what the issue was, or at least likely was. I'd suggest giving it a proper external charge then load testing it, as well as testing the charge rate. If its charging OK and the battery tests bad then it could be its being discharged too far, either from a parasitic load that shouldnt be there or simply from not using it enough. Trickle charging it may help. Also be aware that calcium batteries are not a good choice for older vehicles, they need high output alternators to keep up with them.

cjohnw, Jun 26, 5:05pm
I had a battery that did that occasionally. Usually when we were away from home and it was raining!
Turned out it had a faulty cell, so would partially charge and then drain to flat.
Have you had the battery tested?

flynn999, Jun 26, 5:22pm
Cheers for advice , yeah the other poster is right the AA is not what they used to be although we are rural so they contract it out , think I’ll get battery tested , it’s a bloody nuisance !

tool_shop173, Jun 26, 5:28pm
Is it a calcium battery?

martin11, Jun 27, 8:23am
Just changed a Battery in my car and it was coming up 8 years old !

gunna-1, Jun 27, 8:33am
I have had batteries that showed green and tested ok that wouldent crank anything for long, and another battery fixed it, i have no idea about this mysterious battery fault, but if the battery isnt to blame i would look at the alternator, and second that realy burns people to sort out when it happens is a faulty dirty ignition switch that can somehow drain the battery switched of over a couple of days, one of my cars with a good battery that stays charged will be dead in two days if it isnt disconnected overnight.

budgel, Jun 27, 12:48pm
A failing battery can be disguised by daily use because it gets topped up each day.
Have the car sit for a few days or more and you are in need of a jump start.
It's not hard to check the charging rate with a cheap multi meter. Youtube will show you how quicker than I could explain it here.

intrade, Jun 27, 1:28pm
what holden v6 a newer one or older_ old . New battery and a cteck charger would be what to buy as investment The correct battery is important and one with 40+,- month warranty.

intrade, Jun 27, 1:32pm
also AA callouts there is a limmit I have never ever used any callouts . but do know cheapskates Who did use it over and over untill they was asked to pay topup as it reached the money limmited for callouts. So if you keep doing callouts and then you really need one and you used all the money up you are going to be in for a surprise. i think its 1500 doller or so cover. So not they dont get sick of comming they gona hand you a bill to pay once your over its that easy. I recon they get minimal pay for callouts so will do as little as possible its probably 150 to 250 bux each time off your 1500 a zear cover per callout 4 to 5 and its over from what i recall from the cheapskate.

franc123, Jun 27, 1:36pm
It depends on your membership status as to how many free callouts you get.

intrade, Jun 27, 1:39pm
yea thats true i could be on unlimitted by now i get a discount off Already for longer and i am AA plus that covers more . And no i dont use my AA for cheapskates to get free callouts

cjohnw, Jun 27, 1:40pm
Nope not entirely correct there intrade.

Roadside call outs are restricted to 6 per year.
However if you have been a member for 10+ years (as I have) there is no limit.
Callouts that exceed the 6 maximum are charged at $60 each.

franc123, Jun 27, 2:16pm
They had to do that because there were goons ringing them up several times a week to get dead neglected cars going that refused to go every time they tried to use them because of duffed batteries, rotten battery terminals, starters or alternators that they were told needed repair or replace, including cars belonging to dropkick mates that did not even belong to the members that they were seeking free diagnosis and possibly repair of. I remember a former work colleague who was a contractor for them shortened a members radiator hose once just to stop it leaking, stressed that the hose needed replacing ASAP and sent them on their way. Six months later he gets called out to the same car for a different matter and sure enough there was his temporary repair still there.

kiwilandchch, Jun 27, 3:01pm
Agree AA are totally useless pricks. I had AA plus they tried to do everything not to help me when broke down out town. I ended up having pay and sort everything myself then claiming the money off AA. Will never use them again.

yz490, Jun 28, 12:24pm
Had the alternator on a diesel corolla years ago that had stuffed a diode or something & charged perfect but slowly drained the battery overnight. Car was getting tired so just unhooked the battery overnight & carried on for a while until i sold it, disclosing the fault of course.

murrayb, Jun 29, 8:09am
Last week I called AA as my battery was totally flat, turned up in 15 minutes, tested battery, and replaced it. Car back up & running within 30minutes of call.

tygertung, Jul 18, 9:45pm
I have been thinking of getting/making a mini solar panel charger to keep the battery topped up as we hardly ever drive the car and the battery can slowly discharge over time.