2000 Toyota Platz

taureanbabe, Sep 18, 1:06pm
Can anyone tell me if this model of car is a good one to buy?

franc123, Sep 18, 1:49pm
Yes absolutely. The Platz is the sedan version of the Echo or Vitz hatchback. Bear in mind it's getting old, as with any car a good prepurchase check is wise, ones that appear to have had neglectful owners and poor servicing in the past should be avoided. All the engines are pretty good but they need good oils to stay healthy moreso than 90's Toyota engines, 1000cc is ok in town but avoid if much highway driving is planned, 1300 is ok, 1500 beter still, be weary of any rattles from the engine after it starts either hot or cold, get your PPI inspector to pay close attention to this, the timing chain could be getting a bit stretched if that means anything to you. Theres still lowish km ones about for reasonable money, but make sure it is reasonable money first, I wouldnt be paying more than $3000-3500 for the very best conditions ones of that generation as $5000 will get you into a post 2005 model.

kazbanz, Sep 18, 4:03pm
As a make/model the answer is a definite YES. They are a fantastic bullet proof car. You have a better than average chance its going to be mechanically sound. BUT -this one is now 20 years old so my answer has to be a solid MAYBEE. Depending on how its been treated over the past 20 years. Get a full PP inspection to establish the condition of that specific car.

807, Sep 18, 5:27pm
I think they were also called a Belta , later on ?

msigg, Sep 18, 5:42pm
Yes, very reliable. Not much else to say.

taureanbabe, Sep 19, 8:26am
The for above comments. It is selling for 1850, wish I could afford a more up to date car, but I can't

intrade, Sep 19, 8:37am
1850 bux is basically either a bargain or scrap metal . if you have no clues about cars then you do just 2 tests the first one is you unscrew the oil filler and look inside the engine and the lid. it has to be nice and clean black is ok also but not as if you baked a cacke and the cake burned in the tin . if it lookes like a burned cake tin close the lid and walk away.`as that is service neglect. and toyota rank real high for that treatment.
also only buz the 1.5 vvti
Next test is it must drive as if it was new. also should look as new under bonnet. rest of car dont matter .

kazbanz, Sep 19, 12:10pm
Hey ACTUALLY ya know car manufacturers make major developments and release genuinely NEW models every 5-7 years. The running gear in the Platz was just after Toyota made a HUGE leap forwards in their engines. Mechanically its identical to a huge range of other Toyota's sold right up to 2007. This year 2000 platz is identical to the last of them sold in 2005. -with some extremely minor cosmetic changes. Generally Ive found that the Platz specifically tends to be well looked after just because of its target audience. Frankly for under 2k its a darn good option.

tgray, Sep 19, 12:22pm
Unless you want to keep it forever, never buy a Platz/1000cc/manual.
It would be virtually impossible to sell (from experience).

franc123, Nov 17, 3:01pm
That's OK, you are buying one of the better cars available in that size of its era. Just make sure everything important is as it should be and get it checked out.