2012 Lancer sei 2.0L, overheating.

volvolad, Jan 17, 6:22pm
Above vehicle with overheating issue, temp gauge was reading high, when warning to investigate , no water leaks, coolant at normal level, thermostat possibly, your thoughts thanks.

intrade, Jan 17, 6:23pm
stuck thermostat or impeller on water-pump no longer moves are the first 2 things come to mind.

franc123, Jan 17, 7:10pm
Was the air conditioning running at the time? Does the radiator fan appear to be working?

marte, Jan 17, 7:18pm

volvolad, Jan 17, 7:56pm
Air conditioning was NOT running at the time, and electric fan Not coming on now you mention it, thanks.

s_nz, Jan 17, 8:07pm
If it is a failed radiator fan, the car will run at normal temperature at open road speed's, and will only overheat at low speeds. Also Cranking the heater to the max will make some difference (perhaps not enough to avoid cooking the engine).

Would be fairly easy to diagnose a failed fan on the driveway. Just idle and watch the temp gauge. If the temp gauge is above normal and the fan dosn't kick in it's faulty. Shut everything down before the engine gets cooked.

franc123, Jan 17, 8:56pm
If its the one I'm thinking of the fan controllers were prone to failure. It's a box mounted to the fan mounting frame, if you run the engine and switch on the A/C and the fan doesn't come on, and you firmly tap the box with say a screwdriver handle and it does come on, or pulses and stops again, you need another controller. Radiator fans dont necessarily just turn on and off when tripped by a radiator switch any more, it will be run at varying speeds determined by the engine controller based on what the operating demands and of course the temperature of the engine are at the time. It will always be running when the A/C is on as condenser airflow is critical to its function at all times.

tygertung, Jan 18, 12:00pm
Try checking to see if water looks like it is flowing through the radiator once it warms up a little. Just run it without the cap on, it would be safer to take the cap off when it is cold.

tygertung, Jan 19, 4:47pm
I've got a CE lancer wagon but I don't think the OBD2 port will work with one of those gizmos.

intrade, Jan 19, 9:34pm
temperature is covered under obd2 emission room. it will say -400 or something if the sensor faild. As where in factory room it will say 56 as it uses a substituted value. obd2 emission is not allowed to substitute values . by law.

volvolad, Jan 22, 6:25pm
Thank you all, stuck thermostat, all fixed now, all good.

tygertung, Jan 22, 8:22pm
Would everyone have been so helpful if the poster was a woman? I remember a recent overheating thread where many people said to not touch the car and get a mechanic to fix it.

tgray, Jan 23, 8:00am
Never thought about the posters gender. I'm sure most others didn't either.
No one said they should try and fix it, just ideas as to what might be the cause.

marte, Jan 23, 8:21am
The boxer engine, the OP who never supplied any more info than that?

tygertung, Jan 23, 8:51am
No they said their husband was away, thus revealing that she was a woman.

gph1961, Jan 23, 9:28am
maybe adam and steve

sw20, Jan 23, 10:27am
Who said it had to be a woman with a husband?

I’m not sure if you are really naive or a troll.

gazzat22, Jan 23, 11:22am
It was a woman and yes people were very helpful and gave good advice to a person who appeared to know very little about cars.!

tygertung, Sep 24, 8:08am
Well of course it could be a same sex couple, but the majority of married people are not the same sex, and if it was a same sex couple, I doubt that they would say "my husband" anyway.