What the procedure, WOF and Rego

skin1235, Oct 18, 3:45am
Linda's wee sunny ( N14) failed a warrant re right wiper spindle noisy, rego is due last month
my understanding it cannot get rego up to date and then put on hold until it has a wof
which is a right pain in the proverbial, cos no wreckers have any in stock right now, very common failure, lots of lefts but no rights,
I'd prefer to put the rego on hold until I can source parts, but as it is a month overdue I suspect it will not be possible?

phillip.weston, Oct 18, 3:50am
you do not require a WOF to put reg on hold, it just needs to be brought up to date. If the rego is less than two months outstanding you can put it on hold immediately and do not have to pay, however if it is over two months out then you need to pay.

2sheddies, Oct 18, 3:51am
You don't need a wolf to put the licence on exemption. But when you apply for it, there's a chance you might have to pay the back rego before they'll grant the exemption. You do have a certain grace period, but I can't remember how long it is now.

But you don't have to worry about the wof skin.

phillip.weston, Oct 18, 3:52am
if you then put reg on the vehicle within the first three months of the hold period, the reg starts from the date you put it on hold - so if the car is off the road for just another month or two then there really isn't much need to put the car on hold. If it's going to be off the road for more than three months then putting it on hold is a good idea. Just make sure you don't let it go 12 months without rego, then it will automatically de-register.

skin1235, Oct 18, 4:08am
ahh, so I can roll up and pay any back rego, without a wof, and put it on hold at that time (maybe not even have to pay any back rego if it is inside the grace period )

its the third car, used more by the kids as a standby courtesy car than we use it ourselves, should actually flick it, it costs more to keep on the road than we get back in usage

tgray, Oct 18, 4:12am
WOF fail due to noisy wiper?

m16d, Oct 18, 4:15am
Crikey. it must have been real noisey.

2sheddies, Oct 18, 4:16am
Yep, absolutely. You can do it online. You just need the vehicle details and your licence. And a credit or debit card if fees are required. But now philip westons jogged my memory I don't reckon you'll need to pay anything if you do it now.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/online-services

Theres the link but you'll have to wait till a bit later though. appears they're currently doing online maintenance, so it's not working at the mo.

curlcrown, Oct 18, 4:25am
Right wiper spindle noisy is not a WOF fail. What does it say word for word on the reject sheet?

franc123, Oct 18, 4:28am
+1, seems a bit suspicious unless the wiper was clearly not wiping the screen correctly. Noise in itself? Nope.

kazbanz, Oct 18, 4:35am
Skin- I agree re wof fail being sus.
But given the fail is legit have you taken a look to see what can be done to shut it up. Packers to take up slop,a bore down a sleeve and a resleeve if its slop in the slleve. or grease or if its a plastic cup worn maybe a cup from the right side will fit. Theres lots of ways to improve the performance of that old stuff so its a wof pass.

skin1235, Oct 18, 4:37am
it was virtually seized and squawking when in use, I would have pulled it out and fixed it before sending it in for a wof but one of the kids thought he was doing us a favour

the "right wiper spindle noisy and needs fixing' is what is on the sheet, and did what it was intended to do - tell us the right spindle needed replacing
its too far gone to fix and needs a replacement, word from wreckers is they are very scarce, currently none showing on online listings

skin1235, Oct 18, 4:45am
don't worry, I've removed it, two of the 3 mounts on the plastic base are broken, the spindle is so tight on the shaft it takes serious effort to turn it with vice grips, I cannot tap it off the shaft cos it refuses to move ( would have redrilled it and lubed it, and remade a base for it if I could have got it moving ) plenty of left spindles, but they are nowhere near even modify-able

will worry about the wof at a later stage, good to know I can get the rego on hold at least without the wof - that was my main concern

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:12am
Right there . > "right wiper spindle noisy and needs fixing"<

In other words, right side wiper appears to be about to fail which makes it dangerous for driving in the rain.
Right side = drivers side

franc123, Oct 18, 9:24am
Tip of the evening! Thanks for that Mr Daley.

skin1235, Oct 18, 9:32am
yeah no, shes stuffed mate, I'm oldschool, if it can be fixed you fix it, this is past it

the kids use this more than I do, its been here at home about 3 months in the last year ( usual story, it comes home when its due for work or wof or rego, lol
the financials are fine (the kids will cough), I just have to wait until I canget a part for it, the worry was re getting rego up to date without a wof, cos silly me let it run overdue by a month or so ( not more than 2) thinking it'll pass a wof and I'll rego it next time I'm in town
with no wof it will go on hold and stay here, the kids will have to find another solution

franc123, Oct 18, 9:36am
Price what you need from Nissan first before paying for a partly worn one from a wrecker, it'll either be rudely expensive or surprisingly cheap. If its a fast mover it may be reasonably priced.

skin1235, Oct 18, 10:40pm
100 bucks for new ones?, and I'm of scottish, jewish, NO8 wire kiwi heritage
ohh that hurts

franc123, Oct 18, 11:39pm
Find out what the wrecker would want and what Nissan want first. One by itself for the side you actually NEED to replace may be cheaper.

supernova2, Oct 19, 5:38am
What about ebay, amazon etc ?

lookoutas, Oct 21, 4:36am
100 bucks! Don't be a TA.
If you spend 2 hours stuffing around, you've gone backwards.
As it seems to be an inherent problem - if you buy a second hand one, it's probably only 5 minutes away from becoming a stuffed one too.

skin1235, Jan 15, 1:11am
haha, TA maybe, its a $100 for a set, sure I can probably argue and get a half set, but its a $100, hummph blardy motor cars, they should run for 30 yrs before needing the oil changed, just a rippoff having to replace things every 20 yrs