Proving paint damage is old?

ratzos, Mar 5, 6:56am
Hi guys,
Some numpty reversed into my car, so it's currently being repaired by insurance who have also supplied a hire car from Hertz.

Now on picking it up I had a fairly reasonable look over it and found many scratches/ stone chips they missed and got the to mark down.
On driving past the 2014 Corolla hatch hire car, in my girlfriends car, I saw these grazes that I definitely did NOT do. But because it's on a downward angle I didn't see it face on.

Can I prove this is old?What should I do? I can see them trying to blame me for it. Thanks.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/367949725.jpg

kazbanz, Mar 5, 6:58am
its a graze on plastic so hard to prove its age.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 7:10am
So is this damage NOT recorded on the damage sheet they gave you with car? I've found them pretty thorough with them.

ratzos, Mar 5, 7:13am
Correct, it is not recorded.
The damage sheet wasn't very thorough in my experience, I found at least half a dozen extra reasonable sized scratches/dings etc.
Even the service lady with me commented it was a pretty poor job when I showed her.

saxman99, Mar 5, 8:35am
Return it, say nothing. They will likely never notice or if they do will not follow up. If they do come after you just tell them it was like that before you picked up.

"But it's not on the sheet !"

"The sheet wasn't done with due care and diligence. See you in court."

I seriously doubt they will sue you for it.

attitudedesignz, Mar 5, 6:16pm
This 'damage record' thing, is it a thing where they and/or you inspect vehicle and both parties sign it off?

If so, I think OP is on a slippery slope and may have a 1% chance of winning the argument.

kazbanz, Mar 5, 7:58pm
im sorry but maybe you don't understand how the damage sheet works.
2 parties go out to the vehicle and EXAMINE it. There may well be known pre existing stuff on the sheet which speeds the process up but its up to YOU and the rental company to spot the damage.

martin11, Mar 5, 8:05pm
I am sure that it also says on the sheet to inspect the car for damage and report it to them if you find some not on the sheet .

lookoutas, Mar 6, 6:15am
Bit tuff to prove either way.
We all carry phones these days, and it doesn't take long to take 4 photo's before you take the car. Make sure they see you take them.

Jeez - we do that when a car comes in. It's amazing how often a photo has to be pulled up to show there was a dent somewhere else, and we didn't do it!

They try it on.

If the rental Co has got any brains, they will quickly snap some off too.

You should see what our courtesy car has come back like! Which is why not many get it any more.

ratzos, May 14, 6:07pm
Thanks guys. It turns out that the service agent I was with was actually an ex colleague of my girlfriends. A quick FB message, and was told it's not a problem, she will make sure it's noted. What a small world.
But that could have turned out quite bad, will always be taking photos from now on
I would have happily otherwise dropped it off and told them to fight me for it - except they had taken $200 odd from me as a returnable bond.