Recommend an SUV which is

Page 2 / 4
thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 11:54am
This one might be even better and its a bit closer to home too.
http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Car.aspx!RefId=891917

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 11:57am
Thinking about it, as I assume you have not yet seen one in person you may change your mind a bit on styling. Its hard to appreciate from the photos that they are still quite a compact car for what they are. While the back end might look vanish in the pictures, its no where near as tall or bulky as a van in the scale of the real world. Its still quite stubby at the back don't get me wrong but its not like looking at the back end of a Hiace in person.

Anyhow, I think the best thing you can do is to go and find a Touran thats local for purposes of a test drive. Once you have driven one its a lot easier to appreciate them as more than just specs on a page.

73040, Sep 7, 12:01pm
Thanks that wellington one looks too good to be true a 2006 touran done 96k for 10k

Its just matter or convincing dad to buy a european and even more, convincing him to buy something when he was expecting a pajero lol to a VW. I agree competely Touran is relatively way newer, much higher specs than similar priced ipsum/stream.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 12:05pm
Thats why I get so excited about them they are just so much car for the money. Its only in NZ they are a bargain, you pay a huge premium for a Touran over the Japanese makes in other countries. Its a peculiarity of us having imported Japanese used cars for so long.
There is zero drawback to owning a good European car like a VW, actually VW have more to spend on research and development than anyone else there product is much better than the opposition in general at the moment which shows given they are effectively the worlds biggest automaker at the moment by volume.
The best way to convince is to take one for a run. We have had a bunch of cars in our family with that supurb DSG transmission and FSI engine and we will be having more.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 12:07pm
Incidentally, after his first long trip I think Dad would be blown away how much more pleasant the Touran is. Especially when it comes to corners and passing. oh and paying for the fuel.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 12:23pm
The stream is one of the better Japanese efforts but it just dosn't compete with the Touran in terms of what you are getting.
Usual story of a small engine coupled to an old school inneficient transmission, Honda's small engines are very good but the transmission really holds it back in terms of economy and performance. You still only have the bare minimum two airbags and then there are a multitude of other little things that are either missing or not as good too.

73040, Sep 7, 12:39pm
Hmm yes a3 sure do looks nice. I'm going to hit the bed now will do more research on cars tomorrow. thanks and cya later

msigg, Sep 7, 7:12pm
Buy a prado. Can't go wrong.

craig04, Sep 7, 7:39pm
And if you are lucky too, you should be able to get 40,000km's out of a Touran before the DSG gearbox needs to be rebuilt.

craig04, Sep 7, 7:45pm
On a serious note, avoid RepoCars like the plague.

73040, Sep 7, 9:08pm
Another reason for SUV/van is dad need a car with higher seat position due to backpain. Peugeot looks nice but I doubt it will be suitable because it looks like same height as a sedan.

slarty45, Sep 7, 9:22pm
Stupid question 73040

he hates jappas something wicked

but loves veedubbs and fiats

hence the bias

(jap 4wd good for towing dead euros)

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:32pm
Poster, this is just craig04 having a laugh. The DSG in the Touran is a super reliable unit, about the most reliable transmission money can buy actually.

There was a different design DSG that did have some problems but the hecklers (who are just that hecklers with no direct personal experience with these cars) don't understand the difference.

craig04, Sep 7, 9:40pm
This is no laughing matter! But, you're right Jazz, there haven't been any cases of DSG transmissions requiring any re-builds.

craig04, Sep 7, 9:45pm
I'm having a sh!tty day, so you'll have to excuse me. You love stating that anyone who has a differing opinion to you has no personal experience and are hecklers. But seriously Jazz. Do you have personal experience with all of the Japanesse suggestions that you love to rubbish! I doubt it. You just feel that the product you recommend is so much better. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but that doesn't make you any more right or others any more wrong. You come across like Scotty20001 with a large vocabulary.
Sorry - rant over. As you were.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:49pm
Funny man, actually there have been quite a few DSG transmissions requiring work. but those would be the dry clutch version and most of those were coupled to the high torque Diesel engines.
The Touran in question uses the wet clutch version with the petrol engine, its a completely different unit.

Your argument is a bit like "Don't buy an automatic transmission" "I heard that automatic transmissions fail". Just like the term "Automatic Transmission" is really broad and covers many different designs "DSG" is a broad term as well. You have to remember that DSG transmissions are one of the most popular transmissions on the planet now. If you look at it in terms of the popularity of one particular design/model of transmission usually it is the most popular transmission on earth at any given time.

craig04, Sep 7, 9:52pm
I think you'll find that gay sex is increasing in popularity around the world but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:55pm
We are all allowed off days, don't sweat it, heck I am lying here crook in bed again and am not super tolerant at the moment either.
I don't have a massive wealth of knowledge with every single Japanese option, but personal experience only helps you with some areas.

For example, lots of personal experience with the VW helps because then you know first hand what the reliability, servicing costs etc are actually like.

However a massive amount of personal experience with say the Toyota Ipsum is not going to magically put more gears in the transmission or add any airbags to it. Nor is it going to change the torque converter out for something more efficient.

The thing is the VW looks significantly better on paper than any of those Japanese options, and I make no apology for that. The only way to try and attack the VW is to try and heckle it on intangibles (like possible reliability or service costs) and perhaps looks.

Thats where it gets tricky because only people who have had experience first hand with them really know for themselves that they are very reliable and cheap to own.

craig04, Sep 7, 9:57pm
Do you recall the 06 Golf I pointed out on TM that had it's DSG rebuilt at 40,000km's! That was a 2.0 petrol. I think the challange was that you would find me a 4 year old Corolla that required the same work at similar km's. How are you getting on with that!
Anyway, far kit! You're right and I'm wrong.

craig04, Sep 7, 10:01pm
The thing is, for a lot of people the trans in the Ipsum, it's performance and economy is quite acceptable. It's a people mover. It's not pretending to be anything else. Anything can be made to look good on paper. Just look at a Holden Cruze.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:03pm
Sorry I shouldn't heckle you when you are having a bad day. I hope nothing too serious is getting you down, your a top bloke and I really enjoy your light hearted posts.
Incidentally anything can break, we have seen posts from Kaz with broken Toyotas on several occasions. Its just how many break as a percentage that counts, and when you look at those numbers the wet clutch DSG is really reliable, and so it should be when you look at the design. Its also quite inexpensive to buy a complete replacement transmission if you happened to be super unlucky.

Anyway, I will leave it at that. I hope things get better for you soon, if you lived closer I would offer to buy you a beer.

rovercitroen, Sep 7, 10:06pm
Aww, that's nice. I'd buy you BOTH a beer. Hope you both feel better soon.

rovercitroen, Sep 7, 10:12pm
craig04 - Do you like your XR6! What year is it!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:12pm
Thanks!
Oh and don't worry I will be up and about annoying the MRS by collecting more crazy Italian cars again real soon. I am MUCH better these days, my only problem now is my weak immune system which this time around has turned Tonsilitis into a month long event!
Its not all bad though, plenty of time to cause mischief on here, Mrs Jazz does supurb room service and there is always online shopping for tools!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:17pm
Oh the indignation, being banged up and parked next to a Punto at the same time!
I trust everyone was O.K though!