Recommend an SUV which is

Page 3 / 4
craig04, Sep 7, 10:20pm
I actually didn't even notice the Fiat. What does that say lol.
Car was written off. Everyone was fine but my little boy was a bit shaken up.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:25pm
Thats not too bad, I hope the wee man bounces back quickly from the experience. Funnily enough I may well end up with a Falcon Ute in the next 12 months so I will be keen for any updates on how you get on.

Oh and yeah, I don't know what was with Fiat for a couple of years there. They went and put bland fronts on the Multipla and the Punto. Luckily for the Punto the Ferrari design team sorted the next model!

craig04, Sep 7, 10:27pm
He already has bounced back. Everytime (literally) we go past the scene of the accident, he announces to all that "this is where Mummy crashed" and my daughter announced it to her classroom in morning news that Mummy crashed the car! Nothing like trial by toddlers.

mopsy3, Sep 7, 10:27pm
Interested to know what extra care a petrol SUV requires over a petrol sedan!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:32pm
LOL, classic stuff. lets hope there is no class trip heading past there anytime soon then.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 10:42pm
Fair question.
From what I have noticed its more a bunch of extra small costs that add a surprising amount to the total cost of ownership, even with little SUV's like Rav's.

Mostly with a petrol SUV though its fuel cost, to quote the proverbial Touran again its pretty easy to chew through 50%-100% more fuel with an SUV by comparison.

Then you have the 4WD drive train etc which means more moving parts and things like doing a wheel bearing can become a lot more expensive.

Tyres while not necessarily more expensive sometimes are and tyre life can be worse.

Service intervals are usually shorter.

If you decide to go Diesel to save a bit on the fuel cost you are unlikely to match the equivalent fuel cost of the likes of a Touran and then in this price range you usually have to service the vehicle 2-3 times more often than the Touran and each service may cost more.

Most of the Diesels available in that price range are no where near as reliable as the petrol units in the Touran, or even the Japanese sedans and people movers. You only have to look at the 1KZ which is celebrated by many as the "bees knees" to see how prone they can be to expensive repairs. (They are renowned for cracking heads)

Its also worth noting that in this case for the price you are generally looking at a vehicle that may not be far off twice as old for the same money so that will in itself tend to mean higher maintenance costs as parts age and km's will likely be a bit higher as well.

There are also often other funny little things that crop up, not necessarily major in themselves but it all adds to the pile. Plus remember its not just a cost thing, its a safety, comfort and features equation as well.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 11:02pm
Sweet that sounds promising.
I know I am always twisting your arm away from what you want to do but honestly I think you are likely to save quite a bit of money by flicking one of your cars on TM first. The little bit of effort it takes to sell is likely to reap you are really good return on your time.

You will find some dealers will offer you some very tasty sounding trades but you have to remember most are buying cars for much the same price, that means if the trade is sounding really good chances are they have over-inflated the price of the car you want to buy.

Also, sticking to car yards you are not at all likely to get a bargain. The Touran you can pick up at Turners etc for 10K is likely going to be 15K on a dealers lot.

Realistically to go for a dealer purchased car in your price range in Christchurch you are really going to be stuck with only the Japanese options which as you know means compromises on safety, spec, power, economy.

My advice is this is a real opportunity to do a little bit of work in return for a substantial financial reward. Its worth considering carefully. Oh and buying privately is not necessarily any more risky so long as you go about it wisely. If you find a car that looks like a serious contender investing a few dollars getting it checked by a VW garage (in the case of a Touran) can be well worth while. Don't bother with AA or VTNZ checks, they do a lovely job of telling you all about chips, dents and minor things that don't matter yet they do little to properly check the expensive fundamentals.

Also, try and take the VW and its alternatives for a good drive, both round town and up the port hills etc if you can. That should help make a decision easy.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 11:08pm
BTW, there are bound to be some of our dealer posters along to tell you all about why you should buy from a dealer. While some of their points may have a bit of substance they are of course quite biased.

73040, Sep 7, 11:22pm
Hey jazz - funny you say that, I always think like that and I did put the car on trademe, even did a $1 reserve, went up to $4.8k but sale never happened because they pulled out and fixed price offer didn't do it either. Lot of people were interested and offered over 5 but when time came to bid they all bailed out, the auction finished around 8pm ish as well so good timing, and had it on trademe for 3 weeks.

Got so frustrated hence why trade in. And dealer offered 5k for it hence why we are tempted.

Grangies - quite like the odyssey but not the one in your link, I like the new shape and old one looks umm well old lol

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 11:27pm
Keep at it on trademe. It certainly sounds popular, it just may take a couple of goes. Remember if its only getting $4800 on TM and the dealer is offering $5K the dealers margin has to be coming from somewhere. It costs a lot just in overheads to run a car yard even before the dealer makes a profit.

I am not denying dealers the right to make money, they have families to feed, work hard and provide a service. However in your case where that last dollar can mean you can get in to a much newer and better equipped vehicle it may be well worth the effort to do the work yourself. It also opens up a whole range of vehicles that otherwise wont be available.

Remember nice shiny clean cars with lots of good clear photos with a nice backdrop sell best. I havn't seen your auction, I am just saying that in general.

mopsy3, Sep 7, 11:38pm
My petrol SUV doesnt cost anymore to service or run than mypetrol sedans. Has the same service frequency as well! Which ones would require more servicing and why would they! Are you just trying to put OP off SUV's!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 12:08am
Its entirely possible to buy an inefficient sedan for any price. Its however near enough impossible to buy an SUV in poster 1's price range thats even going to come close to being as cheap to run as what is being suggested.

Plus you are only looking at it from a running cost perspective, safety, comfort and features are all factors as well.

You are more than welcome to post your list of 7 seater SUV's for $11'000 that will do the equivalent of Euro Cycle 8l/100km combined economy. (Which realistically will translate to around 7-7.5/100km cruising around CHCH.

morrisman1, Sep 8, 12:13am
Or perhaps you don't take notice of costs. You have more components in an awd, things like universal joints, a second set of CV joints, more strain on suspension bushes, more strain on shock absorbers.

I suggest that everytime you spend money on that SUV you think about 1) is this component even existing on a 2wd sedan and 2) if it does exist then what is the price of the component for the sedan.

mopsy3, Sep 8, 1:01am
I think you miss the point. Balljoints, suspension bushes etc are not part of a standard service. They are all to do with mileage and wear, I have yet to meet someone who changes their balljoints every 10,000kms. If you want to nitpick about the cost of parts it is no different than saying the cost of Falcon balljoint is cheaper than a BMW balljoint. That is all in the make, model, year etc of what you choose to buy. A balljoint in my SUV will be cheaper than a balljoint in a Porche Cayenne. What is your point!In day to day running costs, which a standard service, petrol costs etc come into, my petrol SUV costs no more than a petrol sedan.

73040, Sep 8, 1:34am
Thanks guys, we are just going to have a look at few cars today, any tips! Will be seeing couple of ipsums, streams and some estimas. And turners chch. Had a wee look but no Touran in chch available to test drive.

73040, Sep 8, 1:42am
Hey craig: ;is there much of a difference between 240s adn normal ipsums! like 240i!

craig04, Sep 8, 1:56am
No, not really. The 240s is the "sports" version and has adjustable suspension. The 240i does not. But their basic spec is similar.

73040, Sep 8, 1:57am
I'd like to have adjustable suspensions. Is that like adjusties you find in other cars like skylines etc! Ride quality!

craig04, Sep 8, 2:01am
To be honest, I reckon they are more gimicky than anything else. If it was me, I wouldn't base my choice on that. Suspension aside, they are mechanically the same. If you decide to go for an Ipsum, just pick the one in the best condition in your price range.

73040, Sep 8, 2:29am
Oh cool.

http://specs.amayama.com/specs-toyota-estima-2001-april/857/ http://specs.amayama.com/specs-toyota-ipsum-2001-may/721/

funny how Estima 2.4L is 1640kg and Ipsum 2.4L is 1490kg and they both have same engines 2AZ-FE, would that mean Ipsum is going to be way more efficientthan estima!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 3:03am
Be wary of those fuel consumption figures. The Japanese and Toyota in particular are famously screwy with their figures, various media and even government departments have had a go at them over it.

The Japanese test is completely different to what the rest of the world uses and is basically designed to be as flattering as possible, especially toinefficient automatic vehicles.

The test is only half as long time wise as other countries, they spend about 10% of the time de-accelerating or stopped and they only accelerate about half as hard as other countries tests. They only go 10-30% as far as other countries tests and go no where near as fast.

The whole thing is a crock and gives you no useful comparative data and very little idea what to expect economy wise in the real world.

To give you an idea how much they baby the cars, they accelerate soslowly that if they did reach 100km/h it would take them 35 seconds to get there.

In terms of the actual difference it makes, if you take the claimed figures for the Estima vs the claimed figures for the Touran. The Estima would use around 20% more fuel for average mixed driving.

In the real world though the Estima will use over 50% more fuel (actually closer to 60% in my experience but even the conservative 50% is bad enough).

fordcrzy, Sep 8, 5:19am
the adjustable suspension in the ipsum doesnt just adjust the suspension!
THE IPSUM SUSPENSION IS NOT A GIMMICK.
take a 240s for a drive and set it to soft and do a few left/right swerves.then set it to hard and do the same.you will be amazed that a people mover can corner so damn flat and controlled. the sport dial adjusts the yaw control system aswell so you get amazing cornering. i usually have our ipsum set 1 click harder than full soft.
theres not much difference between te models of ipsum but in the 240S you get a black/grey interior and not the chintsey beige of the 240u/i
alsi look fr one that has the factory reverse camera fitted. they are bloody awesome and make parking them a snap in tight spaces

73040, Sep 8, 6:23am
Hey sorry jazz we just bought a car. Guess what one! Brownie points to whoever gets it right. :)

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 6:26am
Do I get points for betting its not a Touran!

73040, Sep 8, 6:30am
My dad has 0 patience, he test drive one and just bought it. We got 5k tradein and the seller was very nice unlike Paul Kelly motor company and few other big names out there. If I was going to buy one I would certainly get vw but it just happened to be none in Chch and will do tradeins. Thanks to everyone for their input.