Toyota Camry or Ford Falcon

Page 2 / 4
pcguitarist, Sep 20, 4:28am
Thanks for the comments guys. After I posted this I had a sit in the 07 camry (basic model).driven similar ones before. But found everything a bit plasticy/boring.It is a nice reliable car, however after being in the xr6, i felt a bit depressed haha. No offense but never really been to keen on the European cars.don't think I ever will. The xr6 is defiantly the leader in my mind now.

pcguitarist, Sep 20, 4:30am
Thanks, I did drive an 03 falcon and wasn't that impressed (features & on-road). I don't want to make assumptions but in my mind is that what a newer Fairmont might be like!

ntalke, Sep 20, 4:36am
Have to remember that a XR6 is just the base model Falcon with a body kit,different headlights,slightly better seats and trim and alloys(18" on turbo/XR8) and thats about it

mdread, Sep 20, 4:39am
i have an 03 ba xr6 - 4speed auto and do mainly open road driving and get about 530km on a tank if that helps in your decision. they are hard to beat for comfortable effortless driving for the money they cost.

bellky, Sep 20, 4:41am
base model is a good car - xr makes it more desirable

gregmran, Sep 20, 4:41am
If your leaning towards the Ford, don't muck around. Get a Fairmont. Far nicer. IMHO.

bellky, Sep 20, 4:47am
bit of an old mans car tho!

richard198, Sep 20, 4:48am
40 litre tank!

bellky, Sep 20, 4:49am
haha, that's a funny one

jason18, Sep 20, 4:49am
FALCON!

grangies, Sep 20, 4:50am
It would be interesting to see how well the solar aircon works.

Do they actually run the refrigeration system, or just the fans!

Great idea. I remember when something like that came out on the Audi A8, but never realised it had been implement into the Skodas too.

The grocery holder in the boot is a good idea too. Especially for likes of Pak n Save items where you get no bags lol.

richard198, Sep 20, 4:54am
I think they look quiet good on the inside! As for the electrics, I think it's safe to say they would be just as good if not better than Audi/Vw managed.

Seriously. how many litres in an XR6 tank!I know it's more than 40!

bellky, Sep 20, 4:55am
i don't actually know but i'd say 68 round abouts

ntalke, Sep 20, 5:05am
Fuel Tank capacity ,68 Litres Sedan 69 Litres Wagon

kwaka5, Sep 20, 5:14am
Not sure how you come up with that. It's got all the xr6 power with all the other nice stuff. About the only noticable difference in appearance is the head lights. Just get one with the 6 speed box. After talking with BA owners that the only thing they wish they had. Much improved in the fuel stakes.

bobwyn, Sep 20, 6:37am
Before settling on either try a Toyota Aurion sportivo I drove one from Melbourne to Adelaide and back it impressed me.

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 6:42am
what was wrong with the current shape Mondeo! The turbo diesel is certainly a better pick than the 2.4 Camry. The current shape Camry is not actually too bad of a car - they picked up in the looks department somewhat compared to the earlier models. I like the BF Falcon but it's merely just a facelift of the BA apart from gaining the 6 speed transmission. To me it feels like an early 2000s car and it shows with the interior styling. When the replacement for the FG comes along the values of BA and BFs are just going to take a hit.

fordcrzy, Sep 20, 6:59am
even the sportivo's 5 speed gearbox is pretty clunky. simply put it has PISSPOOR electronic programming even when used in tiptronic mode it switches gears when you dont want it too.FAIL

tuttyclan, Sep 20, 7:05am
Have you considered a Honda Accord Euro.Much nicer than the Camry IMO,but in saying that I would take the Camry as a close second place.Forget the Falcon,XR6 Fairmont it will be in the workshop being repaired all of the time.
The only reason why Toyotas are considered boring is because the get you from A to B to C with no breaking down boring isn't it!
Seriously check out the Honda they are a great car.

grangies, Sep 20, 7:10am
Why would the wagon be 69 instead of 68!

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 7:14am
In my experience the BA and BF Falcons are very reliable with only small issues here and there. They make for one of the safest 2nd hand cars you can buy. In addition to the Accord Euro have a look at the 2nd gen Mazda6 hatch as alongside the Mondeo they are one of the few mid-sized sedan 5 door liftbacks available for reasonable money.

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 7:15am
Completely different rear suspension setup therefore a different shaped tank mounted differently to the sedan.

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 7:30am
That '07 is still the last of the old pre-facelift shape. I would save $5-10k and buy an 05-06 model which is essentially the same - or spend the same $25k on a new shape Accord Euro.

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 7:38am
again. last of the old shape. You're paying nearly the same price as the next shape when it doesn't have any more features than a 2005-2006 model which would be some $5000 cheaper. A nice example of a Limited hatch though, but given that it's a private sale the price could come down a bit to be more competitive with dealers.

phillip.weston, Sep 20, 7:50am
^^ the reserve on that one should be $15k. A dealer would be selling that for 18-19k tops with no dents and a warranty.