Does anyone know of engine spec!

yes I know slant 225

318 v8

twice tonight I have been told of a v6!

croco1, Nov 20, 10:22am

fryan1962, Nov 20, 10:28am
No mention of v6

thunderbolt, Nov 20, 10:29am
Late model Dodge chargers come with a V6 option, but I dont know of any early valiant V6 engines.

fryan1962, Nov 20, 10:32am
ok ok it has been two different woman lol

franc123, Nov 20, 10:36am
Nope definitely not, at least in the Australian ones, the hemi's were all in line sixes.There was a 170ci version of the sloper sold in the USA that was going to be sold in Oz originally but never made it, clearly this was well before the VH Chargers came out.

franc123, Nov 20, 10:37am
Well that accounts for that then.

ema1, Nov 21, 3:38am
There was also a 198cid version of the Slant 6 also. There was also a 225cid diesel version produced in small numbers.
3 different capacities in all in the Slant's 170cid, 198cid & 225cid which were the most prolific version used world wide including Chrysler Australia.
Actually all of the Slant 6 blocks used world wide for everyone's information were cast in their millions in the USA and were left/stored in sand piles for about a decade or so before they were machined.

ema1, Nov 21, 3:48am
Chrysler Australia production used the 225cid Slant 6, the 273V8 and 318V8 as well as the bigger 340V8 and 360V8 of American origin as well as the Australian only Hemi 6's which came out in 3 capacities 215cid,245cid & 265cid which were of American design and intended for use Chrysler's Dodge truck divisions but got shelved. Those Hemi 6 blocks were cast in the USA also I believe but machined in Australia.

ringo2, Nov 21, 3:58am
Absolutely correct but why oh why do people not just use Google!

ema1, Nov 21, 4:05am
.Back before the 1960's in Australia Chrysler over there used "Poly" Chrysler V8's for various indigenous cars like the Chrysler Royal which also used Chrysler's venerable SV 6 cylinder engines as used in the USA etc in the 1950's and earlier.
Infact Chrysler Australia used various "imported' other parts in their Valiant production lines from the AP5 up to the VF and less so from the VG models( first to use Hemi 6's along with the imported 318V8).
Actually the AP5 Valiants had a high American component level, eg. they used Chrysler Prestolite Alternators the wipers parked on the screen as for LHD cars this was revised in late 1964 to RHD form with wipers operating to suit parking on the left side of screen. They also had LHD to RHD crossover rods on their 3 speed Chrysler built imported manual transmissions early on from 1963 to mid 1964.
Chrysler then used the Australian Borg Warner produced manual boxes which later gained full syncromesh on all 3 speeds.
The genuine TorqueFlite automatics gave way eventually to Australian made Borg Warner units in 6 cylinder cars. All V8's retained the genuine USA TorqueFlite auto boxes, which were one of the best automatic transmissions ever made it's said.
Chrysler Australia history as well as Chrysler International is very interesting when studied in depth.

ema1, Nov 21, 4:17am
Because they are too damn lazy and are prepared to argue the points even with limited knowledge.
I have that knowledge as I "Cut my teeth" on the Chrysler product from way way back.

pdc1, Nov 21, 4:18am
aussie valiants got the hemi 6 at the end of the VF range, however aussie Chargers which started at the VH model were fitted with Hemi 6 and V8 for nz and aussie market. However the slant 6 was still fitted for other markets such as South Africa.
No V6 for aussie built chargers.

ema1, Nov 21, 4:26am
Dead right.Slant 6 engines went on for a long time after the Valiants demise from Australia actually up 'till very recently in South Africa and South America as well as Canada and USA itself.
The successor to the Valiant in the USA/Canada markets actually was the Volare in the Plymouth division and Aspen in the Dodge division replacing the Darts. from around 1975-6 or thereabouts.
VG was officially the first of the Hemi 6 cylinder Valiants tho some very late VF's were so fitted for evaluation purposed before VG release.

cuda.340, Nov 21, 4:32am
i had a 360 VH charger with a BW auto, thought it should have been a 904 but apparently the BW got the nod for the aussie built A body.

ema1, Nov 21, 4:43am
Yep that's correct the Australian content requirements did include the TorqueFlite to be replaced by the Borg Warner units in the V8 models VH and onwards. VG V8's were last to use the TorqueFlites.

ema1, Nov 21, 4:48am
The Plymouth Volare & Dodge Aspens are no longer as their production stopped in the early 1980's

franc123, Nov 21, 4:50am
Yes it was pretty well known that some Hemi 245's were fitted to VF utilities for evaluation purposes.I'm sure that the Slant engine would have done much longer service had it not been for Ford upgrading their 6 cyl engines to 250ci and Holden releasing the 253 V8, and of course those damned local content rules!It was also pretty well known that in the early days Chrysler Oz was going to fit 170ci Slants to the R and S series cars but pulled the pin at the last minute and decided to offer the 225 exclusively to give them a marketing boost.Needless to say it worked!They put the Valiant way ahead of the 179 and 200ci Holden and Falcons they were selling against.In fact at the time of the Valiants release in Australia the current EJ Holden still had the original and largely unmodifed grey engine from 14 years earlier with about 56kw!The 225 produced nearly double that power.Chrysler were also first off the blocks with offering a V8 in the AP6 model, just ahead of Fords release of the 289 in the XR Falcon.

ema1, Nov 21, 4:58am
The Slants were a lovely old engine a reral lugger by nature with the long stroke design but those little 170cid slant 6's were real screamers and could be made to be more so but the 4 main bearing design crank had it's limits though.
Pity they hadn't designed a 7 main bearing Slant 6 perhaps they did but I have no knowledge of it! EFI units are a common conversion in the USA and they are a very efficient engine with that gear on em. They are still available now I believe as there is a massive following in the "States" on the Slant 6's.

ema1, Nov 21, 5:03am
Yep a real sweet 273cidV8 My folks actually had one of the first VC V8's in the country shortly after the VC was introduced, had an AP6 V8 wagon on order but the VC V8 Regal sedan arrived and they had first option on it instead, loved that car .man if only it was still in the family today! I wish, but both my folks have now passed on since.

ema1, Nov 21, 5:09am
Those R & S Valiants were actually RHD versions of the American Valiant's indentical in every way apart from RHD and some beefing of the suspensions.
The Dodge equivilants of the R & S Plymouth/Chrysler Valiants was called Dodge Lancer. The Dart name came in on the compact range of Dodges in 1963 in the USA tho the Dart name was used from the late 1950's to 1962 on intermediate sized Dodges.
Another interesting departure from the American Valiant/Dart models from 1960 to 1967 and the R&S AP5,AP6 & VC Aussie cars was the American ones used 13" wheels and Australia opted for 14" .a wise move I reckon! Same size as the USA intermediates used.

franc123, Nov 21, 5:32am
Chrysler Australia were no doubt mindful of the fact that Ford had basically started assembling a US Falcon in 1960 and had made little changes to it, it was established pretty quickly that the US spec suspension was not up to Aussie outback conditions and parts like balljoints quickly failed on them, it cost Ford a fortune in warranty claims and re engineering in the early 60's.They would have carefully considered what parts got selected for the early Valiants sold in Australia.But at that time Holdens were using 13" wheels!From FE through to HR!

ema1, Nov 21, 5:41am
Yep I remember those early Ford Falcons they weren't overly durable for sure !
The 1964 XM and the 1965 XP Falcons were the "tougher ones" if you like, but the Mustang inspired XR onwards up through the XT,XW to XY were tough Falcons for sure.
They were close in design to their USA cousins too.
A good one of any of the XR-XY Falcons is a worthwhile asset.
I liked the XY models personally, last of the "Good" Falcons in my book.
The 1960's and 70's were good times I reckon .car wise that is and otherways too.

ema1, Nov 22, 4:05am
.Back before the 1960's in Australia Chrysler over there used "Poly" Chrysler V8's for various indigenous cars like the Chrysler Royal which also used Chrysler's venerable SV 6 cylinder engines as used in the USA etc in the 1950's and earlier.
Infact Chrysler Australia used various "imported' other parts in their Valiant production lines from the AP5 up to the VF and less so from the VG models( first to use Hemi 6's along with the imported 318V8).
Actually the AP5 Valiants had a high American component level, eg. they used Chrysler Prestolite Alternators the wipers parked on the screen as for LHD cars this was revised in late 1964 to RHD form with wipers operating to suit parking on the left side of screen. They also had LHD to RHD crossover rods on their 3 speed Chrysler built imported manual transmissions early on from 1963 to mid 1964.
Body pressings were generally similar to the American Plymouth models and Dodge Dart's of the era.
AP5-6 & VC were very close to their USA cousins and the VE of 1968 were almost direct body shell lift off the 1967 Dodge Dart range likewise the VF & VG Valiant 2 door hard tops which actually physically used the longer 111 inch wheelbase Dodge Dart 2 hardtop bodies from the 'A' pillars rearwards, with the Australian VF and later VG front clips "grafted on". The interiors were similar to the American cars too from AP5 right through to the VG models, dashboards were RHD "mirror image" of the American product.
Chrysler then used the Australian Borg Warner produced manual boxes which later gained full syncromesh on all 3 speeds.
The genuine TorqueFlite automatics gave way eventually to Australian made Borg Warner units in 6 cylinder cars. All V8's retained the genuine USA TorqueFlite auto boxes, which were one of the best automatic transmissions ever made it's said.
Chrysler Australia history as well as Chrysler International is very interesting when studied in depth.

ema1, Nov 22, 4:43am
Yep that's correct the Australian content requirements did include the TorqueFlite to be replaced by the Borg Warner units in the V8 models VH and onwards.