New Cars under $20K - options/suggestions!

Page 2 / 5
rovercitroen, Nov 22, 3:09am
FWIW we know someone who bought a new Mitsubishi Colt a few months ago and she loves it. Mitsi have some super sharp deals and 5 to 10 year warranties too.

ringo2, Nov 22, 3:15am
Hyundai and Kia leave Mitsubishi for dead. In Europe there was a 6 months waiting list for the Hyundai ix35 when it came out. BTW the Kia company is 49% owned by Hyundai and they share a lot of components etc. It is a pity that you couldn't afford a little more as the new Hyundai i20 is a great small car at $25k. It is just that bit bigger all round and more up market than the Getz.

db.price, Nov 22, 3:18am
Was wondering about that as they share the same engines especially in the sportage and the Picanto has the same engine as the I10

ringo2, Nov 22, 3:42am
That would be a good buy as the retail is around $24K. And seeing it has been listed since Sept I bet you could get them down at least another $1k for cash.

fordcrzy, Nov 22, 4:45am
+3
dont buy a kia for that sort of money.i would be looking at a ford Fiesta or mazda. they are FAAAAR superior to the Kia and daewoo/holden.
the ford fiesta and mazda 3 have worldwide car of the year awards behind them.the others just make stuff up to make them sound good.

curlcrown, Nov 22, 4:47am
For 20 grand your going to be looking at the bottom end of the market. As others have said you can get a much better near new car for that sort of money.

fordcrzy, Nov 22, 4:47am
hyundai are trading in the "value for money" reputation that the got in the late 90's.now they are just money and much less value

bmwnz, Nov 22, 5:55am
We're a 2 car, 2 person family. Both of our cars are Hyundai. Both have been excellent cars for our purpose. We used to be a 2x Ford family and latterly a 2x BMW family, but Hyundai have surprised us in a very good way.

I realise the monetary 'wrongness' of buying new to people who are money-driven, but to add our perspective - money ain't all that important to us (we work to live) and we just enjoy new things. I don't know the OP's perspective, buy why bag them just because you see things differently! If you want new - buy new. It's your money. Enjoy your life.

stevo2, Nov 22, 8:07am
I agree totally. Ya cant take it with ya. If you have the money, buy what ya want.
Stevo
Cheers Stevo

gman35, Nov 22, 8:22am
That's not what most of the press said about the way too rolly-floaty Hyundai I45 released in the last year. Admittedly I think they probably do the smaller cars better.

a.woodrow, Nov 22, 8:36am
Hyundai have toyota very nervous - but the level they are now is probably where toyota was 10 years ago

tigra, Nov 22, 8:49am
Isnt the Barina just under $20,000!

bmwnz, Nov 22, 9:02am
Are you jazzpianoma in disguise!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 22, 9:37am
No but I am, poster 1 you HAVE to take one of these for a drive and take some time to appreciate how much more car it is for your money. The silly thing is by buying "new" as opposed to 20K of slightly used Polo you are getting a much older design of car.

Power, economy, safety, comfort, equipment is all just so much much better with the Polo. The DSG transmission runs rings around the opposition for starters.

craig04, Nov 22, 9:39am
And you would also be doing your bit to help boost the economy and bring us out of recession.

rob_man, Nov 22, 5:48pm
Before Toyota's decline!

clark20, Nov 22, 5:52pm
Ya kidding! Did you see my post! Short and to the point, now if it was 20 lines long you may have a point (LOL). But he is right on this one, VW are at there top of their game at the moment, and it won Wheels car of the year.

oakie, Nov 22, 6:32pm
You are onto it. Kia is a good choice

db.price, Nov 22, 7:25pm
I like the VWs but my wife not as keen - also can someone confirm what cost are associated with servicing a Euro car!Previously I had heard that they were quite expensive compared to Jap/Korean cars!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 22, 7:38pm
There are a lot of silly anti-european wives tales in NZ that car dealers and the like use to sell their Japanese imports, after two and a half decades of hearing them they have got out of hand.

VW parts are some of the best priced parts in NZ of all makes and models. There is nothing unusual under the bonnet with regard to servicing and service intervals are very long. So no extra service costs at all really.

Plus the VW is going to be about the most economical car in the real worldespecially if you are going for an automatic vehicle so overall running costs will be lower.

VW are poised to be the worlds biggest manufacturer hence their parts being made in volume and their designs being better because they spend significantly more on R & D than anyone else.

You can usually spot people spinning you a baseless yarn because they will refer to "European Cars" and make generalisations as opposed to a year/model/make.

There is one trap you can fall into though, that is if you take it to some place that also sells Ferrari's etc for servicing you may well pay more. But that has nothing to do with the car, its just there are plenty of "premium" places that cost the earth that do Audi/VW servicing.

LOL, just looked and see you are in Tauranga as I was going to suggest somewhere in NZ. To be straight up (I live in Tauranga as well) our VW dealership is terrible with regard to servicing, they don't do a good job and their pricing is poor. The Polo needs only an annual service so I would take it to either "The Garage LTD" in Papamoa or if it needs to be serviced at an agent for warranty reasons then get it done at the VW Place in Hamilton or Qualitat in Auckland when you are visiting there. The servicing is quick and easy on those so not something you need to wait a long time to have done. Also, no reason why you can't do the servicing yourself if you want (unless its a warranty requirement).

thejazzpianoma, Nov 22, 7:58pm
Incidentally, I say the VW will be the most economical in the "real world" because if you compare the fuel economy tests the testing done for European cars is very different to that done for Asian cars.

The Japanese cars don't even get taken up to the open road speed limit in their test and are accelerated at half the rate of the European tests. The result is you find that cars tested under the Europen system are generally more economical in real NZ conditions than their rating and Japanese cars less economical than their rating.

Because the DSG transmission in the VW has no torque converter (which saps around 30% of your economy/power in a little car until it "locks") the VW has a huge advantage in the economy/power stakes. Then of course it has 7 gears as opposed to as few as 4 in some new little automatics which boosts it again and the incredibly clever engine design helps it as well.
Plus it utilises a whole lot of other little clever fuel saving devices like electric power steering (no drag on the engine running a power steering pump).
The result is a very peppy but stupidly economical car that is very safe and still very reliable.

trdbzr, Nov 22, 9:27pm
Avoid listening to Jazz, he is very one eyed and has a habit of running from threads when he has been shown to be full of BS, and this has happened numerous times.

bwg11, Nov 22, 9:36pm
Good link from mapman. Interestingly, while still being quite highly rated, Hyundai and Kai have twice the failure rate of Honda, while VW has 3 times the failure rate of Honda. Try a Jazz.

a.woodrow, Nov 22, 9:46pm
Not so much referring to size of the company, but more the level of build quality. At a training meeting I was a part of that had some higher level toyota staff there, they mentioned that over the next 10 years (this was in late 2009) that they expected their biggest world threat to be
1. Hyundai
2. VW
But toyota plan ahead, I think it'll take a lot to knock them off their perch, despite the troubles they have had over the last three years or so

ringo2, Nov 22, 9:58pm
Seeing that the Kia Picanto was rated as the best I would stick with it. The Honda Jazz has had a lot of expensive transmission problems. "The three best
1 Kia Picanto
(??