1996 toyota cavalier

Page 1 / 2
neville48, Jan 23, 6:13am
is this a toyota or a chevy. does it have toyota running gear and are they in the same league as a toyota corrolla re price,resale and reliability,cheers.

sw20, Jan 23, 6:14am
Walk away from it now.

tuttyclan, Jan 23, 6:15am
Its only badged as a Toyota.
Toyota made the mistake of allowing their badge to be placed on a car that is a lemon.

andrea_w, Jan 23, 6:17am
Wrong. Don't walk away. run!

franc123, Jan 23, 6:17am
This is a windup surely!Have a look at sales on here and tell us if you think it has the same resale as a Corolla, we won't even discuss reliability, ease of repair and parts availability.If you genuinely don't know thats because it isn't a Toyota in anything but badge.

-k13ran-, Jan 23, 6:17am
ive done a little research myself and in a nutshell the toyota cavalier is basically a right hand drive cheverolet cavalier built for japanese markets. GM built the cavalier for toyota but had very few differences.

neville48, Jan 23, 6:21am
Cool . Thanks a lot [he says looking over shoulder whilst running fast]cheers.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 6:22am
Corolla price and resale is nothing to get excited about anyhow, they are about the most overpriced car in the Country and while resale can be good for the very new and the very old there is a point where they drop off quickly and can cost a lot.

There is very little to get excited about with a Corolla at all.

vpholdie, Jan 23, 6:21pm
Run, Run very fast

hamishcookie, Jan 23, 9:40pm
Yup thirsty lemon, it will drink your tequila instead of making it better

intrade, Jan 23, 9:42pm
Run with both legs in your hands .

johnf_456, Jan 23, 9:48pm
Run, but if you get stuck you have a new boat anchor

tgray, Jan 24, 6:49am
Pull up at your local Toyota dealer and walk to the parts department, then watch the grins.smirks!
Let me go out on a limb here and say, if you can buy a facelift model (2000 and newer) and you know that the water pump has already been replaced and there are no warning lights on the dash AND all the windows work (unlikely) and you can buy if for $2000 or less (that's right, a year 2000 model for $2000), I would consider it.
Apart from everything else, the engine and transmissions seem ok.
The problem is, you have to LIVE with everything else.

richms, Jan 24, 6:57am
The cavillier goes quite well when they go, but they are plasticy nastyness and break a lot and cost more than buying another car to fix them. And they are ugly. And people will not want to follow too close behind you since there is a good chance something will fall off it.

curlcrown, Jan 24, 7:13am
How many of them have done over 200000km! They are possibly the worst car in recnet history. They were called colledge cars in the states. You bought a brand new one for your kid when they started colledge and they were f'd by the time they finished.

richard198, Jan 24, 7:31am
Even the main wiring loom runs down the left hand side (B-pillar) in these cars; talk about cheap conversion!
The switch gear is cheap american rubbish, the same you get in Jeeps and other Chryslers and GM heaps.

bigfatmat1, Jan 24, 7:31am
Awesome car buy it you will love it! Such a fine example of motoring this car will be a collectors one day

tgray, Jan 24, 7:56am
Google them. They actually made a convertible!

geedubu, Jan 24, 9:16am
Cheap, relatively crude car but was the biggest selling car in the US in its day.Japanese Toyota dealers and TradeMe motoring thread posters love to hate them.Don't pay much & cross your fingers, it might work out.

solarboy, Jan 24, 10:15am
Is it just me !Trying to get a mental image of this .

rozigurl, Jan 24, 12:31pm
A Toyota Cavalier is exactly that. Japs made a car called a TOYOTA Cavalier BUT, there is also an american version of the Cavalier called a Chevy Cavalier. I used to own the jap one for a while. Loved my Cav, piece of ****to fix as parts were in the worst places and they are all VERY expensive. Too many common problems which turn out to be expensive problems, but not worth the hassle. I got mine at 97km and it only lasted til 130km. Always serviced, looked after, first time car user so not thrashed (didnt know how).

rozigurl, Jan 24, 12:35pm
Also, to get parts they come from all over. Basically its a Japanese, American, Candian car. It is not worth you time and money. Big hassle. They need to stop selling them in nz.

phillip.weston, Jan 24, 12:42pm
Toyota did NOT make the Toyota Cavalier, it was assembled in the very same factory as the Chevrolet Cavalier in the States then shipped to Japan. They were part of a forced trade agreement between the Japanese and American governments. In return GM got some Corollas to rebadge (Geo/Chevrolet Prizm).

phillip.weston, Jan 24, 12:43pm
They were never sold new in NZ, they were only meant for the Japanese market but of course many of them made their way here as used imports. They would have been dirt cheap to buy in Japan, and then passed off to the unsuspecting kiwi car-buyer once landed here.

foxdonut, Jan 24, 12:49pm
I wish we could sticky threads.