Electronic ignition for a Lucas 45D distributor

jcs4, Jan 14, 4:48am
I have a 4cyl petrol motor with a lucas 45d distributor, I want to switch it to electronic ignition. is it worth doing! also whats a good kit. and how much should I expect to pay (doing it myself of course)

saki, Jan 14, 6:02am
goog;e accu spark

joanie32, Jan 14, 6:36am
I have used petronix and had a very good run.

saki, Jan 14, 7:34am
I used lumenitions in my RX 2 from about 1978 and they were OK, I wouldnt worry about a bit of movement in the shaft it wont alter the dwell as in points ignition.

dave653, Jan 27, 12:05am
What would be the difference, economy and performance wise, between a Mallory twin point and the 3.3 electronic dizzy! Will it be worth the swap!

dave653, Jan 27, 7:09am
I bought the twin point in '91. replaced the points in '09! Never had 'issues', and I like to 'keep my eye in'. Idle hands and all that.

smac, Jan 27, 7:29pm
Have run pertronix in Lucas dizzies.all good. Buy from the US direct, heaps cheaper that the local rip offs. I bought two, sold the other on TM and it covered the cost of both.

If you are wanting (slightly) more of a challenge, you could look into converting a Hitachi unit (from Honda etc). Don't know what engine you have but this is common on minis and what I currently run (well I would if the car was on the road!). Takes about 15 minutes once you have found one.

The ultimate is the 123 unit. http://www.123ignition.nl/

There are aussie suppliers now I think, or buy from UK/US.

dave653, Jan 27, 11:32pm
Mmmm, those 123s look nice (read-expensive!) Don't mind the maintainence side of anything, I'm trying to get the 'most' out of my lil old Holden 179, just replaced the headers with my own 6-1s, new Flowmaster style muffler, and have gained quite a bit more. including economy, best of both worlds. Just curious to know if it'll be worth changing to leccy ignition.

gsimpson, Jan 28, 4:39am
I fitted Dizzytek ignition to Landrover (45D4). Complete unit screws in place under the cap in place of points and condenser using original screws. No external box. Has worked well.
~$165 available ex Auckland and Christchurch