Pulsar vs Glanza

steves73, Jan 30, 8:39pm
looking at downgrading my current daily driver for fuel useage reasons gahh

have figured id be happy with one of these. but it comes down to boot space. having not physically looked at either yet. which has the most space, this is with the seats folded down. as i have a s/w

quite like the idea of having Glanza 1300turbo for a bit of ommpph, but then pulsar 1500 with no T belt to change would be fine too. need an Auto as cant drive a manual. i guess both those cars are pretty damn reliable being Toymotor and Nissan

any ohter info would be good too i guess
looking to spend around $4g

doubt id get much for my primera wagon VVL that was 18g in 2004. waste of $$$

r15, Jan 30, 9:01pm
i wouldnt suggest that either of them would offer a significant fuel saving

most japanese manufacturers didnt seem too worried about fuel consumption until around 2003 from what i can tell.

you would be better to look for a echo / vitz / sirion / micra / march or something if you want economy

smac, Jan 30, 9:20pm
Have you done the maths! Just how much do you think you'll save!

I compared a 3l V6 to a 1.8l Astra.on the k's I do the difference was about $400 a year! Not worth changing a car over.

howz_that, Jan 30, 9:29pm
My girlfriends 96 starlet glanza, non turbo manual, gets 13.5km per L with mostly open road driving if thats any help to you.The nissan does have more room tho.

smac, Jan 30, 9:31pm
The biggest drawback of the glanza is that appalling name.right up there with the Emina.WTF Japan.

morrisman1, Jan 30, 9:49pm
Sounds a bit like glandular fever, which would be appropriate because if its like other toyotas you will fall asleep with boredom driving it.

morrisman1, Jan 30, 9:53pm
For $4000 you could pick up a good condition n15 pulsar, the model to look for is the 1600cc manual. They are damn near bulletproof.

_peas, Jan 30, 10:48pm
I'm not sure just how thirsty the Primera is but my GT Caldina was pretty frugal on gas if you drove it nicely. I wouldn't say that you are going to save anything significant in fuel.Personally I would stick with the Primera.Load up a small engined car with gear and watch the fuel bill increase greatly.Sometimes its better the devil you know. you know the service history, what's been done, what might need doing for the past 6 or so years. thats worth something.

kcf, Jan 30, 11:26pm
Glanza is a great little car, 13km/l around town, 15km/l highway.Turning circle is great, easy to drive.However, boot space is non existant unless you have the rear seats folded down.

Pulsar 1500 is a bit gutless, but economical.Not as economical as the Starlet in my experience.Boot space is vastly better.Turning circle on them isn't great though, most three point turns on Wellington streets turn into five point turns in a Pulsar ;-)

The Glanzas are mighty popular so you will get a LOT more Pulsar for you money than you would on the Glanza (unless you snare a real bargain).

Watch for the NZ new Starlet of the same generation (EP91!), they can come out with a much inferior engine (2E in the NZ new, 4EFE in the Japanese import).They are both 1300(ish)cc, but the 2E is a *very* old engine, and not nearly as grunty as the 4EFE.

A cambelt every 100,000km isn't really much of a selling point either way, unless you're doing huge miles.

steves73, Jan 31, 12:07am
looks like pulsar could be the go and they can look prettty smart. i thought they looked my spacious in the rear. seats will be down most time as i have a sports wheelchair that basically lives in it. nothing heavy, so id doubt it will increase fuel consumption

driving the 99 primera sr20ve m6 hyper cvt. it just eats gas for what costs these days.and thats driving like a nana. city driving maybe get 400-450k on tank (thats down to out of gas levels) open road, best ive got is papakura to palmy nth. even my mates older 2l caldina got better fuel economy, as i followed him there to palmy and back.

a Glanza S $70 to fill gets 400-700k+. i can live with that.
id suspect a 1500 pulsar would use slightly a little more.

Going through $100 every 10 days, the savings would add up.
dont need a fast car, im over it and getting older lol plus the LJ torana when done will provide my driving gas guzzling fix if im not to scared to take it out of the shed to dirty it.

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 12:23am
While that Primera shouldn't be great on gas it should certainly be better than what you are seeing.

steves73, Jan 31, 12:24am
its a standard 99primera wagon sr20ve m6 hyper cvt, all the sports trim (looks lowered!) i reckon my wagon is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

$1 res will see what its worth when i get there. lol going by trademe mine has depreciated in a vertical downwards hole to nowhere.

hopefully it cover most of the cost for the replacement around $4G. i expect anywhere from $2500-$4000

steves73, Jan 31, 12:27am
as far as im aware, its been like that since ive owned it

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 12:29am
There is always demand for wagons - if its tidy and hasn't done out of the ordinary mileage I'd say its worth at least the $4k

edit
It could be the type of driving you are doing as much as anything.I certainly doubt you'll see anything close to 700kms off 35l in the Starlet given exactly the same commute.

steves73, Feb 21, 4:48pm
type of driving! driving in city. sit on the lighter side of 2000-3000rpm. dont have a heavy foot. dont floor it at take off/intersections.

if that is the cause, im stumped how else it should be driven. other then leave it in the shed and thatll save gas

as for saving on Glanza. looks like ill never know as ill prob get a Pulsar