Flash Cars in Queen St - 1970s photo-essay

Page 3 / 5
lookoutas, Dec 10, 10:12pm
Great memories to stir up.

rob_man, Dec 10, 10:39pm
That was also the beginning of the car chase movie era, things began to get a bit out of hand for a while there.

cuda.340, Dec 10, 10:48pm
same sh!t still happens today with the "fast n furious" wannabes. i work at Fram Dragstrip for friday nites. after the first FnF movie we saw an influcts of Nos on street cars. many, & i mean more than a few cars, died at the drags when that happened. just like in the movie, Nos on a street motor is a killer, the Nos ate the moly rings so they quickly became smokey cars & the young n dumb just trashed their car harder til POP!
now a Dirty Mary Crazy Larry car chase would've been a bit of me :)

ladatrouble, Dec 10, 11:11pm
Pity he hasn't got some photos of the bikes outside 246 a few years earlier.I might recognise some of those.

roadkillcafe, Dec 10, 11:14pm
it pays to avoid locomotives tho.
yeah i guess with movies there's a plot/reason for chase (often unrealstic (and ALWAYS acted-therefor without ever any actual impending doom/consciousness of actually knowing that you're seconds away from likely horrendous injury/death, etc) but with the newton/ponsonby thing, seeing as it was real and seems to have had x amount of lead-up time, you have to wonder what the inter passenger/s/driver dynamic inside that car would have been (i suppose my interest is more a human than a motoring one, in that sense)i'd love to know-probably never will tho, i guess.(unless someone out there knows).

roadkillcafe, Dec 10, 11:17pm
that'd be wicked-someone will have some, we need to start something along the lines of posting street scenes from back in the day (i would but i'm a bit of a technophobe and also my oldest car/street pics probably mid-late 80's and therefor not quite so cool

rob_man, Dec 10, 11:29pm
I might go back through the box of pics from back then and see if there's anything worth scanning.

roadkillcafe, Dec 10, 11:44pm
do it mate,i reckon it's kinda exciting, takes you away from the days of door open warning buzzers and crap for a moment.

rsr72, Dec 10, 11:51pm
urbanrefugee54 wrote:

<wasn't there a thread about this a year or so ago on here!>

- a very long thread.

roadkillcafe, Dec 10, 11:55pm
p.s people could be excused for wondering why i'd be interested in the human dynamic inside that zephyr and you might just write it off to 'stupid young people not thinking of consequences-(ust like with today's youth who, no question, end their lives in not too dissimilarly dramatic circumstances)', and that would be fair enough comment except that i reckon there would have possibly been more time-while travelling down, along, then up, newton rd-for it to sink in that it was very unlikely to end without calamity, than with many other crashes, plus i reckon young people were smarter and more considered about such things back then, also, without financial credit being handed out willy nilly back then, i reckon you'd have had to have been smarter to organise a10ish year old zephyr (plus a repowered one at that) than your average ballball cap getting his hands on a skyline today.

roadkillcafe, Dec 10, 11:57pm
does anyone recall any details surfacing re what was going on in the minds of the cars occupants!i suppose it may well never be known-unless the survivor could remember.

fryan1962, Dec 11, 8:00am
Very cool pics yes I was there queen street fri night then to get paper down near the white lady when it came out at midnight

tractor9, Dec 11, 8:25am
In those days, an angle grinder, a bit of welding (probably dodgy), a bigger engine, a dozen beers and a few mates could build a Saturday night special for Queen Street cruises. No worries. Hence the Zephyr, hence certification for modifications these days. The good old days weren't always good, but at least most of us learned to drive and handle our cars properly. Hope I haven't opened a can of worms with this post, it's only my opinion !

lookoutas, Dec 11, 8:31am
Probably pissed, stoned, or both.
And it was on here around Sept 09.

roadkillcafe, Dec 11, 8:50am
hmmmm.surely it was excessive speed and not dodgey welding or similar that caused said crash.there may be certification now but there are still high speed crashes and people dying in them.

lookoutas, Dec 11, 8:53am
Are you an Undertaker!

roadkillcafe, Dec 11, 9:02am
no. why!

tractor9, Dec 11, 5:49pm
It was excessive speed.

roadkillcafe, Dec 11, 7:18pm
yep, you tend to get quite bad understeer when your front wheels are in the air.

vem, Dec 11, 11:08pm
Give it a rest ok. you needn't keep asking the same question over and over.

roadkillcafe, Dec 11, 11:55pm
who made you the m/b police! i'll decide what i ask and how frequently. go away.

bob1088, Dec 12, 12:32am
are you thinking ofThe Crypt later being called Keeleys!

bob1088, Dec 12, 12:37am
BTW - knew the undertaker who attended that horrific crash (was opposite) and his opinion was that excessive speed caused it.

roadkillcafe, Dec 12, 12:56am
bob1088 wrote:
BTW - knew the undertaker who attended that horrific crash (was opposite) and his opinion was that excessive speed caused it.[/quote

yep it isnt rocket science whereby you arrive at the conclusion that the reason a car took flight over the crest of a hill was that it was travelling excessively fast-poor welding wouldn't have caused it.did he ever say anything that explains the circumstances leading up to such hardout driving!

callum.irvine, Dec 12, 1:03am
Maybe not so much the driver of the 61 impala lol