Flash Cars in Queen St - 1970s photo-essay

Page 4 / 5
sifty, Dec 12, 1:18am
where and how do YOU cruise to be called a pedo.!

sifty, Dec 12, 1:20am
and drank proper beer from quart bottles, no poofy, sugary premixes in lady bottles in them days.

callum.irvine, Dec 12, 1:23am
No seatbelts in sight either, and some good overloading of the back seat :P

rob_man, Dec 12, 3:12am
As well as disgusting stuff like Blackberry Nip. Purple vomit anyone!

lookoutas, Dec 12, 4:27am
Couldn't even stand the smell or sight of that crap, let alone the regurgitated version.

bongo11, Dec 12, 5:36am
dear god - I just had a flashback. blerk.
In my defense I was only 15-years-old. lol.

magoo2, Dec 12, 7:34am
I wasnt in Auckland,but used to hang around manners st/pigeon park in Wellington on the weekends in the late70s early 80s. Similar people,similar cars

stylequeen4u, Dec 12, 8:01am

ceedoubleyou, Dec 12, 10:00am
It's difinitely a MGB, can't miss that front. Trying to make out the cars parked, Hillman Hunter with lights on and a Beetle.

aja15, Dec 13, 12:32am
+

Your a sicko Roadie, it was a 351 Ford alright and a hell of a mess, engine clear of the wreck.

roadkillcafe, Dec 13, 4:46am
"a sicko"!do you seriously think that!

tractor9, Dec 13, 5:13am
yep it isnt rocket science whereby you arrive at the conclusion that the reason a car took flight over the crest of a hill was that it was travelling excessively fast-poor welding wouldn't have caused it.did he ever say anything that explains the circumstances leading up to such hardout driving![/quote]
No one said poor welding caused the accident. Kids today drive "hard out"to coin your phrase.They always have and probably always will.Drive around at night and see for yourself.

fordkiwi27, Dec 13, 5:19am
those pics are way way cool. make a calender,il buy one

ljs, Dec 13, 5:32am
Doubt it was the speed but can bet you it was the sudden stop that done the damage.

trogedon, Dec 13, 5:36am
We'll never know why the people in the Zeph did what they did. Probably they did it for similar reasons that car loads of boyracers speed and do other stupid/dangerous things on the roads today. Ask a car load of BRs today.

ebygum1, Dec 13, 5:56am
Thats an MGB I don't know of another car with headlights like that.

trogedon, Dec 13, 6:02am
It's an MGB alright (or BGT) - looks like a recessed grill model so '70 or '71 (almost new car then).

roadkillcafe, Dec 13, 6:56am
i'm just not convinced that your average 'boyracer' today is as smart as their counterparts from 30 years ago.(hence my interest in the reason behind it/dynamic in the car).i.e i wouldn't bother asking a carload of them these days as i'd just expect the response to be a bunch of moronic giggling and bad attitude (witness motorway patrol/police ten 7 et al).

chris.f, Dec 13, 9:12am
Don't know if anyone has previously posted this, but anyone interested in the Queen St of the 1980's needs to check this out. Report back if it rekindles any long forgotten memories!
http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/queen-street-1980

shorty11, Dec 13, 10:46am
this queen street thing has been on here before.and on nz hot rod forums.and themovie queen street .was done at same era.the 46 ford pick up in movie was mine.i was a old queen st hoon.still know and see a lot of those old faces in pics.and some of us still into cars.hot rods,drag racing.those were the good days tho.

pollymay, Dec 13, 1:50pm
Wonder what people will say in 30 years about some of the cars about the place now, skylines, MR2s, RX7s,.1982 corollas

aja15, Dec 14, 12:16am
Yeah this stuff comes back to haunt you. Around 15 min into Queen St vid I think you see Shorty strolling by in a cardigan! I??

drog, Dec 14, 12:42am
Yep. I know someone who was involved in draughting the legislation when it all creaked into life. That Zephyr crash was the one that got the ball rolling.

nave12, Dec 14, 5:25am
Its not early queen st pics here but a few pics of the earlier model falcon and consul being assembled in aussie.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php!t=11349849

goose13, Dec 14, 6:38am
thanks for that.great pics.