On road costs Yes or no!

Page 1 / 3
kazbanz, Dec 9, 9:02pm
Hey folks I'd like to ask your opinion.
When car dealers advertise on Trade me should the price you seeALWAYSbe inclusive of any on road costs!
By that I mean that if you stroll into the dealership do you reasonably expect to own the car and drive it away for the price on trade me or on the window!
Forgetting negotiation for a minutejust assuming you are paying window price of its a pretty sharp price already.
If not then where would you expect the on road costs to be in the trade me listing and should they be an exact amount!

Just to be clear I DON'T charge ORC but theres a debate going on this subject

saffa2, Dec 9, 9:04pm
If I'm paying window price I would expect to be able to hop in and drive away.I would not even consider paying on road costs.

gammelvind, Dec 9, 9:06pm
+1
Next thing they will be saying "plus GST".

thejazzpianoma, Dec 9, 9:26pm
I would like to know how on road costs could equal $1500. (Saw that the other day).
Been a while since I registered a car for the first time in NZ but seems excessive to me. This was on a brand new car BTW.

twink19, Dec 9, 9:31pm
should be in the price, not + + + for all sorts of things.our new car ORC were $700

crzyhrse, Dec 9, 10:50pm
It's not like many people would want the vehicle unregistered. So it should be included - it's not like they're an unknown.

neo_psy, Dec 9, 11:21pm
Bingo - I think it should be included in the sticker price. Drive away for that price (unless you want towbar etc).
That's the way it *should* be done, IMHO. It's misleading at best to have it as an add-on.

bill-robinson, Dec 10, 12:17am
+1
Bill

corky, Dec 10, 12:33am
ORC inclusive for me.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 12:46am
Thats easy mate- they are asking the customer to pay ALL the costs involved in putting the car on the road. -compliance,oils rego etc.
How they justify It I can't fathom

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 1:05am
Exactly, while only a few might buy a car for off road use with regards to the likes of oil I would say even fewer would buy a new car as an ornament.

tigertim20, Dec 10, 3:58am
Kaz.
For me, when I go to a dealer to buy a vehicle, Im going to buy a vehicle I can drive on the road. I expect the price to be the price for a road going car. There should be NO additional costs whatsoever.

The only exception for me, would be if the dealer was selling a race car/ race bike, with the OPTION of having it road legal as well.

mrfxit, Dec 10, 4:42am
In a nut shell . YEP totally agree
There should be only 3 times ORC could apply .

At auction (WYSIWYG)
Direct import to a wholesale yard (business/ bulk purchases could be for road or wrecking)
Import of road going race car/bike version that are likely to be used for either road or race

(covers ALL types of vehicles)(bikes/ cars/ trucks etc)
GST has to be paid regardless of being able to claim it back or not, so no real reason for not including that in the sticker/window price (including letterbox pamphlets)

rsr72, Dec 10, 4:49am
It's simply a dealer rort, no more, no less.

sw20, Dec 10, 4:51am
Sounds like a certain dealer on moorhouse ave that used to promote that they only sell sporty manual cars, now they turn anything to make a buck. Still everything is +ORC even NZ new cars!

mrfxit, Dec 10, 4:51am
In reality, noting & creating ORC's as an addon, is just a lazy way to lower the advertised price.
Same for Gst

kazbanz, Dec 10, 4:57am
Um my opinion is that its a way for your car to look cheaper than the same car advertised by a dealer being honest.By the time customers have realised its too late (for most) to pull out of any deal
To me it amounts to fraud

mrfxit, Dec 10, 5:18am
Yep same thoughts, different words

bowla3, Dec 10, 6:19am
Takes me back about 60 years. Chap I worked with had a 1939 Ford V8 in immaculate condition with not very many miles on the clock.
Standard Vanguards were available at this time and he thought he would buy one. Dealer offered him a satisfactory trade in price. When the Vanguard was ready he went into the dealers in Albert Street in Auckland to get his new car.
Conversation went something like this.
Dealer, "Now that will be x amount of pounds & shillings Mr B"
Buyer, "Hang on, we agreed on a price of XXX, now you're askig for about 30 pounds more"
Dealer, "Oh, that extra is to register the new car"
Buyer, "Listen mate, my trade in's registered and I expect your car to be the same"
A few minutes later and my mate was driving away in his old Ford. Meaning the dealer missed out on resale of a Ford that would have reaped him some big bikkies.

toyboy3, Dec 10, 6:55am
Arethe cars petrol tank fullas that is an on road cost !

neo_psy, Dec 10, 10:31am
I've always liked dealers that say "price is X - WOF, Reg, full tank of gas, drive away"

The only brand new car I've bought myself (other than lease cars) had a full tank of go juice when I picked it up.

kramsnave, Dec 10, 11:10am
i would walk away from the yard if sprung with on road costs, rude!

noall1, Dec 10, 7:40pm
I have just looked a two major car companies selling new vehicles here in the Manawatu and they have both got +ORC extra to their selling price. I have also seen this when new vehicles are advertised on TV. Must be done that way so that the price of a vehicle looks cheaper.

ringo2, Dec 10, 7:47pm
I think that all major dealers quote plus ORC for new vehicles but in most case you can negotiate them down. Probably just gives the dealers a bit of wriggle room! Would like to hear an answer with the reasons from a major new vehicle dealer.

casper35, Dec 10, 8:04pm
I have walked away from a sale when i found out i had to add x amount of dollars for orc.