On road costs Yes or no!

Page 2 / 3
kazbanz, Dec 10, 8:29pm
Hey mr fixit can you tell me why you feel that a vehicle bought by auction should be different from any other means of purchase -regarding on road costs.!Im refering to public purchases
Not having a go here I just can't see why ORC isn't always included

amberjandal, Dec 10, 8:31pm
If the price of the car plus the on road costs was competitive against vehicles already registered I would have no problems. Cant see the fuss really !

mrfxit, Dec 11, 4:14am
Specifically (but mostly) LIVE auctions where real ppl get to see the real vehicle ( WYSIWYG ) "what you see is what you get" . SEE is the operative word. (did you notice the out of date rego>>>>)
Not as much the "should" but "could" be unless stated otherwise .
Eg: vehicle is being sold without a rego/ wof/needs re-vinning/ needs certing for mods, etc etc

Vehicles brought through such places as Turners, are sometimes brought for returning to the road & sometimes for wrecking/ parts

kazbanz, Dec 11, 4:18am
-Alhh I get the DVAlive auction fairynuff

mrfxit, Dec 11, 4:37am
& the other types of auctions.
Not unusual for a wreckers yard to put his OWN car in the yard for parts even tho it's running fine /wof /reg /tidy.
Worth more as parts in a lot ofcases.
Seen it happen after live auctions.
1 of my old boss's did it/ heard of a few others.

mrfxit, Dec 11, 4:43am
BUT yea na. from a public yard/ sale brochure where the vehicle is EXPECTED to be fit for the road . MUST include ORC's in the window sticker sheet (whatever).
Oddly enough, it's back to ( WYSIWYG ) again.
The environment situation dictates the inclusion or not of ORC,(as far as I am concerned) & by many others, it appears.

All bets are off when you start negotiating on the window price.

stevo2, Dec 11, 5:11am
Yep they'll get a few but only once. I bet those punters dont return if they feel they have been shafted.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 6:53am
So I guess the crux of the question--Do YOU think TM did the right thing when they origonally said that ALL cars for sale MUST be inclusive of all on road costs!

--They then backed down when a bunch of south island dealers complained

mrfxit, Dec 11, 7:06am
Yes .
But money talks

stealthbida, Dec 11, 7:40am
Can someone tell me how much it is for a pair of new standard issue rego plates! this is to do with ORC's,cheers

kazbanz, Dec 11, 7:51am
sorry its not that simple.
To JUST buy replacement plates is about $14.00
But to rego a car for the FIRST time (or getting a dormant car/derego car back on the road(costs different amounts $245,$295 and $345 (sorry the numbers might be a tiny bit off) depending on the engine size. This price is charged by the government - it is is fixed and includes the plates
after that its the normal price.

stealthbida, Dec 11, 7:59am
Cheers kaz, so ORC of 3hundy ain't too bad then : )

kazbanz, Dec 15, 8:53am
So to bring an old thread back up.
Those who havent commented--do ya feel ORC should always be included in the TM advertised price or isn't it an issue!

clark20, Dec 15, 10:26am
I believe it should be included, next they will charge the customer the trademe fee for selling!

jcwholesale, Dec 15, 11:34am
A car is a car is a car, price on the the road should be part of the sale price. No question, a bit like the oil leak, ah kaz. *S*

paddy2, Dec 15, 5:13pm
I'da thought the dealer could not allow the vehicle out of the yard if he'd not paid its on road costs - otherwise, he's selling a vehicle not fit for purpose in that it can't be legally used in that state blah blah blah. If those costs are part of getting a product sold it should be included in the big sticker price. Not as an extra, because its an essential, not an extra.

rovercitroen, Dec 15, 5:18pm
Should be included in my view.

treachug, Dec 15, 6:30pm
When buying a car from a yard that has plus ORC, can the buyer stipulate how many months rego they would like to put on the car or is there a set period, eg 12 months!

hutchk, Dec 15, 6:31pm
If it's not optional, it should be included in the advertised price.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 7:01pm
Ok -for a car with current rego (ie it has plates) then in fact one DAY could be deemed acceptable. Ie it is fit for the purpose intended at the time. The norm Is 3 months
With cars with NO plates thenthere are only two options 6 and 12 months. The dealer usually registers the vehicle for 6 months.
I usually offer customers the option to pay a bit more and have 12 months if they want it for about $130 extra. (roughly thats what 6 months rego on a car costs)

mrfxit, Dec 15, 8:19pm
Just guessing a bit but I would suspect that 98% of cars brought via a public car sales yard would be purchased for legal ON ROAD reasons.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
>>>> THAT in it's self would make ORC a compulsory part of the vehicle being "fit for public usage on public roads" & couldn't be considered an "optional extra" to be added later to the sticker/window /publiclyadvertised price.

Public sales for public consumption that exclude ORC is simply a marketing scam that confuses most domestic ppl because they don't deal with that sort of thing on a regular basis.

The yards could easily advertise in a similarway to the likes of PBTech where they advertise in large letters "the price less gst" & directly below in smaller letters (NOT tiny letters), is the Gst inclusive price.

Like I said above, the yards HAVE TO do the calculations anyway, so why not include them for 'Joe Bloggs" to see UP FRONT

amberjandal, Dec 15, 8:34pm
There is no legal obligation to include ORC on imports or new cars , it is just the way the world goes around.

If I could buy a car for $10000+ ORC vs a car for $11500 on the road I know which one I would buy.

crzyhrse, Dec 15, 9:25pm
That depends on the class.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 9:31pm
And indeed you would be mad not to with those figures. That is NOT though the senario or type of senario I refer to
A more likely senario is two cars aparently identicaland aparently the same price.
Turn up at one dealership and when you are down to the nitty gritty of buyingon the paperwork apears $300/$450 or $600 on road costs on top of the price you thought you were paying.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 9:33pm
Yea but an average car is gonna be either a bit less or a bit more than $300