Rod through the block. soon after winger service.!

Page 1 / 4
sweety666, Jan 29, 2:00am
our car had just done its 100000km so it had its service and cam belt change at winger subaru (its a 2004 impreza)

its done less than 1000 km and last night it put a rod through the block. argh

do you think we should take it back to winger! maybe they did something wrong ! or do they have any gaurantee on their service work! you wouldnt think a car would blow up that soon after a service.

i dont know how else this would have happened! any ideas people.

p.s. it was being driven in that storm last night so the engine got pretty wet going through all the surface water. but that wouldnt make it blow up aye! silly question most likley.

phillip.weston, Jan 29, 2:01am
did you go through a large puddle! my guess is the engine ingested water through the air intake and hydro-locked.

ct9a, Jan 29, 2:01am
sounds like the engine could have swallowed some water ,water does not compress

phillip.weston, Jan 29, 2:02am

sweety666, Jan 29, 2:02am
but are engines not designed to handle some water! seem a bit crazy that it would blow up after getting wet! roads get wet. cars get wet. lol

sweety666, Jan 29, 2:04am
great link probably explains it. gutted thanks heaps guys :)

ola_bitchola1, Jan 29, 2:05am
more to the question how were you driving when it threw a leg out of bed

phillip.weston, Jan 29, 2:07am
yes cars and engines handle getting wet on the ouside, but if you drove through a big enough puddle (like 10-20cm deep), enough to splash even 100ml of water up into the air intake hose it's enough to do serious damage.

sweety666, Jan 29, 2:07am
driving slowly because of the surface water. was pretty crazy conditions.

yeh kazbanz i get it now but just seems unusual. not every car blows up in the rain lol :)

rkauto, Jan 29, 2:13am
if it sucked up a guts full of water you should be able to claim insurance on it.

bigracket, Jan 29, 2:15am
I disagree, I understand what they are talking about in terms of hydrolicing, but really if it was your car ! would you just think oh must of been the puddle I drove through - silly me!take it back and dump it on there door step and say please explain!

sweety666, Jan 29, 2:25am
thanks rkauto it is fully insured im pretty sure but not for mechanical. will have to ring them and talk on tuesday.

yeh bigracket thats what i was thinking , a car blowing up like that is pretty extreme. i mean the weather was extreme but when are we told dont drive in the rain you car could blow up. ive heard of breaks failing because of water, but not engines lol

id say it did hydrolock but hope insurance will pay out. to bad for us if they dont. an expencive day of education :)

clark20, Jan 29, 2:30am
Does it have an aftermarket intake or pod!

sweety666, Jan 29, 2:33am
no its all factory, its only ever been serviced by winger and its owned and driven by a cop so not in a boy racer manner or anything like that.

thats kind of the anoying bit, its been so well looked after :(

mechnificent, Jan 29, 2:50am
If it happened ten kilometers after a service, sure they MAY have done something, but after a thousand kilometers it's hardly likely to have been anything they were negligent about.

Best thing you can do is to take it to an indendent workshop and ask them to strip it with an eye to figuring out what went wrong. If they can attribute the damage to negligence then you get them to leave it exactly as it is, don't clean it or anything, and you contact winger and tell them what has happened and what has been found.
If you contact wingers first they will tell you to bring it in and then they will be the only people that know what really went wrong.
They are in business to make money. You don't make money by admitting fault when you can deny it and make more money instead repairing things.

rob_man, Jan 29, 4:01am
You can claim mechanical damage on your insurance if it was caused by flooding. I've seen it done when a car got a lungful fording a flooded stream during a big storm on the Coromandel, the insurance co paid to transport the car back to Auckland and shelled out for the engine to be stripped and repaired. I think it had a bent rod from hydraulicking.

mechnificent, Jan 29, 4:05am
Ha, bet then never mentioned fording the stream but!

icemans1, Jan 29, 4:44am
subaru = crap. why is it so hard for people to comprehend!

mechnificent, Jan 29, 4:45am
I've had six and they have all been brilliant.

bigracket, Jan 29, 5:18am
No, not saying that at all, but hey give them a chance to look at it and find out actually what happened, and to give a reasonable explanation. If the mechanic is in no way responsible (as prob is the case) thats fine. but I would be wanting a good explanation I guess.

mike107, Jan 29, 6:37am
Hydrolock, I learned something NEW today!

smac, Jan 29, 6:55am
How is enough water to cause this from a puddle getting through the air filter.! Maybe check they installed one.

rz_zone, Jan 29, 7:01am
Well, Toyota have shares in Subaru now.
So Subaru's isn't that bad. :)

horsygirl, Jan 29, 7:03am
Jap import was it.probhably done 250k and had speedo fiddled.

chris241, Jan 29, 7:07am
its not there problem they didnt drive it thru the water. They have done there job i do not see how you can put any blame on the garage