Rod through the block. soon after winger service.!

Page 2 / 4
extrayda, Jan 29, 7:25am
I can't think of much a garage could do wrong to make a rod go through the block (not for a service at least).Even if they left no oil in it I would expect it to simply seize (and more quickly than 1000 k's).If it was a rebuilt engine, then that would be a different story. If it did hydrolok, then you would expect to find water in the other cylinders wouldn't you ! Or even in the intake system somewhere!

extrayda, Jan 29, 7:30am
Not knowing Subaru engines, but if the cam belt failed, are they an interference engine (would all the valves smack the pistons)! *Could* that cause a broken rod!I've mainly heard of cars trashing heads due to that, not rods, but maybe a flat four is different!

johnf_456, Jan 29, 7:46am
haha, yip especially considering its down 1000km ish since the service.

sweety666, Jan 29, 8:32am
well ill try the insurance i think thats best bet seem as it was flood related. see what happens.

i didnt know water could do that. that is why i thought it may have been that they did the timing belt wrong or something to cause this. not blaming them i guess just wanted an easy out hehe.

thanks all for your help.

fingers crossed for insurance

sweety666, Jan 29, 8:33am
thought maybe timing was out! dont know lol im no expert :)

pollymay, Jan 29, 9:02am
Subarus do that cause they are crap motors. I doubt it hydrolocked cause that takes some serious effort usually especially when the throttle plate is mostly closed ie just cruising.

It could of fatigued the rods if the timing was out, check it.

johnf_456, Jan 29, 9:10am
Bollocks, the reality is any motor can throw a rod through the block.

mechnificent, Jan 29, 9:14am
And the timing won't be out!

Valves hitting just bend valves or damage pistons.

Running out of oil pressure seizes the rods before they break but more commonly they just run a bearing and make a hell noise.

They should be able to figure what went wrong when they strip it.

robbo36, Jan 29, 9:18am
"Just wanted an easy out"! "Not blaming them"!
Very easy to back out of your post now isn't it,after naming a business and accusing them! Good one slagging off a business on a message board! Why not tell us what really happened! How do we know your car hasn't had the arse thrashed off it in those 1000kms since the belt change! We have only got your word on that.
How about giving Wingers an opportunity to at least defend themselves. Take your car back to them with an independent mechanic you trust and let them pull the engine down together to diagnose what failed and why. I am just saying be careful about what you post about who on this message board.

pollymay, Jan 29, 9:24am
I've thrown rods out of almost every engine known to man, subarus just happen to be good at it. Not always the motors fault, lots of YO BOIS up the boost on the turbos and disintegrate pistons which leads to a nice bang

franc123, Jan 29, 9:24am
The reality is that its far more likely to if its a Subaru! Especially when the km's get into six figures.On other 4 cyl Jap motors, rod or big end failure is almost completely unheard of.

johnf_456, Jan 29, 10:12am
If you perhaps read my original comment I never compared any other engine other than a generalized comment. So please state why you think Im comparing other Jap motors. While other cars may not through rods, they sure do have other massive issues.

So please state in my original comment what "other car specifically" I am comparing. I look forward to your reply.

johnf_456, Jan 29, 10:15am
Yip not modding them properly doesn't help and yip subaru's are a bit more fussy. Currently fixing an old toyota here at the moment, from a mates Toyota. I am not completely defending subaru just saying they are not the only car out there to have major problems. All cars have good and bad points to spell it out. Then others have a trouble free run on bad cars so yeah.

rotormotor7, Jan 29, 10:16am
"any". you sure!

hint::my username.

johnf_456, Jan 29, 10:17am
Haha rotary mm say no more.

extrayda, Jan 29, 10:22am
haha rotormotor ;-)
Only rotaries with hot cams have issues with the rods.

morrisman1, Jan 29, 10:24am
of course, nissan made them. Its called the a-series

rotormotor7, Jan 29, 10:25am
yeah timing belts break often too with wankels, i usually fit stainless exhaust valves on all my rebuilds also

johnf_456, Jan 29, 10:25am
I reckon I could break it

bigjerry, Jan 29, 10:28am
How the hell do you drive mate! 7500 rpm at all times. Either that or you have some seriously bad luck.

johnf_456, Jan 29, 10:29am
Maybe the clutch is non existent

morrisman1, Jan 29, 10:31am
you could try. We had a a12 with a15 head in an offroader. 10,000rpm was the time to change gear, then it started to valve bounce.

extrayda, Jan 29, 10:32am
With a good set of roller rockers and pushrods a rotary is almost unbreakable.

morrisman1, Jan 29, 10:33am
keep the cooling system in good nick or the head gasket will blow.

extrayda, Jan 29, 10:35am
3k Toyota engines are also quite hard to kill.I had one with a decent cam, weber carb and extractors with I used to absolutely thrash (off the end of the 7500rpm tacho).I did have to do the headgasket twice (in reality due to a rubbish radiator), but that was about it.Easy job too with no fancy OHC to worry about.I still think that while they are not as efficient, old simple motors are much cheaper and easier to maintain.