What might be the problem ! - Toyota Carib

road.runner, Feb 7, 6:27am
Automatic 96 Toyota Sprinter Carib,This is whats happening :
My driveway is a slight slope down to the road. I reverse out onto the road,brake, put car into Drive. When I put pressure on the accelerator, nothing is happening, the car creeps along slowly til I push my foot down harder on the accelerator to get going.When reversing out of car parks anywhere else, car is perfectly fine and instantly responsive when changed from reverse into Drive. Only seems to be unresponsive first thing in the morning. Is the accelerator sticking or something ! Its completely fine the rest of the time !

40wav, Feb 7, 6:31am
It could be because the gearbox is cold or the oil has settled and is just getting moved around again!

franc123, Feb 7, 9:03am
check that the oil level is fine first,after a drive of a few kms to warm it up, park it on a level surface, run it through all the gears in turn and return it to P.Pull out the stick and see where the level is, it should be between the low and high marks, or in the hashed area on the stick if it has that instead.If the level is on the low side top it up slowly, say half a cup full at a time with ATF until its nearly at the top mark,See what difference that makes.If it selects reverse instantly when its dead cold it is starting to point to a front clutch in the transmission wearing out, or seals/o rings in the hydraulic circuit that controls it wearing out/shrinking.Using a fluid additive could help it along for a while.

the_chooky, Feb 7, 9:12am
Ha easy. Back into your driveway so you can go out forwards in the morning.

mellisa2000, Feb 7, 9:46am
Try having a proper trans service. Full flush incl. torque converter. May take up to 12 or more litres to fully flush.

mechnificent, Feb 7, 8:40pm
Sounds like something in the hydraulics is leaking all the oil out overnight, then it takes time to fill it before the pressure comes on. It could be a worn seal or a loose valve body in my experiance.
If it was a worn clutch then the delay would always be there whether it was the first in the morning or later in the day.

intrade, Mar 24, 4:14pm
i would check the auto trans fluid is not low you mesure that with engine running and should be nice dark red colour. assumed it is a automatic
mesured on flat surface not hills.