Road toll lowest in 60 years

Page 7 / 7
flitt, Dec 28, 6:45am
yeah, i finished with tony up there in #132

lookoutas, Dec 30, 6:21am
Can't drive - is the problem.

Saw a doco on TV yesterday where they even want to ban hands-free phones in the US. Studies with people wired up, showed that 37% of required brain ergs were occupied whilst talking hands-free. They were also looking sideways at operating a GPS.

Therefore, I wonder what the results would be due to forcing a driver to check their speedo every 15 or so seconds, and making constant adjustments!
I have never been fortunate enough to own a car with cruise control, but had the opportunity to drive one home from Auckland a few weeks back and was amazed at the relief I felt due to the decrease in speedo attention.

The cops are forcing an unnecessary strain on our driving concentration, and although I hate to see people losing their lives, I cynically enjoy saying "See - it didn't work"

Revert back to first para.

aragorn2003, Dec 30, 6:28am
post no. 138 . LOL!

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 30, 6:30am
Apparently not! If you can't drive but don't speed you're a 'good driver'. I can't fathom how that possibly works but I read something to that effect on a messageboard so it must be true!

lookoutas, Dec 30, 8:00pm
^^ Have a Tui

iginoi, Dec 30, 8:42pm
+1 mate. I feel that if you don't know the road, then learn it or get familiar with it. Me, I OWN the Desert Road and have drifted my Lux through the first and last sister many a time. The second sister used to be an ideal overtaking spot before it was smoothed out, while both my forward controls and boot heels are gouged out from cornering lol. Licence/medical/driving fitness re-testing should be carried out at a younger age and more often. Too many times I've had to do over 140 to get past an oldie who doesn't know the road and jumps on the picks for nothing.

wrong2, Dec 30, 8:43pm
lol, what a load of rubbish

wrong2, Dec 30, 8:46pm
how can you end up being so deluded

im sure if we only drove around at walking speed there would be minimal accidents. but crashing at the speed limit is almost impossible when you have open eyeballs & a working brain

the only way i see it happening is if you have a medical condition, or mechanical failure

because its too slow to lose control or "get surprised"

so we are left with having to blame the SHOCKING driving ability of those who manage it

elect70, Dec 30, 9:38pm
Noticed Brit cops other night targetingtruckers , manyon theirmobiles, 1 was even drinking beer . They said the majority of accidents were caused primarilybyinattention ,but thetop brasswont say that .

flitt, Dec 30, 11:24pm
What is this!

flitt, Dec 30, 11:33pm
Ok, so I'm sorry to harp on, but look at this:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm!c_id=1&objectid=10776024

QUOTE: 'Two vehicles were travelling down Old Renwick Road heading towards Renwick when one of the vehicles lost control, crossed the centre line and collided with a power pole, police said.'

QUOTE: 'Speed had been a major factor in the "avoidable" crash.'

Would we say speed or driving ability! Of course. it's both. But I am pretty certain the offending driver thought they were a pretty blardy good driver. But, they weren't. They were crap, because they made a whole string of stupid mistakes.

Has that same offending driver been driving around sucessfully for the past month and not hitting every vehicle he /she passed! Yes. It was the combo with speed that killed at least 2 people today.

So, again. It's not the total cause. It is just a deadly ingredient. That's all I'm saying. Agree!

hyphen, Dec 30, 11:39pm
wrong2 wrote:
but crashing at the speed limit is almost impossible when you have open eyeballs & a working brain

ha ha ha so why is it so prevalent then, hmmmmm
maybe because partially evolved primates shouldn't be allowed to control something as dangerous as a motor vehicle, aye

wrong2, Dec 31, 12:09am
well if you dont move at all, you cant ever hit anything

why people lost control at whatever speed they travel at should be your, & the cops focus

instead they try saying faster-than-100 is dangerous in all situations, & untill very recently have ignored what most independant researchers have tried saying

you come across as a PR-washed muppet sorry

flitt, Dec 31, 12:41am
Look, we are talking about high speed crashes - the ones that kill people. The cops are focused on it - that's the reduce high speed thing 4km/h tolerance. Nobody is saying 100+ is dangerous in all situations. It's just a sweeping clause to get everybody to slow down. It's so simple.

Well, obviously made too complicated with some like you I suppose who think it's a PR whitewash for extra revenue. I really don't give a s4it how I come across.

Do you really think I have no point at all! Are you really so stubborn!

ringo2, Dec 31, 1:03am
The only place for speed is on a racetrack where, theoretically anyway, everyone is travelling in the same direction. On the open road, slow down enjoy the scenery and smell the roses. Life is short enough without trying to hasten the end.

craigsmith, Dec 31, 2:25am
You have a point, it's just totally wrong-headed.

Even if we accept a generalized aggregate speed limit based on lowest common denominator thinking, and go with 100 km/hr for a given category of road, it is just moronic to think that it applies on every meter of that road for its full length. There may be bits where it's too high, but for the most part it will be far too low. That's just the reality of the above "set the bar as low as possible" approach combined with a road that varies in its visibility, curves, width, camber, surface, etc.

Beyond that, the 100 km/hr limit is just completely arbitrary. Do you really think the magic number is correct in the first place! Motorways here could easily be set at 110 or 120. Why a round number - why not 97.67 or 102.39 km/hr if it's such an important figure and exceeding it by 4.00% must be severely punished! Doesn't that strike you as suspicious!

Arguing about a difference of 4 km/hr is the height of idiotic pedantry. Enforcing infringement of the limit by that degree is just plain stupid and an outrage of a misallocation of police resources. And imagining that an "excess speed" of 4% over the magic number is automatically the correct principle factor in any accident is, well, words fail me.

This is a pointless exercise in relativism and abused statistics.

iginoi, Dec 31, 8:42pm
+1 mate. I feel that if you don't know the road, then learn it or get familiar with it. Me, I OWN the Desert Road and have drifted my Lux through the first and last sister many a time. The second sister used to be an ideal overtaking spot before it was smoothed out, while both my forward controls and boot heels are gouged out from cornering lol. Licence/medical/driving fitness re-testing should be carried out at a younger age and more often. Too many times I've had to do over 140 to get past an oldie who was only doing 85 then sped up to 110 for the passing lane.