Road toll lowest in 60 years

Page 1 / 7
flitt, Dec 31, 4:26pm
Once again. and I hope this is the last time I need to explain my answer to this. The announcement of a 4 km/h tolerance is an effort to get people to slow down. People think 'Oh, I usually exceed by about 10km/h and have always got away with that. While this 4km/h thing is going on, I will drive slower, coz I don't want to get pinged."

But no. For you and some others it's like a fascinating number puzzle. You can think all you like about the number 4 or the number 100. I don't know why they chose either, except that obviously the number 104 is less than the number 110. But the message is clear: SLOW DOWN DURING HOLIDAY SEASON. And that is all it is. They want people to slow down at this time of year because it's a peak time for high speed crashes in which people die. Is that so unreasonable!

lookoutas, Dec 31, 7:00pm
And has it worked this time!

"NO"

romulan7, Dec 31, 7:02pm
Sadly though some people just wont get thats the reason!It impinges on their Fun!
Thers another thing to consider is when things go wrong how long do you think help will take to arrive!especially at this time of the year!

romulan7, Dec 31, 7:05pm
Of course not, the messege has got stale with the lack of resources available to enforce it.They never had the resources to enforce it just the fear value and now that has worn off.

wrong2, Dec 31, 8:27pm
rubbish

it was just fear mongering to begin with!

the police rely on the average kiwi being a sheep & rolling over

wrong2, Dec 31, 8:28pm
it didnt work because its not an answer for anything crash related

people & their mental process cause crashes, not the speed

elect70, Jan 1, 12:28am
Hasnt finnished yetcould be few morecrashes .Will Ms Rose still maintain the 4 k over limitpolicy is still working & preventing accidents !

lookoutas, Jan 1, 2:23am
No it won't - coz everyone is now spending too much time looking at their speedo's

countrypete, Dec 21, 1:17am
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/12425543/road-toll-poised-for-60-year-low/
Interesting that the police attempt to take credit for the reduction from their enforcement efforts, but do not acknowledge hugely safer cars and better roads.

morrisman1, Dec 21, 1:21am
I wonder what the 'average speeds' were back in 1952, I bet they were at least 20km/h slower than we have now.

I agree with you, there have been many contributory factors other than cops handing out tickets that we can thank for the lower road toll.

ninja_man, Dec 21, 1:39am
269 deaths is still far too much.

countrypete, Dec 21, 1:44am
Of course it's far too many.100 is too many.But my gripe (or simply cynical acknowledgement) is that those whose task it is to lower the toll further, take credit for the lowered result, but don't recognise other factors over which they have no control, and which have a far higher contribution towards the lowered toll.

mone, Dec 21, 1:57am
Yeah but science behind cars design now are safer.They crumble around the occupants absorbing impact, meaning less deaths.The cars of 1952 were rigid, which would not pass safety tests of today.Also emergency and medical advances means more people are being saved on the spot and in hospitals.So its only natural that road tolls decrease with advance in technology.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 21, 1:58am
It's not too many. It's an acceptable rate per capita-kms travelled.

fordcrzy, Dec 21, 2:27am
how many drivers are on the road now compared to 1952!

once again cops fudging stats to make thier revenue gathering seem fair.

wrong2, Dec 21, 3:22am
the worst road toll year in NZ's history was during the 80 km/h era

wrong2, Dec 21, 3:24am
its a year when there was :

1) a serious economic downturn

2) super expensive petrol

as soon as kiwis are forced to watch their driving (trying to be economical) & end up driving less guess what happens

less death on the roads

its not the police force i dislike -- its the PR bullshite & lying & political spin they put out

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 3:37am
Ahhh so refreshing to see people getting it!

Time for us to demand the PR BS be dispatched with and some honesty from our Police and Govt.

BTW, anyone else notice the screeds of low speed areas going in between Auckland and Waihi!

The signs were not yet uncovered when I went through but looks like a whole heap of speed reductions in the name of "safety". Its really just going to be a revenue gathering exercise, rendering cruise control etc pretty pointless.

I think its time we demand a law that says state highways HAVE to be 100km/h zones and if the roads need improvements for that to happen then we improve the roads. The only exceptions being gorges etc where its not economical to improve the roads due to masses of rocks etc. These "exceptions" must be pre-existing low speed areas and carefully scrutinised.

nightsky1, Dec 21, 3:40am
Yeah- right
Lets get rid of all enforcement on the roads
Wow, think how safe the roads would be then.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 3:40am
Also. see its now sneakily 4km/h over the limit not 5km/h which is really Zero Tolerance given the accuracy of radar. when will the BS stop!

Come on NZ media stop lapping up this rubbish without questioning it.

rsr72, Dec 21, 3:40am
2 million population in 1952,
4.25 million 2011.

Our road deaths are low by any international comparison.

- it's the price we accept for progress.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 3:42am
Ahh, here we have another non-thinking drone. No one is saying get rid of enforcement completely, you are just dramatizing and being stupid, twisting the facts to your own silly agenda. anyone would think you work for the NZ Police.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 3:44am
Thats right, and meanwhile while the Police are putting obscene amounts of resources into revenue collection people are being harmed and killed because they don't turn up to emergency's in a timely manner.

Its about BALANCE and the balance is all short to hang.

richardmayes, Dec 21, 4:05am
That's the great thing about pushing your own political hobby-horse without any meaningful statistical analysis.You can take credit for any good news, while blaming the bad on anyone and everyone else.

So. what if there are 50 more deaths in 2012 than there were this year! That could easily happen. Would that mean 2012 model cars must be less safe! Or would that mean the roads have got worse again!

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 21, 4:07am
One year alone is not a statistically significant sample.