Road toll lowest in 60 years

Page 2 / 7
richardmayes, Dec 21, 4:15am
One good year always seems to be sufficient, when one is arguing for less "draconian Policing" or increased speed limits.

countrypete, Dec 21, 4:18am
Yes, that's exactly my point.Jazz is trying to turn the thread to suit his own personal crusade against the police, but the only point I'm making is the isolation of enforcement activities as the sole reason for a lowered toll.

countrypete, Dec 21, 4:19am
Spot on!

bwg11, Dec 21, 4:27am
Just wait and see - The LTSA (or NZ Transport Agency as they have re-branded themselves) will be paying themselves bonuses for a great performance, just like Maori TV,crediting the LTSA policing and attempts at driver education for the reduced toll, not safer cars as our fleet slowly modernises and the other factors which other posters have mentioned. .

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 4:28am
A year is positively definitive by NZ Police standards, often they try and sell us something based on a single weekend!

Glad that at least you have a grasp on basic statistics!

johnf_456, Dec 21, 4:30am
Can I play a violin!

lookoutas, Dec 21, 4:46am
People aren't driving as much - can't afford to - take ya pick, and that's not BS.
Panelbeaters throughout the country have never been so slack of work.
"Thank Christ for Supermarket Car-parks - Build more"

moosie_21, Dec 21, 5:08am
I love lamp. I love carpet.

romulan7, Dec 21, 5:17am
We always focus on the deaths never on the injury and non injury crashes, the last one non injury crashes will be vey hard to count given not all get reported.

smac, Dec 21, 6:33am
See here's the problem, that people think it's some third party agency's task to fix the road toll. It's my job, and your job, and your kid's job.

countrypete, Dec 21, 8:02am
I agree with you completely.However, the police have a lowered toll as a critical success factor, and when it (the toll) does come down, they are quick to claim the credit for that.The reality is, however, that the reasons for a lowered toll in nay one year are largely independent of police activity.

cowboy110, Dec 21, 8:25am
Agree. And although the Police probably shouldn't take full credit for the 100 less deaths on the road this year, and the lowest road toll in nearly 60 years, you've got to admit that they have certainly put a lot of effort into trying to acheive that result.The drink driving ads, the speeding ads, the drive to the condition ads, even those "mantrol" ads.Maybe, just maybe, the message might be getting through.They've probably got every reason to be pleased with the result.

mone, Dec 21, 10:07am
exactly, that piece of news release doesn't necessarily mean our roads are safer or people are driving better. Say if fatal toll is lower but serious injury toll is higher, it just means our emergency and medical services and technology are better but people are still driving recklessly.

shane.64, Dec 21, 10:18am
There's still two weeks to go and they are the wost two weeks.Lets wait and see

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 21, 10:33am
And the ninth lowest road toll since 1936. is 2008. Before this 4km/h bollocks was even introduced. Which should be significant to Police propaganda given their claims of success each time there's any other statistical blip, yet is strangely ignored. I wonder why.

coolnzmum, Dec 21, 10:43am
When I read this I read it as the police giving credit to the large portion o f drivers on our roads who stick to speed limits, drive to the conditions etc as stated in article.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 21, 10:50am
Wrongly. Credit is due only to people that can no longer afford to run their vehicles whimsically.

flitt, Dec 21, 11:21am
Where in that article do they take ANY credit at all! Nowhere, that's where. So now I am left wondering what the point of your post is.

r15, Dec 21, 1:10pm
this doesnt usually happen, but i agree with jazz.the nz public just keeps getting dealt more and more bullshi* little laws that remove any chance of nz's somewhat 'chilled out' society surviving long

why do we want a 4k tolerance when we had a more leanient 10k one before

why do we want lower speed limits everywhere!dont like 100k! simple, dont go 100k, just dont be an idiot come time for a passing lane

as for the road toll being lower, safe cars + expensive fuel + economic slow period = not much driving being done.

not much driving = not much crashing
not much crashing = not much dieing
not much dieing = police think new laws are success and endevour to bring in new ones to keep us on our toes

ginga4lyfe, Dec 21, 1:19pm
bloody safe, all the idiots will get rid of them selves, all the rest will learn how to drive properly in an unpredictable environment and Defensively too

flitt, Dec 21, 1:25pm
Ok, so back to the reasons for the 4km tolerance during silly seasons. Do you think it has any effect at all!

martinhb, Dec 21, 1:50pm
262 deaths 60 years ago, with a 6th of the cars on the road, does that mean a comparable toll would be 46!

cocabowla, Dec 21, 4:11pm
their radars are calibrated , its our vehicles that are not.

intrade, Dec 21, 4:45pm
they forgot to tell that people probably just have got no money to buy petrol as they got to buy food . that by the way Nz has about the secound highest food prices world wide if not the highest compaired to income.

gedo1, Dec 21, 7:33pm
"New Zealand is heading towards its lowest annual road toll in nearly 60 years as police note traffic is "noticeably calmer" around the country.

The official road toll on Wednesday stood at 269 just ahead of the Christmas holiday road period, and barring a horrific final few days, 2011 should record a sub-300 figure.

The last time that happened was in 1952, when the population was half what it is now and there was just a sixth the number of vehicles on the road than there are now. That year, 272 people were killed.

Since 795 road deaths in 1987 the toll has been dropping, despite increases in population, vehicle numbers and the amount of travel.

The majority of New Zealand drivers have taken the messages around the hazards of speed, drink driving and safety belts to heart, says road policing national manager, Superintendent Paula Rose.

Police have noticed a real difference in behaviour on the roads. Average speeds were down and the traffic across the whole network was noticeably calmer.

"The majority of drivers do stick to the speed limit, and drive to the conditions," she said.

"The majority wear safety belts, never drink-drive and are courteous, considerate and safe but between now and the end of the year there will be more people partying, travelling and celebrating the lead-up to Christmas."

Police would be out in force again this holiday period, and ticketing anyone caught driving 4km/h faster than the speed limit, she said.
The official holiday period runs from 4pm this Friday to 6am on Wednesday, January 4."

So where in this article (copied and pasted to here) is there a claim by NZ Police that THEY have caused the drop in the road toll!