Advice needed on idle problem!

rubberchcken2, Dec 24, 2:31am
The mrs has a '97 EK civic just standard as 1500 SOHC. Months back it had this issue, it happened at any time could be when it starts or it could run fine then when your in town at the lights at idol later on it will be idling fine then out of no where it starts dropping revs to like 100 like its gonna stall then it picks them back up to 700 then repeats til you tap the gas which stops it for a moment. It isnt a problem that is constant it might only do it every couple days then it disappears for a month or two then comes back again. Anyone have any ideas! I am stumped and not overly confident with engine work.

slacker8, Dec 24, 2:44am
Sounds similar to a problem we had with a Suzuki, replaced spark plugs and it was all good, but guessing it could be anything really.

heywillhay1, Dec 24, 2:46am
Does it start fine when its warmed up if you turn it off!

rubberchcken2, Dec 24, 2:50am
It starts up straight away fine every time. Runs great it hardly ever happens at start up but it has before moastly it happens 10 -20 mins later in town at the lights or waiting for parks.

rubberchcken2, Dec 24, 2:51am
Spark plugs were only done around 5,000km ago replaced them with platinum ones

mugenb20b, Dec 24, 6:38am
Remove air intake hose that connects the air filter to the plenum chamber. Clean out the internal part of throttle body (where the throttle butterfly is) with some carburettor cleaner. If that doesn't fix it, remove and wash the guts out of the idle air control valve and exhaust recirculation valve. If it all sounds confusing, go on 'you tube' and see how it's done. Usually, idling faults can be remedied by doing all of the above. Good luck.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 24, 6:41am
I agree, but if that dosn't solve it go looking for perished hoses and other sources of vacuum leaks in this area. I would say also test/check the MAF sensor but thinking about it now I am not sure your model has one.