Nissan Navara vs. Toyota Hilux

Page 2 / 4
bellky, Dec 29, 8:25pm
i think a hilux gives a better image

ashy8, Dec 29, 8:49pm
I'd go Hilux, its proven and has never really been the best, just the most honest and thats why people come back year after year. On a side note my experience in VW diesels (2010/11 transporter vans we have heaps of them for work) they are rubbish. They may go alright but hook low cog down a hill and they have no engine braking, seem more like driving a petrol low compression high boost I guess. Part prices are through the roof and build quality is very poor, I'm not kidding driving up gravel roads they actually fall apart around you.

bjmh, Dec 29, 9:21pm
Both good utes, i prefer Hilux.have changed mine every 3 years for the last 20yrs.resale has been excellent,probably your personal preference that will decide.

mrcat1, Dec 29, 9:29pm
NZ new Navaras don't have a AFM, they have a turbo boost pressure sensor in the inlet manifold that clogs up and then gives the pump false boost pressures which in turn makes them run lean and starts off by burning the glow plugs off and you get a tapping noise and then it will melt pistons. It was in the series one version which is pre about beginning 2005, i have a series 2 one that has done 180km and been used as a good work horse and it hasn't had a spanner on it except for regular servicing. I am looking at updating to the new Ranger with the 5 cylinder 3.2 Volvo engine.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 9:32pm
Shame you won't go and try the Amarok, its the winner on comfort and Towing. The Trailer stability program could save your life for starters. I say that having been in a Hilux that's flipped while towing.

Anyhow I will leave it at that as clearly you are not interested and I don't want to ruin your thread, pity though as you don't know what you are missing out on. Best of luck with whatever you purchase.

msigg, Dec 29, 9:34pm
I like the look of the nissan navara, I don't know about the reliability of both. Both are from good companies and may or may not have faults, alot of problems are good or bad luck. The new technologies of the newer engines certanly cost a penny if they develope problems, I own a none turbo nissan that i have had for 10 years with no problems at all but it dosn't have the power of the new ones. Good luck with your purchase. Drive bothand be happy with the one you choose. If you listen to too much feed back you will be dissapointed in everything. Cheers.

bubbles244, Dec 29, 11:13pm
nissan nirvara ST-x when it was released had the highest out put figures of any double cab 4wd ute.

amberjandal, Dec 29, 11:23pm
Latest Ranger 3.2 diesel eats the lot for safety , power , leg room in rear and towing and will eat them for resale in the years to come as well. Would be on my shopping list.

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 12:18am
Driver's fault. Nothing to do with the car.

austingtir, Dec 30, 12:39am
Man some people on here are talking out there arses about faults with the navara.Yes there are faults but what people on here are saying is just plain wrong.

Running rich is what blows turbo diesels up.

And no afm in some of the diesel models as stated.And it wouldnt cause holes in the pistons without other things seriously wrong.
Navaras are as reliable as any ute available.Just look on here at all the high mileage hiluxs and navaras says it all really.

trouser, Dec 30, 12:40am
The new 5 cylinder fords and mazdas have higher outputs.

austingtir, Dec 30, 12:45am
^^ yeah but nissan has 6 cyl twin turbo.
http://www.nissan.co.nz/commercial/navarastx550/

mrcat1, Dec 30, 12:47am
Thats why i know of at least 6 navaras that have destroyed engines, including one at 40,000km, if they over fuel they blow heaps of smoke and wash bores but that doesn't make them melt pistons or the ends of glow plugs, It is quite a known fact that the series ones had a problem with the boost sensor on them. If you don't know what your talking about don't get involved.

austingtir, Dec 30, 12:51am
D22's have problems with over torqued from factory rod bolts which makes them throw rods.
D40's have dodgy timing chains in some year models.
EGR blocking the intake is a much more likely cause for engine blow ups on any turbo diesel.

Again what your saying wont cause the blow up your claiming it will.

mrcat1, Dec 30, 12:52am
How do you get they are a twin turbo engine! The have one single in the back of the engine with a slightly wider V to accomdate the single turbo.

austingtir, Dec 30, 12:54am
Yeah could be wrong about that just though it was twins either way its a nice motor.

mrcat1, Dec 30, 12:55am
it's a Renault variant, nothing nice about those.

austingtir, Dec 30, 1:00am
Its still better than any of that other rubbish available.At the end of the day renault owns most of nissan which is why they get there name bandied about with everything NISSAN makes if you think renault designed that motor you need your head read.

friendly_prawn, Dec 30, 1:01am
first time I have ever heard of one, was when you mentioned it. Just done a google on it. It's only a 2L. In a big 4wd. Instantly crossed off my shopping list. And did some one say twin turbo! Twice as much to go wrong. Small stressed engine and underpowered for such a large vehicle. Personally I wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot barge pole. Yep, everyone's different. just my thoughts on it.
I only wish they would make more 3L + petrol engines in the 4WD range.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 30, 1:05am
test a new triton the gls is twice the truck the hilux is better ride comfort better saftey and power. triton offer a 5 speed auto with tiptronic and the 10/5 warrenty which is the best new car warrenty in nz

amberjandal, Dec 30, 1:06am
Agreed , drove one , no torque down low , no leg room in rear , no auto's either, was changing gear all the time to keep it going and torque didn't get produced till high in the revs. , looked OK but that was it.

amberjandal, Dec 30, 1:08am
Same truck with new engine , supposed to arrive Feb/March. When you do the research on numbers the torque is delivered at high revs , opeless for towing or real ute work.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 1:08am
Not drivers fault, fault with trailer, if the vehicle had Trailer Stability Control it would most likely have never got out of control or flipped.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 1:09am
Ironically the VW motor is actually the most reliable of the lot and has plenty of usable power. That's the trouble with armchair assumptions.

mrcat1, Dec 30, 1:10am
MMMMMM thats why i know of Renault truck engines dropping valves on their delivery trip. very inspiring for the new owners.