Nissan Navara vs. Toyota Hilux

Page 4 / 4
mikebumz, Dec 30, 5:35am
If i could afford one, i'd go with VW Amarok

mrcat1, Dec 30, 6:09am
The tow rating on a new Hilux is 2500kg, the nissan is 3000kg and the new Ranger is 3350. As for the VW ute I looked at those and decided they would be better suited as a Remuera tractor than a work horse towing every day of the week, with its 2 liter twin turbo set up i'm sure i could pull it to bits in a year.

wasser61, Dec 30, 7:25am
A direct comparison revealed that the Amarok has interior packaging issues. The Amarok does not have enough places for trade people or any normal person to store stuff around the cabin and it even has a tiny glovebox! Most critically you will find it hard to install CB equipment and other after aftermarket comms systems. Strangely for a new design there is zero places to store for your mobile phone within reach - cup holders don't count since they will have drink containers in them.

As side from the lack of low range gearing and an automatic on most models, the other huge question mark is the running costs for the new Amarok. Every VW has significantly high running costs after a few years and the Amarok will be no different.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 7:42am
Grasping at straws much!!
There are low range options and the fabulous 8 speed auto's are on there way.

You are quibbling about somewhere for your cell phone yet you neglect to mention the Amarok is the only one capable of fitting a full pallet on the back. Thats the sort of thing that actually matters and can't be remedied with a $5 phone holder.

You quibble about low range yet the Amarok out climbs the Hilux.

You are just playing with symantics in the hope no one will actually drive one and see for themselves the difference.

If you knew ANYTHING about running costs you wouldn't even try and play that card given VW running costs are generally the lowest of all commercial vehicles. Go and have a look for yourself. To argue that is just absurd and down right hilarious especially when its actually the TOYOTA commercial vehicles that have traditionally had the absurd running costs. Both in the way of ridiculously short service intervals, high fuel consumption and expensive repair bills (think cracked heads on the 1KZ).

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 7:46am
Whoops. you forgot to mention the Amarok's towing capacity. 3200KG which it is easily achieved with its class leading 132kw and 420NM of torque.

To argue on engine capacity alone just shows ignorance.

mrcat1, Dec 30, 7:53am
Not sure where you got those figures from, 2800kg towing, 120KW and 400Nm, thats direct from VW site. Which is less than a ST navara. 3000kg Towing, 126Kw and 403Nm.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 30, 7:58am
what is it with this jazz and his euro s**t

3monkies, Dec 30, 8:28am
Yep I know a farmer that got sucked in to one of them vw utes from having nissans for years, guess what he doesn't have it anymore, back to the Nissan shop for him! He did however keep the vw wagon not sure of the name he bought at the same time, he tows heavy trailers everyday with the utes and the vw didn't cut it!

woodworks, Dec 30, 8:35am
I asked for peoples opinion on Nissan vs Hilux. so thanks so far for all your comments, but we're sticking with the above two.We're tossing up between a 2x4 or a 4x4, diesel, manual with a cab, and so far we've noticed that the Nissan has more leg room in the back (comfort) and drives like a car (so to speak than a ute).Yes, we will be towing mainly on the road (but there will be some off road use to - very minimal).

3monkies, Dec 30, 8:43am
Personal preference at the end of the day they both have good and bad stories eg blowing up, clutches etc
Service regularly they both will do the job!

sunset69, Dec 30, 8:55am

friendly_prawn, Dec 30, 9:15am
yeah yeah I know, you want opinions on only the above two. But I cant help but suggest you should consider the triton 3.2.
I still cant get over how they drive on the road just like a car. Well worth considering IMHO.

mull05, Dec 30, 9:16am
havn't read through but what about the colorado!

savanna71, Dec 30, 11:15am
This site has some great reveiws and head to head comparisons, interestingly and contrary to jazz's statements the amarok is rated below all the competition

http://www.dixonarchive.com/prado/default.htm

friendly_prawn, Dec 30, 6:29pm
Careful guys, if you guys keep telling jazz how bad the Amarok really is, you're going to cause poor old jazz to have a melt down.

amberjandal, Dec 30, 7:40pm
When talking diesel utes - the only thing that should come in 2 litres is milk .

iginoi, Dec 30, 7:59pm
+1. Lux any day. Crumpy vouched for them, dogs 'swore' by them and two bulls dropped in on a couple of hot cows in the next paddock in one. Navara's are renowned for cracking around the chassis where the steering box is mounted, plus aaaaaaahm that's all I can think of right now

3tomany, Dec 30, 8:00pm
i dont normaly rate the colorado but if you can afford new this will be the cheapest option as they are the last one to be in runnout for an upcoming new model so you could buy new for the price of second hand other utes

r15, Dec 30, 8:06pm
Something i have noticed with the st navara and im not sure if it applies to the stx but the steering lock is shocking. Combined with the large vehicle it is makes a lot of farm tracks or gateways or manouvering with a trailer in confined spaces a real pain.I havnt driven back to back with the hilux but I don't remember it being terrible.

Just another point to consider. otherwise they are both nice utes