AKL Dealers Taking Advantage Of Tourists Again

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 4:07am
Here we are again, a tourist having made their way down here after buying a 'good car' from a dealer up yonder wants a couple of jobs doing , minor stuff - I think jesus this things rusty under here, how'd that get a WOF - what ho, its an Auckland WOF too - what do you know its been flagged by LTNZ as a banned motorvehicle 3 weeks AFTER the WOF! hmmmm

So of course these poor people have paid for & driven the car all these kms down here & are being given the run around by everyone - sadly seeing more & more of this, fly in to AKL & buy a car - by the time it reaches another major city all kinds of gremlins have shown up

Yeah yeah buyer beware etc - the scumbag that sold them this pile know FULL WELL it was rusted , looks like it had been a taxi on 90 mile beach FFS!

Ive done all I can to help them - getting sick of this system setup by LTNZ & the LMVD to pass the buck around & leave the buyer up to their neck in the poo - these people are hoping to leave NZ in 6 weeks for OZ to continue their OE - will be a hard battle to get it sorted in that kind of timeframe, obviously they should have full right of return & their $7000 back but I can see it becoming a right cockup

This is why small garages like myself end up footing the stupid fee's & politics of the current LTNZ structure - because of the rouge traders out there doing whatever they WANT arrrrrffghhhhh

supertech1, Feb 16, 5:18am
Post the reg and wof number

tgray, Feb 16, 5:20am
As you know, customers are protected by law regarding this. They need to go back to the dealer and voice their concerns, and if no joy, call the disputes tribunal and book a hearing.

afer_daily, Feb 16, 5:22am
hey zepyh. is the warrentfly by night or vtnz / or one of the main stream warrent guys.another trick is swapping plates and tags and taking a good car in. seen it mate.

afer_daily, Feb 16, 5:23am
oops im stuttering

superdave0_13, Feb 16, 5:26am
It's all part of the NZ experience. Maybe they should have rented instead.

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 6:33am
No more going on than Ive let on Kaz - I call spades spades

They bought it in December, it had a new WOF issued on 13 October (out of 28 day legal requirement hmm another ballsup) it had been flagged & banned from NZ roads on 11 November - I can only assume someone has taken it for a pre purchase on the 11th & this has been flagged at that inspection - I had a look over it today doing some minor cosmetic stuff so they could sell it when I saw the entire underside looking like the Titanic.
Weird thing is the cops pulled them over once during their road trip & told them the car was flagged as undriveable on NZ roads - the tourists said "Huh - see the WOF sticker tho!" so the cops said roll on.

what a fantastic system

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 6:37am
What steams me up is these poor pricks have had a rubbish time apart from the whole fracas about the rust - maybe something about our lack of kiwi hospitality these days
No wonder they defecate in public places!

pandai, Feb 16, 6:49am
I sold a friend's car here (a 94 Nissan Sunny), as I didn't want them driving around in a death trap.Someone hit the buy-now for $520 about 10 minutes after it was listed, and I was impressed we got that much.It had failed its warrant on about 8 different things, and had a busted clutch, an oil leak, and some rust which had been painted over rather rubbishly.

A Russian and a Brazillian dude turned up to collect it in an E46 BMW, which I thought was odd.Interestingly the car was also warranted and registered the next day.

I saw it listed the other week, it was sold to some tourists who drove it for a while and then sold it for $1900.

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 6:53am
This part also confuddles me - hence the dealer knowing something & the oafs at the place it was flagged letting it out the drive! weirder & weirder

I wont name names as it will jeopardize the entire case obviously, but its going to end up with a large fan & loads of poo hitting it for someone /s

franc123, Feb 16, 6:53am
I'd like to know about being "flagged by LTNZ".How did this happen unless it was stickered by the police!If so then of course the WOF it has becomes invalid and has to be put back through VTNZ etc, correct me if I'm wrong but had it been to a testing station since it just would have been entered as a failed inspection!Theres something not quite stacking up here.

tree51, Feb 16, 6:56am
I own a backpackers and see this sort of thing all the time. They come and stay with us and come to me and say we paid x for this and now look what we have to do to get a wof. It did not rust that much in 6 months and a 1985 hiace was not worth $5000 six months ago.

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 7:06am
It appears it was not a police issue - the rust - it was another agency that has 'banned from the road' this particular vehicle
Obviously nobody I called on 0800 was owning up to much - lovely assistants I am sure but not much assistance

tree51, Feb 16, 7:39am
10 years ago we did not see vans.Nowevery year we see more and more of them. None of them will do any maintainance on them so as they go fromone owner to the other they deteriate very quickly. When I talk to them about there vans most of them do not know how to check the water,battery etc.

tgray, Feb 16, 8:06am
There is more to this story than is being said here.
A dealer sold a car to a tourist that has apparently been banned from being used on the road!
Seems a simple case to me. No dealer could get away with this.

3412cat, Feb 16, 9:16am
If a dealer has its own wof department attached to its company or a friendly wof inspector elsewhere as far as im concerned they can pretty much give a wof to any dodgy car they are trying to sell "ive been stung like this in the past"
rule 1 buyer beware
rule 2 always insepct yourself "if you know what your doing" or independent insepction

elect70, Feb 17, 1:54am
I they are only tourists why dont they do what us kiwis did when went to aussie for 6 months , just drive it & leave it at the airport on departure . I left an old kingswood at Perth I bought in Brisbane, jumped out of gear , 1/2 l oil /tank of gas . Wonder how long before they took it away , remove the plates & leave keys in it .

richardmayes, Apr 27, 2:00pm
On a similar but unrelated note, would you all please try to sell the tourists 2 litre + station wagons to put their mattresses in, instead of those bloody horrible old vans!

(Got stuck behind a convoy of about half a dozen of them, heading down the Buller Gorge this time 2 years ago. Painfully slow trip. )